Opeth Ripp Off Tool?!

HellboundeD

Wondering Voyeur
Dec 7, 2003
www.undefinedstatus.com
So iam at school and i show my friends Opeth's Newer CD Damnation So they heard a bit of the CD and they had the fucking nerve to call Opeth a rip off of Tool And a Perfect Circle....I Dont know but i was pissed i smack them up side the heads for being Dumbass and leave....Tool and A Perfect Circle are nothing to Opeth

"Tool and A Perfect Circle are nothing to Opeth"

well some of the members of opeth listen to a lot of tool and apc, so i wouldnt be surprised if some of the riffs are inspired by them. i wouldnt say that tool and apc are better than opeth, but i wouldnt say they are worse. well, maybe apc kinda sux but tool are the best at what they do, just like opeth are the best at what they do. i dont see how comparing opeth to tool is an insult in anyway...?

Wtf?? You guys that are dismissing the Tool infleunces in Opeth are very ignorant. If you have ever heard both of them, they have a very similar sound, in terms of softer parts. Also, like someone also mentioned, they listen to TOol themselves, and I know one of Mike and Peter's favorite singers is Maynard. Did any of you read the Lopez interview where he HIMSELF talked about the similarities between each other???

Tool has been around longer than Opeth. At least as far as CDs go...

Opiate - 1992

Orchid - 1994

Score one for the newbie, and one for Tool.

how the hell does Opeth sound like Tool, APC? totally different styles of music I can see maybe..that Damnation might sound similar to some of APC's mellow stuff...You need to tell your friend to check out Opeth's other albums

Your friend is what we call 'a cunt'. that's right, no two ways about it. He is a little cunt.

But seriously, your friend is a cunt....no, what I'm tyring to say is...I see very few similarities...both great bands, but way different for mine.

Which reminds me of when one of my friends years ago compared Opeth to Metallica. Of course, apparantly you can make that judgement after hearing one guitar riff.

Opeth sounds nothing like Tool or APC.

Tool’s first CD came out in 1993, but they came out of a different scene, and their music is a lot different from Opeth.

I really don’t think of Damnation as having an “alt-rock” sound (APC).

Yeah? Mike started the band Eruption in '87. I'm pretty sure they were influenced more by King Crimson, who also influenced Tool, than Tool themselves. Not to mention Bathory, Venom, Death, Morbid Angel, Mercyful Fate, etc, etc.

kno talint said:
well some of the members of opeth listen to a lot of tool and apc, so i wouldnt be surprised if some of the riffs are inspired by them.
the drummer and bassist are the two more into tool. i dont think they write the riffs for opeth.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Wtf?? You guys that are dismissing the Tool infleunces in Opeth are very ignorant. If you have ever heard both of them, they have a very similar sound, in terms of softer parts.
you really need to listen to more bands. seriously.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Also, like someone also mentioned, they listen to TOol themselves, and I know one of Mike and Peter's favorite singers is Maynard.
mike said that his favorite guitarist was ritchie blackmore. i dont see how liking a person's music is proof that you try to sound like them.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Did any of you read the Lopez interview where he HIMSELF talked about the similarities between each other???
i dont think he mentioned any similarities, other than both bands try to be original. read it again.

I love both bands, but the idea of them being similar aside from long songs, some pretty weird music and general uniqueness, I find it

COMPLETELY
FUCKING (let's keep in mind that this is just MY OPINION)
RIDICULOUS

that anyone would dismiss Opeth as a Tool ripoff. Even if there are influences of Tool/APC in Opeth's music, and I don't see them, that's still a long way from calling them a clone or ripoff.

Is there any TOOL audible in Blackwater Park?

...that's what I thought.

Having influences from a band does not make you a rip off of that band. Otherwise, you can also say that your beloved Dimmu Borgir sounds like U2 for citing Bono as their influence.