Opeth and Tool

music is largely subjective, what truth are you referring to?

you can be the most amazing singer in the world and make crap music, as evidenced by those examples above. Technical singing ability takes a back seat to creativity, if you have both thats great....but I don't think any of those examples except elvis ever wrote a song, certainly not without it being overseen by a producer.

I'm with fadingessence on this one
and not everyone who thinks opeth is the best band on earth is being closed-minded. it's called taste and personal preference. it's impossible to choose the actual "best" band on earth, when people say this, they mean their favourite band. i've listened to many different varieties of music, given them chances even, and opeth is still near the top. now, I used to be a truly closed-minded Opeth-fanboy who would refuse to acknowledge that anything else was anywhere near them. all I listened to for months and months was opeth, porcupine tree, a bit of bloodbath, and a tiny bit of camel.

now i've opened up to more variety, though i'm still pretty limited to some subgenres of metal and prog rock.

saying that your favourite band is the best band in the world is a common thing. it's not arrogant or condescending unless it's meant to be, it's an emotional response to the strong connection you feel with that band. try living your life taking everything at face value and see how far it gets you.

IAmEternal: ive decided to live my life with open eyes; most people cant live through life hearing the truth and i understand if you cant either.

tenglish: nah, im not crying; im just pointing out that you're a retard. go back to your corner and pretend you have superior musical taste, but remember that you're still an idiot.

Sometimes I wish I was a pirate, then I remember that I'm a ninja. and so is Peter Lindgren, he told me so in a dream. He taught me the secret mind tricks of the death metal ninjas.

you have obviously never met the dreaded NINJAPIRATE!

By calling their band "the best" most people mean their personal favorite. It's obviously not possible to have one band truly be proven "the best" nor would anyone really want that to happen.

personally I like way too much stuff to call one band the best, i can't even make a top 10 list very easily. but when someone deserves credit, and I maintain Tool does, then i'll jump in.

As to Maynard writing the songs, it really wasn't what I meant but he certainly contributes to them. Adam Jones and Danny Carey arn't writing the vocal lines, it's a whole band contribution. My point was to differentiate between bands/artists that write songs based on what they feel is musically strong rather then a producer who is, essentially, writing what will sell the most records.

Shut the fuck up you goddamn retard. What was the point of saying whitney > someone equally shit > maynard? It's just going to anger Tool fans.

*points at username* Tool Rocks

They were my favorite band for a about a year, from the day I bought Lateralus and AEnima to the time I started buying Maiden albums, and I like them and Opeth just as much, both are my 2nd favorite band. They both have their strengths and weakness, but they're still both awesome bands, and an Opeth/Tool tour would have me drooling on the floor for days.

kno talint said:
yes that would be cool...but if tool takes opeth out on an arena tour...i would be dissapointed...small shows kick ass i refuse to pay 70 dollars to be like 98345u98347593 feet away from the band

I agree.

whoa...hold on. Tool is indeed popular (by metal standards) but they are in no way going to be selling out MAdison Square Garden. They're still stuck with doing the GA admission auditorium venues. You'd be able to fight your way up close, unless you're a total pussy.

does anybody else see it as kinda pointless to get so mad at each others opinions? i mean you're just running around in circles trying to place band A over band B. good luck resolving this. ever.