Opeth and Tool

I could see Tool taking out Opeth. Tool has always had a really cool view on bands they tour with. They like bands that are creative, regardless of popularity. I mean Tool went out of their way to take Meshuggah on tour (which was beyond huge for them), even though mainstream has basically zero interest in the inaccessible brilliance of Meshuggah.

Oh and Danny Carey slays Martin so hard its not even funny.

tool has great lyrics
amazing singer
one of the best drummers in hard rock...period

the guitarist isnt so great but he has a lot of great riffs and puts out a cool vibe
and the bassist...eh idk...hes normal i guess :|

anywho i like tool for these reasons but mostly cuz im a singer for my band and write the lyrics so im more a fan of maynard than the actual band...

Tool is nothing like Opeth.

Tool is one of the most overrated bands, IMO.

Everyone goes on and on about Tool being the savior of music, but they are mediocre at best. Sure, they may be “arty” and their lyrics may be “deep,” but that doesn’t mean that they are a great band. I personally think that their music is boring and their whole image is too pretentious. I saw them live once already and I wouldn’t want to see Opeth playing stadiums along with them. I like to be able to stand right next to the stage at a Opeth show, so it would be great if Opeth continued on as a cult band rather than something big. Don’t get me wrong, I am not one of these people who would hate Opeth if they became as mainstream as Tool. However, things wouldn’t be the same. You would no longer be able to see Opeth up close and personal at small venues. Instead, you would see them at these large venues with hundreds of people and that would take away the intimacy of their live performance.

Of course, you could always pay up the ass for front row tickets, but it wouldn’t be the same. That whole level of intimacy that Opeth has now with their fans would be lost.

hmmm Tool lyrics...according to alot of you are so very deep and meaningful. And that people who don't like them must not "get" them. Well, they seem pretty straight forward to me. Not a whole lot to get.

"It took so long to remember just what happened.
I was so young and vestal then, you know it hurt me,
but I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive,
even if signs seem to tell me otherwise.
I've got my haaands bound, my heeead down,
my eyyyes closed, and my throat's wide open.
(Do unto others what has been done to you. 2x)
I'm treading water, I need to sleep a while.
My lamb and martyr, you look so precious.
Won't you, won't you come a bit closer,
close enough so, I can smell you.
I need you to feel this,
I can't stand to burn too long.
Released in this sodomy.
For one sweet moment I am whooooole.

(Do unto you now what has been done to me. 2x)
You're breathing so I guess you're still alive
even if signs seem to tell me otherwise.
Won't you, won't you come just a bit closer,
close enough so I can smell you.
I need you to feel this.
I need this to make me whole.
Release in this sodomy.
For (I am your witness that blood and flesh can be trusted 2x).
And only this one holy medium brings me piece of mind.

Got your haaands bound, your heeeead down,
and your eyyyes closed. You look so precious now.

I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this
shit blood and cum on my hands.
I've, come, round, full circle.

My lamb and martyr, this will be over soon.
(You look so precious. 4x)
You look so precious now.
You look so precious."

Not saying they're bad or dumb...but, they sure as hell aren't that thought provoking.

I used to be a HUGE Tool fan... not so much any more, but they were my first "favorite band" so they're special to me :p I remember spending hours analyzing the lyrics to Ænima while rolling... hehe.

For those of you discussing Tool's lyrics, there is an interpretations board at toolshed.down.net lol

Lateralus

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
lets me see.
As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
drawn beyond the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
lets me see there is so much more
and beckons me to look through to these infinite possibilities.
As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
drawn outside the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.

Feed my will to feel this moment urging me to cross the line.
Reaching out to embrace the random.
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human.

With my feet upon the ground I lose myself
between the sounds and open wide to suck it in,
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Spiral out. Keep going, going...

I love Tool as much as the next guy but anyone who says they aren't angsty at all can go listen to Hooker With A Penis. Then we talk.

Also, that song Prison Sex is an old one, I guess their lyrical approach wasn't as developed yet... or maybe it was but they just chose to approach that song in a more straightforward manner?

I dont want people to think i was trying to say theirlyrics are "deep" or anything, just what I always believedI like them, and lyrics don't have to be deep, they have to be well written to satisfy me. It's all a matter of taste, but I believe that Maynard writes some pretty powerful stuff.

lol...well thats why I pointed out Lateralus and 46&2 as very specific when i'm talking about "deep".

although hooker with a penis more bashes the angsty crowd then it is angsty itself. I mean linkin park is angsty and whiny and all that, Hooker with a penis is just fucking hilarious. I think it's actually a pretty witty verbal bitchslap.

Tool is my favorite band, and Opeth comes in a close second. They are both amazing bands, and anyone who says that either's music is played out or boring needs an evaluation....

see, thats what i mean - whenever someone has a different opinion, an idiot starts saying "anyone who says that [insert band name here] is played out or boring needs an evaluation."

you like these bands and thats great, but dont think that any of your music is better than others. music is subjective and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Tool...not so much. Pretty good drummer (Tomas Haake kicks his ass though), but weak guitar. Most of the lyrics are just pseudo-intellectual trite crap. About that philosophy lesson that someone gave us: it doesn't matter if it all makes perfect sense, it's not especially thought provoking, it doesn't emotionally take you anywhere. It's just pretentious nonsense. Angsty, obscure, kinda mystical nonsense.

Mikael kicks Maynard's ass.

Mikael kicks Maynard's ass? How so? the_drip: That was one of their older songs, obviously they haven't matured or developed as much as they are now. I know everything related to music IS subjective, but I don't understand how anyone can say Tool's lyrics are average. It's just so well-written, and to the point, the delivery from Maynard is probably the most brilliant.

Maybe if you heard the song, it'd take you somewhere, like it took me and countless others. I know this all sounds like some ass kissing, but obviously something happened for me to do this.

Bah... with a few shots of bourbon Tool put me into a hypnotic trance-like state. When in that state, I absorb things much better, like philosophical literature. Its just a vice, and probably only psycological, but it works for me. Helps me at least attempt a higher learning and better understanding of the world.

Here's some insightful lyrics for you:

I kissed Jesus in the donkey and it believed that therefore putrid
good I could do calm kiss it a certain day, if it can make the Jesus
available, which is goods a Wanker of Homo and I think that all
Christians should not die to me to be able help however laugh, if I
intend someone, in order to congratulate the beoynce