Silly Tool Fans

OK - I went to the site.

How about Brittany Spears vs. Opeth? Actually, I think it was a pretty stupid thread from the start. I can't see any comparison between the 2 - yeah, I suppose you can compare intrument vs. instrument, vocals vs. vocals, etc., but you can do that with any bands.

N'Sync vs. Backstreet Boys
Brittany vs. Christina
Beatles vs. Rolling Stones
easier to compare

Man! Why do you do that to yourself??? That's why there's a Tool Forum and an Opeth Forum, because we all can't just get along. How many times have the two been compared here? Many times. I went and read what they were saying, and all it did was provoke me. Who needs it.

Tool definitely has it's own aura about them that makes it captivating to listen to. It's the feeling that he projects when he sings. But, they were saying that Opeth lacks emotions. So, BANG! Right there, you should know they either don't know the music/band or they don't care to know. It's almost like they're saying that Opeth IS great because they're comparing their favorite band to them. Trying to make sure that..."Yeah, Tool IS better than the outstanding Opeth." :D

"Opeth vs. Tool, tonight at 11:00 on HBO. Will our star Swedish Screamer be hammered?!" :rolleyes: Ewe, cheesy puns. Ya got to love them.

Lynn

It's funny how some of the TOOL supporters argued that "Danny Carey is recognized to be the best..." or "TOOL is the Led Zeppelin of our time". Tool plays hard rock music. TOOL is popular. Opeth plays a variant of death metal. Opeth is not as popular as TOOL. Popularity is very important in the points those people brought up, and it shouldn't play a part in a comparison at all.

Notice how my name, Useful Idiot, is the fourth song on TOOL's Aenima. I love TOOL, I love Opeth. I will not put one over the other.

Thanks for the tip, I went there to vote.
And look at those lovely numbers *smiles*

I actually read through that entire post...I never liked Tool all that much, but after the release of Lateralus I have been giving the stuff I have heard a second chance. While I think some of it is good, I think that the only thing Tool has that Opeth doesnt is catchiness ans a radio friendly air. Opeth got my vote in any case

Nnnnooooooooooooo I love mullets, they are one of the greatest things ever. I mean they represent the ONLY thing the 80's ever did 4 us (well mayb not) But they are really good :) Oh yeah, if it ever happens can u join the koyoto(??) agreement and scrap the missile defense plan?? Thanx in advance.... ;)

Read over that forum... was about to post something there myself but decided against it, thought I'd just stick it here instead, it really doesn't apply to those who don't also post here anyways, so...

Duvall, excellent reviews of both bands. You were articulate and dignified and represented anything you could possibly represent very well. The Americans can't have you, dammit, Canadian politicians suck, we need to get them out of there (and the falling apart Canadian Alliance? groan... anyways...) Hey, might you hypothetically need a Minister of Propaganda one day, by any chance?

Anyways, Unfortunately, there was a lot of pointless bickering and name calling crap from both "sides" going on that was pretty unfortunate. One side of me was a little dissappointed that the representative "Opethians" (once again, if I may) weren't all above that, but I also know for me to hold expectations of a few people I've never met simply because I've talked to them on this forum and they like the same band I do is quite silly on my part.

Incidentally, Duvall, as well-written as your instrument by instrument, member by member breakdown was, (and you know all this already, I know) you're still attempting to describe music with words and slice it into terms, which, although it's all you can really do, can never convey music itself, but that's the nature of the universal language... it can't be translated. I don't know who (although I figured out it actually WASN'T Frank Zappa) once said "talking about music is like dancing about architecture". When it comes down to who's better, and presenting two bands, a consensus will never be gained and probably shouldn't. I guess with that discussion I'll say that the public (in as little regard as I generally hold them) spoke.

I leave the computer for a whole day and all this happens... :)

Take it easy, all.

P.S. Mullets are the lingering visual representation of the stylistically devoid 80's. Ugly, ugly haircuts...

Heheh... yeah, you were your usual intelligent self until you got dragged into that... which was, I must admit, on some levels pretty funny. If you were having fun then it was all good (to steal a contemporary expression)... I had figured it was getting annoying past a point and that's the feel I was going on.

(I just realized how serious my above post sounded)

Cheerio... (or Corn Flake, whatever)

The bulk of you came over and started insulting Tool supporters left, right and centre... Opeth kick ass, as does Tool. You lads and lasses constantly compare the two is some form or another...I just put what you think into an objective sense.

For such an intelligent musical entity, you guys come up rather short, Xtokalon and Mikael is God being two names that spring to mind.

"Fans which are smarter Tool or Opeth? No surprises who will win that."

Yes it was me who started the poll too.

I got into Tool recently and immediately loved them, they're one of my few top favorite bands now. Still, I think there's just more in Opeth's songs, so I have to give them my vote.

What I hate is when people can't say "I like A better" without saying "and B sucks." That's where the trouble starts.

-Hondo