The problem with Tool

Cryptophile

Admatha
May 6, 2002
Visit site
Tool and Opeth are not comparable...Tool sucks and Opeth does not..."Hooker with a Penis." What the hell is this junk? Do not tell me that there is some hidden message here and that you have to be some kind of genius to come up with that name or to "hear the message"...It is just pathetic. Also from the song, "Jerk Off" (as if that's an intelligent name) how artistic and intelligent are the lyrics,"I should kick you, beat you, f*ck you, and then shoot you in your f*cking head." If you must sing about killing some one, at least word it intelligently, with some style! And listen to this, this is a quote from a tool website! "All references to "shoot you in your f*ck*ng head" are now performed live as "f*ck you in your f*ck*ng ass" -- a more appropriate message for the times." WTF! As for people who think that the singer from tool screams longer than "anyone ever", listen to "Open Face Surgery" sung by Lord Worm, the former singer of Cryptopsy on the album Blasphemy Made Flesh...He screams for 27 seconds while growling with no effects. "Open Face Surgery" at least Cryptopsy says,"I'm gonna break your face" with style.

I believe Maynard screams for 30 seconds on the new album.

The lyrics are incredibly intelligent. You refered to lyrics from the EP. I'm sure the entire band have grown as people, and the lyrics have improved drastically. Besides, there is a message to the lyrics on the Opiate EP.

No offense to Lord Worm, but Maynard has more talent than he does anyday, both lyrically and vocal-wise. I really love Cryptopsy, though.

and he also manages to hold the note for so long without fail when live ive heard.

Ok. Tool and Opeth are similar in many ways..... but SO FUCKING DIFFERENT in what they are trying to achieve, and so completely different in their talents.

The tool drummer is 100000x more inventive and creative. The drums in tool are the way of the future, in many points they are riffs in themselves, whereas Opeth's drums follow the old way where drums simply support the guitars (although doing this well and adding to the sound of the riffs). Im unsure which drummer is tighter or faster, but the tool drummer is definitely more creative and acts more as another main instrument rather than a backing instrument. And of course tool are fucking very good with odd time signatures, unlke most bands who scream out "HEY LOOK AT THIS!!!" they use them appropriately and most casual listeners wont even think its weird, it just helps create a certain feel for the songs, and thats what they are trying to achieve.

The Tool guys are crazy, there is a large portion of 'joking around' in their songs, which a band like Opeth doesnt include. Steve Vai is another one who includes a lot of jokes and things that make him laugh in his songs, and he gets the same reactions that you get.... complaining about the artistic value, which is just kinda stupid. I think you'll find tools lyrics are a lot deeper than they seem anyway, if he's singing about killing someone its probably not meant to be taken literally, i dont think most songs are really about what they seem to be about.

Maynard is also a very creative singer, if it wasnt for him and the drummer then tool would be nothing, coz the guitars in tool are very basic, its the drums and vocals that add the different 'flavours' most of the time.

In song structuring skills id say Opeth and Tool are equally talented, although again achieving different things, Tool have long hypnotic journeys that slowly progress and i guess are more explorations of similar themes.... Whereas Opeth take you in completely different directions and changes.. Now which one you prefer is just a subjective thing and in no way a representation of the skill of the band

The guitars are the biggest let down for me in Tool... as far as each individual song it seems appropriate to stick to similar scales and riffs and whatever, but i find that listening to an album like Lateralus most of the songs end up achieving basically the same thing coz he's always using very similar patterns and riffs, some slight changes would allow him to represent the feelings he's trying to convey much better. And also, some more interesting guitar work would allow Maynard to excel, rather being forced to sing for 80 minutes over only 4 or 5 different types of riffs.

So yeh. those are my thoughts. Tool are extremely skilled because i honestly think that the only limitation they have is their guitarist which drags down a few other elements. But they are still achieving and creating exactly what they want to achieve, and as such they are a good band. Lots of credit to them, their attitudes to music are as good as it gets, these guys are about the emotion and artistry (... and fun), they dont appear in their own filmclips, their live shows are primarirly about the music, not the performers. etc.etc. I can see how you cn not like them, but i cant see how you could say the suck.

some of tools lyrics aren't great, although, but i think the music is great, and thats what i listen to it for...most of my favourite bands have pretty bad lyrics, with probably only the exception of opeth...good lyrics aren't really what i look for...and to be fair you havn't exactly pick their best songs in your examples...they might often be less poetic, but that doesn't make them less meaningful, or unintelligent

Originally posted by Bumblefoot
Yes lovely first post. Unfortunately i am one of those stupid poor bastards that loves tool's style and does think it is quite creative. I'm not one big on lyrics too often so i hardly care what they sing about.

Same goes for me!!
Welcome to the forum.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bah, Tool's guitarist is great. He has his own particular sound and style. You know who's playing, even if somebody hasn't told you. He's a better musician than he is a player, and for Tool, thats definetely a more important factor.

i cant listen to tool these days, i find their music boring...
it used to have an epic sound to it now i found it somewhat dull, maynards voice is whiney and the guitars boring, i agree the drummer is very good though
i got dragged along to see them in concert a couple of weeks ago and i must say it was rather shit... they f*cked around to much on stage, the sound quality was shockin cause they were playin far too loud and they only like 3 or 4 of their best songs...

The reason TooL kicks so much ass is b/c of how unique they are. When a shitty band like say CREED comes along and has success, other bands start coming out just like them. This doesn't happen with Tool b/c it can't. Maynard's voice is too big a unique part of it to be replicated. YaGoGAk already mentioned the drumming, but equally important is the way the bass guitar sticks out. I'm surprised noone has mentioned this yet. Cryptopsy is an over-rated under-rated band. Hehehe. Trying to compare them to TooL is just stupid.

Originally posted by Eld
Bah, Tool's guitarist is great. He has his own particular sound and style. You know who's playing, even if somebody hasn't told you. He's a better musician than he is a player, and for Tool, thats definetely a more important factor.
Yes, but what i was saying is that his "own particular sound" is way too limited. He does indeed have the compositional skills though, i just honestly think that some slight more use of different scales and chords and things would improve tool's music so so so much. I think it would enhance what they are trying to achieve.

I can listen to any one song from Lateralus and be amazed and interested. But i cant listen to the album for longer than two songs because by then ive heard basically the same thing already. There are of course people who disagree, and thats fine. Its probably because he simply doesnt excel in the areas ive been focusing on in my own guitaring, and so i notice..

Once again I am amazed by YaYoGakk's ability to say what I can't put into words. Well said man, well said.
thanks! :)

Originally posted by Metal88
Maynard's voice is too big a unique part of it to be replicated.
The singer from the band "Earshot" immitates Maynard in every way... as does the guitarist...

But they suck, they can immitate the sound and basic scales, but they lack every single element that makes Tool good (ie creativeness, originality, drums, song structure, etc).

As far as I'm concerned, Tool can fucking die. There isn't a single aspect of their music that I find creative, revolutionary, interesting, exciting, good, tolerable, inspiring, intelligent, etc.. They are a fucking pop-rock band, but since one of the members has been sexually molested as a child that gives them the right to pretend to be "dark, demented and pissed off", therefore a majority of their stupid videos has to be censored, which would, of course, make them "cool". The same notion would also percipitate many people into thinking that Tool is an underground band. They are as underground as fucking Pavaroti. It's a sad day for music when a band's main motivation for writing songs comes from being fucked up the ass when they were little. So, I say fuck tool. Try listening to real music instead.

Originally posted by Misanthrope
A true elitist wouldnt talk to a piece of shit like you, to none of you in fact.

Misanthrope ( talking to less and less people of this forum everyday )
So, what you are saying is that eventually we won't be hearing from you anymore? heh heh... Is this supposed to be a bad thing? lol!