The problem with Tool

Divine_intent said:
Why do you bring Cryptopsy into this u stupid fucking poser fag?
When i see your post im damn ashamed of being a cryptopsy fan.
Yes i know you are like 14 years old and you got your first cryptopsy mp'3 and going like WOW Im into so brutal music i must post this on all forums so people think im extreme.
Now i asume you live in America like the rest of the young fan wannabe fags so just get a gun and kill your self and do the rest of the world a great favor.

^^^^^ By far the dumbest and off-topic reply i've seen in this (already stupid) debate.

"When i see your post im damn ashamed of being a cryptopsy fan." - so you're saying you're ashamed of being a fan of a band because of someone else? paaaathetic.

:cool:

Before i voice my opinion on Tool, i'll say i quite like them. Some Tool songs i really like such as Sober, 46 & 2 and Eulogy but most of their stuff doesn't interest me because i find it dull (not it is dull, i find it dull). Tools songwriting ability is very good, but to say their drummer is amazing...i can't understand it in any way. Jazz drummers such as Buddy Rich are far superior and mike portnoy is a personal favourite for progressive music. As for guitars and vocals again there are so many more far talented people out there. Most of tools guitars sound like something from the 1920s to me as they sound twangy like George Forman singing 'I like cleanin' windows' and Maynard just sounds Irish when he sings. And do they purposly record their stuff badly? Their music just seems poorly produced to me.

All said and done i think Tool make some good songs with good atmousphere but all the Tool fans i know in real life just go on and on about them SO much and they are so protective about them it drives me insane. If someone tells me a band i like are rubbish i couldn't care less but the Tool fans i know go mental when i hear people telling them how they don't like them

Divine_intent said:
Slipknot_isn't_metal what a smart nickname you have Reverend Bizarre.
I bet it took years for you to make that out.

No, not really, i just ripped it off from one of my favorite bands.(the Reverend Bizarre name that is). And if you're reffering to my previous username, well it had a little bit to do with alcohol, a lack of imagination and of course a bunch of people calling SK metal ...nothing special at all, I never considered them metal.

Nice attempt at flaming, however you may want to hand that over to someone who can actually do it. :wave:

Riiiight...

Back to the music. I could never get into Tool, because I found it boring. The music, and not because it is boring, but because I found it boring. I've always liked Prison Sex(the song, people) and Parabola and Schism both had memorable moments.

I do find the band overrated. Danny Carey is really the only all-star musician in the band. Maynard only recently proved he could sing, and the gitarist and drummer are marginally talented, enough to make for an occasionally interesting riff or something. The first bassist was better.

I think Ænima is an overrated sludgefest. The humor isn't funny, and the singing is horrible, the lyrics do suck(yes, Jimmy included) and there is a lot of filler. It's like Korn with Pink Floyd mindsets, so no wonder kids think they're God. The album is really just something people use to attempt a pseudo-intellectual image.

The band has talent, in crafting excellent prog-rock, but they have done so little that is truly groundbreaking(except their videos, sweet!).

Lateralus has good production, and Undertow is decent because Disgustipated is actually funny, Prison sEx and Sober aren't bad, and the band doesn't sound like their falling asleep.

Opeth are much more favorable in my book. Sorry, Tool fans.

I don't really want to comment on the band itself... the most i'll say is that i have to be in a mood in order to listen to them... a very, very, VERY patient mood...

Anywho, it is my personal opinion that Tool has the single most fucking annoying, pathetic fan base of any band. I mean, HOLY SHIT. Fuck, i'de shoot myself if my fans were anything like Tool's..

Cryptophile said:
Tool and Opeth are not comparable...Tool sucks and Opeth does not..."Hooker with a Penis." What the hell is this junk? Do not tell me that there is some hidden message here and that you have to be some kind of genius to come up with that name or to "hear the message"...It is just pathetic.

Actually, you have to be open-minded and not pre-judgemental. The song is about being called a sellout. Get it? Selling yourself out? Hooker with a penis? Sheesh.

Also from the song, "Jerk Off" (as if that's an intelligent name) how artistic and intelligent are the lyrics,"I should kick you, beat you, f*ck you, and then shoot you in your f*cking head." If you must sing about killing some one, at least word it intelligently, with some style! And listen to this, this is a quote from a tool website! "All references to "shoot you in your f*ck*ng head" are now performed live as "f*ck you in your f*ck*ng ass" -- a more appropriate message for the times." WTF!

Tool is very tongue-in-cheek. The sarcasm flew right over your head. They don't take things as seriously as you do.

As for people who think that the singer from tool screams longer than "anyone ever", listen to "Open Face Surgery" sung by Lord Worm, the former singer of Cryptopsy on the album Blasphemy Made Flesh...He screams for 27 seconds while growling with no effects. "Open Face Surgery" at least Cryptopsy says,"I'm gonna break your face" with style.

Does it matter?

LOL Tool *does* have a VERY annoying elitist fanbase and that probably does turn a lot of people off to Tool. Hell, I am a Tool fanboy -- they're my favorite band. But that doesn't stop me from liking other music. As I can see there are a lot of Tool fans that like Opeth too.

But the fanbase is what differs. The Tool message board I visit has a lot more assholes than this board. The Opeth fanbase is a lot more mature than the Tool fanbase (obviously because of the popularity).

Anyway about the music, it's an either love it or hate it thing. If you're patient, you love it. If you aren't, then you don't. Also you have to get into it, like understand the lyrics and the story behind it. Plus their enigmatic image makes the band a lot more intersting IMO.

Tool does not suck. You simply cannot say that. They may not sound good to you, but you gotta respect their talent. Same goes for Opeth. At first I HATED the death vox. But I respected the guitarwork, and eventually I gave the vox a chance and now I love those parts over the mellow parts.

YaYo said:
whereas Opeth's drums follow the old way where drums simply support the guitars (although doing this well and adding to the sound of the riffs). Im unsure which drummer is tighter or faster,
i just gotta point that if you havent seen Martin play Deliverance live you dont know what you're talking about. I sat there mesmorised seeing this guy play deliverance material. perhaps deliverance is a bit of exception as it stands out more (as far as drums go) but just after seeing that bit i would never say Martin's not creative enough.

sf