The problem with Tool

Both Opeth and TOOL kick all amounts of ass and can never be truly duplicated. What I really love about TOOL besides the music is how they stay on the outskirts of the maintream and don't whore themselves out.

TOOL is my favorite band. I saw them live at Roskilde 2 years ago, it was awesome. Who cares if they don't bang their heads or go running wild on stage.

Why do people have to start these fucking annyoing "hate-threads". Lets start a "Linkin Park sucks major ass" thread, shall we? I dislike a lot of bands myself, but I don't start pathetic patronizing talk about it just to piss people off.

And who has said that TOOL is a prog band? Lateralus may have some progressive (similar to "long" some seem to think) parts, beeing inspired by bands such as King Crimson. TOOL is an unique band, and shouldn't be labeled in anyway but rock or metal. TOOL is TOOL. Simple as that. And they are fucking great.

...and YaYo....keep those posts coming. Love em.

Of course, we can just settle this quite easily:

Tastes in music are entirely subjective. It's just like viewing art. However, there are some things that can be judged across the board, and in this case it's technical talent.

In terms of technical talent, Tool rates very high up on my list. Whoever said that they could replicate anything that Danny Carey could play.... here's my challenge, go listen to Eulogy and try and replicate the section where it's just drums and vocals... that's 4/4 with hi-hat opened every 3, making for a shifting pattern. Takes quite a lot of practice, let me assure you. Then you can go and play Ticks and Leeches.

As for the rest of the band, people seem to forget that in some cases less is more. This applies mainly to Tool's guitarist, who in my opinion is musically blessed, even if he isn't a very technical player. The bassist is also a much more subtle bassist... if you listen his part is mainly laying a very solid foundation for the rest of the band. Tool is very much a collective effort, not 4 guys who can play really well deciding to try and patch something together.

Maynard's lyrics (in the non-joke songs) actually have a lot of thought behind them, and if you don't catch some of the references, well, bad luck, go read some books. I'm not trying to be snobby about this, but the fact remains that to capture the meaning of the lyrics, you need to understand where Maynard is coming from. If you don't, fine. Don't buy the record.

I think that too many people hate on Tool simply because they're sick of those "hardcore" Tool fans who are intent on cramming Tool down people's throats. What they forget is that many of those fans are just like pop fans - Tool is the new "underground" trend to make you look as if you actually know something about music, despite the fact that many of those "hardcore" fans wouldn't recognise a 7/4 rhythm if it hit them in the face. They're just in the process of hopping bandwagons, we're hoping they'll be gone by the next album.

So yeah, basically if you want to rag on Tool on technical grounds, you really need to check your facts. Danny Carey is cited by many respected drummers who are both in and out of the metal scene as an influence, simply because of his phenomenal work on odd time signatures and polyrhythms. Adam Jones is cited as an influence because he has one of the nicest guitar sounds, and has been able to consistently produce riffs that are simple, yet still possess a strange technical quality. I don't think you can hate on Tool technically. But if you don't like their music, that's fine. No-one forced you to listen.

Tool is a much deeper band than most people are ready to get into. Every lyric written and every image used in videos, album art, etc....has some type of revelance. Study up on reincarnation and you will begin to understand alot of the meanings behind the songs.

Cryptophile said:
Tool and Opeth are not comparable...Tool sucks and Opeth does not..."Hooker with a Penis." What the hell is this junk? Do not tell me that there is some hidden message here and that you have to be some kind of genius to come up with that name or to "hear the message"...It is just pathetic. Also from the song, "Jerk Off" (as if that's an intelligent name) how artistic and intelligent are the lyrics,"I should kick you, beat you, f*ck you, and then shoot you in your f*cking head." If you must sing about killing some one, at least word it intelligently, with some style! And listen to this, this is a quote from a tool website! "All references to "shoot you in your f*ck*ng head" are now performed live as "f*ck you in your f*ck*ng ass" -- a more appropriate message for the times." WTF! As for people who think that the singer from tool screams longer than "anyone ever", listen to "Open Face Surgery" sung by Lord Worm, the former singer of Cryptopsy on the album Blasphemy Made Flesh...He screams for 27 seconds while growling with no effects. "Open Face Surgery" at least Cryptopsy says,"I'm gonna break your face" with style.

When you know what you are talking about come back to see me.

Just because you might not like something, doesn't mean it isn't any good.

That being said, I think that Tool sucks. I saw them live twice. Once about a 2 years before they released Undertow at a $7 show in Buffalo. They were booed unmercifully for their enitre set (which was about an hour and a half!) Bad first impression. Then I saw them at Ozzfest in '99. They were incoherently bad. They will get no third chance from me, as I think their studio stuff is boring and as hell as well. Their songs just seem to meander along. You won't ever hear me mistaking them for a progressive band. Their songs progress absolutely nowhere; never can quite hit the mark. Doesn't do it for me, never will.

Wandering Third Eye said:
Tool is a much deeper band than most people are ready to get into. Every lyric written and every image used in videos, album art, etc....has some type of revelance. Study up on reincarnation and you will begin to understand alot of the meanings behind the songs.

You have to understand Buddhist teachings in order to understand the music? :p

Cryptophile said:
Tool and Opeth are not comparable...Tool sucks and Opeth does not..."Hooker with a Penis." What the hell is this junk? Do not tell me that there is some hidden message here and that you have to be some kind of genius to come up with that name or to "hear the message"...It is just pathetic. Also from the song, "Jerk Off" (as if that's an intelligent name) how artistic and intelligent are the lyrics,"I should kick you, beat you, f*ck you, and then shoot you in your f*cking head." If you must sing about killing some one, at least word it intelligently, with some style! And listen to this, this is a quote from a tool website! "All references to "shoot you in your f*ck*ng head" are now performed live as "f*ck you in your f*ck*ng ass" -- a more appropriate message for the times." WTF! As for people who think that the singer from tool screams longer than "anyone ever", listen to "Open Face Surgery" sung by Lord Worm, the former singer of Cryptopsy on the album Blasphemy Made Flesh...He screams for 27 seconds while growling with no effects. "Open Face Surgery" at least Cryptopsy says,"I'm gonna break your face" with style.

Most ignorant thing i've ever read in my life, seriously at least know something about a band before trying to make "logical" opinions on them. Tool will kick your fucking ass and I think they're the greatest band out there right now. If you can find anyone who sings like Maynard or plays drums better than Danny Carey i'll be shocked. Fuck you buddy! :hotjump:

Y'know, I really like Tool alot, but some Tool fans FUCK me off heaps. I'm talking about the hardcore insane fanatic Tool fans, they are MUCH MUCH more annoying then hardcore Opeth fans, or Dark Tranquillity fans or other bands fans.

They just go on and on and on about how smart and creative Tool is, and how they are the BEST band in the world and no other band compares, and they have the best artistry and blah blah blah. Its bullshit as well, when it comes to artistry Maudlin of the Well > Tool BY FUCKING MILES.

I love Tool and will continue to do so...they're music is great, amazing drummer, and yes, smart lyrics and fascinating artistry. HOWEVER, some Tool fans are fucking disgraceful in the way they phase out all other music and all other opinions because they assume that since Tool is so arty they are the be all and end all of music. If you don't think there are people like that out there...TWO OF MY FRIENDS ARE LIVING PROOF. There is no band in the world worth listening to except Tool, to these fools, and anything even remotely negative about Tool is to be retorted with: 'You've missed the point, and you don't understand Tool, they are too deep for you'. Arrogant bastards.

Tool is great...but they are NOT some sort of freakin musical messiah.

I agree with you there for the most part Static, some people seem to think that Tool are some kind of prog messiahs or something, when even they themselves have admitted they have blatantly ripped off King Crimson in the past.

Although I wouldn't agree with you about Maudlin Of The Well, I think they're way overrated to be honest. They have tons of potential though.

Replace MOTW in your post with KC, and then you have win :)

KielbasaSausage said:
You have to understand Buddhist teachings in order to understand the music? :p

Not the music but the lyrics and meaning behind them. Someone said earlier the lyrics made no sense. They do you just have to know a little about what they are talking about.

You'd have to be a total cuntarse not to realise Carey's drumming ability. In fact, we should all be thankful of him as he is one of the very few drummers in mainstream music who is any good.

But everyone should go and download king crimson - one more red nightmare
the drumming in that song, by none other than the mighty Bill Bruford is simply awesome.