The problem with Tool

Tool is great, i like the band alot... jesus... i paid $30 for lateralus... :rolleyes:

The problem with them is that they have a REALLY terrible guitarist... and yet, if they had a different guitarist, they wouldn't be 'tool' anymore... so... catch 22.

This leads to nowhere, really. I like Opeth very much (and lots of metal bands too), but Tool... Tool is another matter. They´re just brilliant. Who cares about live shows? Pffff. I don´t judge a band by its live show. That´s stupid. It´s just fireworks. It´s an extra. If I had a band at this moment, I wouldn´t mind recording an album and masturbate all over it.

Tool haters deserve to die :) (this was a smilie)

P.S. Dogvomit, you´re brilliant too. You made me laugh hard. I shit on your stupid malformed metalhead.

Originally posted by Silent Downfall
i don't like tool. my friend gave me 3 of their cds to put on my comp and i just couldnt get into them. it's like listening to the same song over and over and over and over and over and over see it gets annoying doesn it? and his vocals.. bleh. and what i hate most is their repetitive drop-D powerchord riffs like other numetal band does. where is the creativity in this? they are no different from system of a down.

the only thing i like about tool is the intro to lateralis, before the powerchords come in.

overrated.
As has already been stated, the guitarist really does suck in terms of scales and chords and stuff. But if you think there is anything wrong with Tool other than that? well. They are creative and brilliant in every way EXCEPT the guitarist, who severly limits the rest. If you dont like the vocals then fine, but id like you to tell me whats actually bad about maynard?

People just dont understand Tool, thats the problem..

Originally posted by Lordenlil

"...why the f*** compare these bands?
...Tool is a great band, way different than most of the stuff I
personally listen to, but still very interesting
...."He screams for 27 seconds while growling with no effects"
Who cares??? That's low
...If u don't like 'em: OK. But your reasons suck!"

You see, generally when the phrase,"Is not comparable" is attached to the adjoining sentences, it means that the the two are not comparable, hence no comparison!...If you think tool is better than the stuff you listen to, then the stuff you listen to must be real crap...The reason I said that Lord Worm screams for 27 seconds is because everybody raves about maynard's freaking screams, when clearly somebody has already exceded hs talent.

Originally posted by Cryptophile
Originally posted by Lordenlil
You see, generally when the phrase,"Is not comparable" is attached to the adjoining sentences, it means that the the two are not comparable, hence no comparison!...If you think tool is better than the stuff you listen to, then the stuff you listen to must be real crap...The reason I said that Lord Worm screams for 27 seconds is because everybody raves about maynard's freaking screams, when clearly somebody has already exceded hs talent.
:lol: :lol: HAHAHAHA
this is a joke
So because someone is better than maynard that means tool are crap??

Saying how long maynard can scream for is to show his amazing vocal abilities, strength of his voice and such. You dont have to be the absolute best to be fucking good.

The funny thing about this thread is that for a band that is supposedly crap i havent really seen any substantial arguments against them. Except for that the guitarist is crap in terms of scales, techniques and chords/harmonies (but he does have talent with weird noises, and song structure, and effects and stuff). And that i acknowledge, he is shit and severly limits what the other members can do.

So someone give me some hard reasons why tool are "crap"......
The following DONT count:

1. Telling me someone who does something better. As stated already, you dont have to be the absolute best to be talented.

2. The fact that you find them boring or just dont get into the music, coz this is a subjective thing that says nothing of their talent. Many people do get into tool and find them interesting.

3. That you dont like their personalities. This includes how they act on stage, coz this is not part of whether a band is talented or not.

So come on, prove to me that you people arent just a bunch of idiots like 99% of the population who are selfcentred and have a huge ego and think that only the music you like is any good. And more to the point, prove to me that you arent just another idiot who bashes things just because they get some recognition.

:)

Originally posted by Cryptophile

1. You were still comparing them, weren't you? U just used the
negation of comparing in your sentence? Result is still the same. Semantics are still the same in this situation.

2. You should read the posts thoroughly before commenting.
I wrote: "Tool is a great band, way different than most of the
stuff I personally listen to, but still very interesting." Did I say
Tool is better than the stuff I usually listen to?? Don't think so.
But if u wanna call my usual stuff 'crap', go ahead. Because then
you're also saying Opeth and Cryptopsy are crap. Don't fucking
try to twist my words. :mad:

3. To measure the talent of a musician by the length of his
screams is pretty out there, no matter who does it. Perhaps I
should get an athelete with really big and strong lungs to do
some screaming. If he does that for more than 27 secs... well I
guess he'd have to be a goddamn great & cool musician, right? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Metal88
The reason TooL kicks so much ass is b/c of how unique they are. When a shitty band like say CREED comes along and has success, other bands start coming out just like them. This doesn't happen with Tool b/c it can't. Maynard's voice is too big a unique part of it to be replicated. YaGoGAk already mentioned the drumming, but equally important is the way the bass guitar sticks out. I'm surprised noone has mentioned this yet. Cryptopsy is an over-rated under-rated band. Hehehe. Trying to compare them to TooL is just stupid.

Ever heard Earshot?

I agree that this really leads to nowhere. You can't find anything that makes Tool crap as it's a matter of taste. Personally I think their music is okay, although I don't plan on buying any of their records. Although I think their concert at the Roskilde Festival was crap, this doesn't make them crap, just their concerts. We could discuss Type O Negative as well. Their riffs are easy, simple and doesn't take any splendid musician to learn them and the drums are super simple as well. Personally they're probably my favorite band and I think I've been listening to them since '94. As well as with Tool, people can say "Type O Negative is crap! I hate their music, it's 20 beats per minute and it's fucking boring!". That's just one persons opinon and mine is just that they've made some of the best records ever. I also think that their records will be some of the only metal I'll be listening to in 20 years, when I'm 40 (alongside Opeth, Guns N' Roses and maybe Iron Maiden).
All music is taste, but their is the term of quality, which is hard to define, but I think musical quality, is music you'll be listening to for a long time! I don't think anyone will be looking for Britney Spears records in 30 years. Today people are looking for Beatles records and have done so for the over 30 years now and will do so until music ends I predict.
It's all taste, so noone can give any arguments that Tool are crap, 'cause there is none as with all music.

Well.. I for one think we should respect eachother's taste in music.. I cannot respect efforts like most pop, of course.. but Tool obvious is a more profound and creative effort than pop, and thus, the only thing you can rate them on is how they sound to YOU...

have you ever listened to the drumming? the bass? the percussive guitar? and the vocals are outstanding... Maynards vocal melodies are enchanting... granted, he might not growl with the best of them (I believe that was a part of one of the bitch rants here).. but is that the ultimate goal? his clean lyrics are great...

if you just let go of all the premonitions and just listen, you'll be taken on a journey.. that's what they do for me atleast...

let's just wrap this up and say "I don't like 'em, but that's just me" or something...

Tool definately kicks the asses of 90% or something of the music out there? even if you don't like 'em... they SURELY can't be your biggest problem?!

"Tool is for fools"
"Tool sucks major ass"

The arguments against tool are just getting better arent they? Maybe next someone will point out the very informative point that "Tool are shit"... closely followed by another in depth discussion -> "Tool fucking suck". The huge intelligence of such posts is simply beyond my comprehension, to a lowly human like me these comments seem like pointless flames from a bunch of huge egos with no substance, but alas i must be mistaken.