The problem with Tool

This amazes me.

If you don't like the band, congratulations, you don't have to listen to it!

What is the point in that spontanious ranting? This is the same as Satori's "The real reason why dream theater sucks". Are you trying to SAVE the people who listen to the band that "sucks"? Get a life...

Well the type of person who doesn't like Tool isn't likely to be capable of saying anything intelligent. Their favourite Opeth song is probably "Demon of The Fall" and they are most likely fans of Cannibal Corpse.

Unless you are sarcastic, I think your generalization isn't very intelligent itself. Do you actually mean that every intelligent person likes Tool?

Originally posted by YaYoGakk

People just dont understand Tool, thats the problem..

True! I am more than willing to admit that I don´t understand Tool...I have Aenima and Lateralus and I do like them, but in all their difficulty they require really special state of mind to listen. And the listening won´t even help me. Shit. I´m gonna wait about 10 years before I´ll expect myself to completely get them.

aenima is awesome.
i love that cd.
lateralus for me was very dissapointing.
Personally i found that cd to be boring and overly long.
Aenima, was like songs that where perfectly crafted...restrained when they needed to be and dwelt at points when it was right.
lateralus was just like guys playing, playing until they felt tired/fell asleep.

The lyrical content on lateralus was not a patch on aenima. h, aenima, eulogy...amazing lyrics, i think amoung the best i have heard.

Undertow was ok. Had some good songs.

so yeah. i like tool. i like opeth alot better, still i do find tool to be a good band. overrated by some, perhaps, but it's all jsut opinion in the end. hey i can listen to the new metallica cd without wanting to shoot myself in the face so as if my opinion counts hehe.

Before I go on, I would like to say that comparing Tool and Opeth is an oranges and apples scenario. No, a better analogy would be tennis balls and cement mixers. There is no fucking similarity between the two, they shouldn't be put on the same scale, you should not compare them. Oranges, and apples, children. Don't. Compare. Them.

I mean, I like both, and I don't bother fucking my head with the question "which is better" cuz neither is. They are both incredible.

Tool rock for the following reasons

:: They are not fake. They have not sold out, they do not write 'radio hits', they do not have gimmicks, they do not do anything for any other reason than artistic value. Their live act is testament to this, as is every song on Lateralus.

:: They cannot be imitated. Re: "Earshot", the man is a POOR imitation of Maynard and the guitars, drums and bass sound nothing alike. No-one produces music like Tool's music, just like no-one produces music like Opeth's music. They are unique. No other band would ever have written Lateralus or Schism or Reflection or Aenema.

:: Their music has amazing emotional depth. Lyrically they have come a long way from Opiate but even that CD was amazing at doing what it set out to do - be angry and rebellious. Maynard's lyrics are incredible.

:: Their music is complex and multilayered. There is an awful lot of symbolism going on lyrically, and musically each instrument is at once distinct and a crucial part of the whole image. No player is redundant in Tool.

:: They are unconventional. Lateralus is a CD that one can not easily pigeonhole because it doesn't contain all the elemnts of a typical <insert genre here> CD, and it contains far too many elements from several different genres, and even some elements that are simply ORIGINAL.

And finally, no-one could ever pull of something in the style of Reflection. While I can think of some Tool songs that share stylistic elements with other genres of music and bands and such, Reflection is a truly unique piece of music with it's own style.

That, and the fact that the drummer can play circles round just about anyone, the fact that the guitarist's sound is completely un-mimickable, the vocalist has an INCREDIBLE voice and the bassist plays some of the most unusual riffs out there...

Shit, well it leads me to only one conclusion, they fucking rock.

Anyone who criticises Tool can get fucked. It's like saying Michaelangelo was not a good artist. What is getting in the way of your enjoyment of Tool is your own set of preconceptions about music. Approach it from an honest angle without any of your pretentious bullshit about what 'metal' and 'music' should be, and you will have your mind FUCKED.

I think the idea that if you don't like Tool, you just don't understand them is weak and insipid. I don't like Tool because they are tame, boring, and slightly generic for their style. Aenima was ok, but half the album was filler. Lateralus was my pick for worst album of the year it came out, it was beyond boring. The songs went nowhere, there was practically no deviation between songs, and it was way too long. Compare it to say, Maudlin of the Well's releases from 2001, Bath and Leaving Your Body Map, and it's almost absurdly dull in comparison.

Also, Dredg rereleased their '98 release in 2001, Leitmotif. It is FAR better than anything Tool has ever done in a very similar style. The drumming is better, the singing is better, and the song structures and guitars are INFINITELY better. It's also less than 40 minutes long, so it doesn't have time to get boring. Overall, it's 10 tracks, but mostly 5 songs. Their 2002 release, El Cielo, is also similar at times to Tool but absolutely infinitely superior. Better lyrics, better themes, better songwriting, better drumming, better guitars, better electronics, better album flow, etc...

Tool are almost absurdly overrated. They are beyond horrible live, their stage show featured a period that was over an hour long of a repeated noise while naked people hung from ropes. Color me unimpressed. Their music is dull and uninteresting for the most part, but they shine at others when you don't pay attention to their lyrics.
For intelligent progressive music, I would much rather listen to Maudlin of the Well, Ephel Duath, Dredg, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, The Mars Volta, and many other newer prog bands that just absolutely shit on everything Tool has ever done. Listen to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, with their one string bass, homemade instruments, and bizarre songstructures and vocals... it will make you realize that Tool are just watered-down prog, tailored for the masses. Just like all throughout rock history, mainstream bands stand on the advances that lesser known bands achieved simply because of marketing and peer pressure. There are a few exceptions, such as Radiohead's monumental OK Computer and The Afghan Whig's godlike Black Love... but for the most part, even the best mainstream bands such as Radiohead pilfer the underground (Kid A for example, Ok Computer was something of a fluke).

Iblys said:
Anyone who criticises Tool can get fucked. It's like saying Michaelangelo was not a good artist.
You are over-rating tool to the point of no belief. :Smug:

Ed said:
Well the type of person who doesn't like Tool isn't likely to be capable of saying anything intelligent. Their favourite Opeth song is probably "Demon of The Fall" and they are most likely fans of Cannibal Corpse.
So 53 year old jazz musicians and classical composers are stupid if they dont like Tool? Stupid generalization.

Cryptophile said:
Tool and Opeth are not comparable...Tool sucks and Opeth does not..."Hooker with a Penis." What the hell is this junk? Do not tell me that there is some hidden message here and that you have to be some kind of genius to come up with that name or to "hear the message"...It is just pathetic. Also from the song, "Jerk Off" (as if that's an intelligent name) how artistic and intelligent are the lyrics,"I should kick you, beat you, f*ck you, and then shoot you in your f*cking head." If you must sing about killing some one, at least word it intelligently, with some style! And listen to this, this is a quote from a tool website! "All references to "shoot you in your f*ck*ng head" are now performed live as "f*ck you in your f*ck*ng ass" -- a more appropriate message for the times." WTF! As for people who think that the singer from tool screams longer than "anyone ever", listen to "Open Face Surgery" sung by Lord Worm, the former singer of Cryptopsy on the album Blasphemy Made Flesh...He screams for 27 seconds while growling with no effects. "Open Face Surgery" at least Cryptopsy says,"I'm gonna break your face" with style.

Maynard's scream on The Grudge is 31 seconds. Maynard beats Lord Worm.

Bwahahahaha... this thread sucks. Such ignorance.

Tool are easily one of the most creative and unique bands on the planet. To say they are not progressive or talented is downright laughable. There is nothing "ho hum" or ordinary about Tool. And how the fuck can anyone find their lyrics bad?

Umm hello?

• Black then white are all i see in my infancy.
    red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
    lets me see.
    as below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    drawn beyond the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
    Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
    Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Black then white are all i see in my infancy.
    red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
    lets me see there is so much more and
    beckons me to look thru to these infinite possibilities.
    as below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    drawn outside the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
    Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind.
    Feed my will to feel this moment urging me to cross the line.
    Reaching out to embrace the random.
    Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

I embrace my desire to
    I embrace my desire to
    feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow
    to feel inspired to fathom the power, to witness the beauty,
    to bathe in the fountain,
    to swing on the spiral
    to swing on the spiral
    to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.

With my feet upon the ground I move myeslf between the sounds and open wide to suck it in.
    I feel it move across my skin.
    I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
    what ever will bewilder me.
    And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
    We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
    Spiral out. Keep going.
    Spiral out. Keep going.
    Spiral out. Keep going.
    Spiral out. Keep going.
    Spiral out. Keep going.
  • Yeah, those really come from a 13 year old's diary...:Smug:

Y'know, I really like Tool alot, but some Tool fans FUCK me off heaps. I'm talking about the hardcore insane fanatic Tool fans, they are MUCH MUCH more annoying then hardcore Opeth fans, or Dark Tranquillity fans or other bands fans.

They just go on and on and on about how smart and creative Tool is, and how they are the BEST band in the world and no other band compares, and they have the best artistry and blah blah blah. Its bullshit as well, when it comes to artistry Maudlin of the Well > Tool BY FUCKING MILES.

I love Tool and will continue to do so...they're music is great, amazing drummer, and yes, smart lyrics and fascinating artistry. HOWEVER, some Tool fans are fucking disgraceful in the way they phase out all other music and all other opinions because they assume that since Tool is so arty they are the be all and end all of music. If you don't think there are people like that out there...TWO OF MY FRIENDS ARE LIVING PROOF. There is no band in the world worth listening to except Tool, to these fools, and anything even remotely negative about Tool is to be retorted with: 'You've missed the point, and you don't understand Tool, they are too deep for you'. Arrogant bastards.

Tool is great...but they are NOT some sort of freakin musical messiah.

I just have to say that Tool is the most boring band I know about. And no, Tool is not a progressive band, nor very creative. And who the fuck cares about lyrics. It's the music I care about. If I want to read, I read a book.