Opeth and Tool

Demilich

Remember
Apr 24, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I love both of these bands, Tool used to be my favourite until I read somewhere that Opeth was a bit similar to them. So I bought Blackwater Park and since then every other Opeth album. They're my favourite band, and I was just thinking a bunch of things about these two bands.
I know Mikael's commented on it before, but wouldn't it be great to see them play a show together? Not likely to happen, but if Opeth gets bigger, who knows? Tool gets a ton of mainstream attention despite being quite unique, dark and insane. Their lyrics are just.. out of this world. I don't see how anyone can liken them to nu-metal bands just because they are all contemporaries. And what's the deal with Tool taking so long between albums? I mean.. from Undertow to Aenima was 3 years, and 4 from Aenima to Lateralus.. now it's been 4 again has it not? I'm getting impatient.

Anyways, to sum up... two great bands, both thriving on dynamics, long songs, and creating amazing atmospheres. Both are unrivalled in what they do, though quite different and in some ways incomparable. What do you guys find similar/different about these two unique and creative powerhouses?

I must say that i don't understand the so-called greatness of Tool. I've tried listening to it, and i tried to like it, but i just didn't. i honestly thought it was boring.

There is no way that Opeth could be compared to Tool, because Opeth = Godhood!

IAmEternal said:
I love both of these bands, Tool used to be my favourite until I read somewhere that Opeth was a bit similar to them. So I bought Blackwater Park and since then every other Opeth album. They're my favourite band, and I was just thinking a bunch of things about these two bands.
I know Mikael's commented on it before, but wouldn't it be great to see them play a show together? Not likely to happen, but if Opeth gets bigger, who knows? Tool gets a ton of mainstream attention despite being quite unique, dark and insane. Their lyrics are just.. out of this world. I don't see how anyone can liken them to nu-metal bands just because they are all contemporaries. And what's the deal with Tool taking so long between albums? I mean.. from Undertow to Aenima was 3 years, and 4 from Aenima to Lateralus.. now it's been 4 again has it not? I'm getting impatient.

Anyways, to sum up... two great bands, both thriving on dynamics, long songs, and creating amazing atmospheres. Both are unrivalled in what they do, though quite different and in some ways incomparable. What do you guys find similar/different about these two unique and creative powerhouses?
I agree, Tool were the epitome of musical expression for me before I discovered Opeth and other bands I listen to now.

Tool kick-started a whole new level of music appreciation for me :)

I'm sure Tool are a great band, but frankly speaking, there are only 3 of their songs which I really like:
"Schism"
"Aenima"
and "No Quarter" cover, this is really emotional
They cannot be compared to Opeth.

I love those bands and I think there's a lot of similarities between them. Some vocal lines on Damnation sound quite Tool-ish, In My Time of Need being a good example.

I have seen Tool live and I'm going to see Opeth next week (can't wait!), and I agree it would be very interesting to see those two bands live on the same stage.

A lot....and I mean a LOT....of people don't get Tool because of all the subtleties in their music, if you don't take the time to actually sit down and pay attention to all 70+ minutes of lateralus then it will never compare to Opeth. Same thing with say, Emperor's Prometheus, it takes like 5 listens to really start to "get" it.

46x2 is a perfect example, if you just give a casual listen then it sounds like the same damn riff through the whole thing. Except they've really taken that riff, turned it inside out and backwards and sideways so carefully that you don't even notice, until you realize it's completely different. Not to mention the lyrics, mind trip anyone?

I wasn't really a fan until I heard lateralus, that album just did it for me. And, not like it really matters, but i've seen it pop up on a couple of opeth's playlists as well as steve wilson. Just to take that "are they really that good?" question out of the equation and leave it up to opinion.

Schism said:
I agree, Tool were the epitome of musical expression for me before I discovered Opeth and other bands I listen to now.

Tool kick-started a whole new level of music appreciation for me :)

You need to get out of your basement if you think Tool is the epitome of musical expression.

Opeth=awesome
tool= simple and drawn out.

As long as Opeth headlines, I'd be all for a Tool/Opeth tour. Has to be in the states though.

the_drip said:
tool= simple and drawn out.
Even if you don't like Tool, labelling them simple and drawn out makes me wonder if you've ever actually listened to them. Listen to the lyrics, listen to the subtelties of the music, and tell me that's simple. Adam Jones may be far from a great technical guitarist, and a lot of the songs sometimes sound very similar, but he's an expert at creating a deep atmosphere for a song. Call Danny Carrey's drumming simple and you might find you've made a fool of yourself to the entire board, or at least the ones who know anything about music.

IAmEternal said:
Even if you don't like Tool, labelling them simple and drawn out makes me wonder if you've ever actually listened to them. Listen to the lyrics, listen to the subtelties of the music, and tell me that's simple. Adam Jones may be far from a great technical guitarist, and a lot of the songs sometimes sound very similar, but he's an expert at creating a deep atmosphere for a song. Call Danny Carrey's drumming simple and you might find you've made a fool of yourself to the entire board, or at least the ones who know anything about music.
Even though I'm sure I'll get ragged on for this, Danny Carrey is a better drummer than Martin. I am a huge fan of both bands, and have seen both of them live. A tour with these 2 together would be amazing...it would certainly make more sense than Tool and Meshuggah!

Certainly Danny Carey is better than Martin and if you get flamed for that, that's ridiculous.

IAmEternal said:

nope I have alot of friends that think the same way you do, and they expose me to Tool on a regular basis. Its just my opinion, and it is not made out of any ignorance. I've heard the majority of their material, there's not one song that I'm partial to in the slightest. I also don't care for there music videos.

It's sad that many people are missing on Tool's beautiful work due to them not being accessible. That's the way I felt when I bought Lateralus. I had to listen to it around 10 times to "get it", like someone else said. The rewards were continous orgasms. Seriously.

Their lyrics are superb; Opeth cannot even compare. Thought provoking, intelligent and beautiful. I agree with the person that stated Adam Jones isn't technically the greatest, but he is very very emotional. Some of his riffs are chilling. Danny Carey blows anyone away including Portnoy. Maynard? Best vocalist in my opinion. I know, this sounds like a fanboy-ish first post, but it's deserved.