Which is the first Opeth disc you should get if...

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
... someone whose deeply into prog rock music? Imagine someone religiously listens to prog rock, especially bands from the 70's, and he asks you for a good Opeth recommendation.

Which album would you suggest? I guess everyone's going to say Damnation. Other than Damnation, what could be a good starting point?

batmura said:
... someone whose deeply into prog rock music? Imagine someone religiously listens to prog rock, especially bands from the 70's, and he asks you for a good Opeth recommendation.

Which album would you suggest? I guess everyone's going to say Damnation. Other than Damnation, what could be a good starting point?

Besides Damnation like you said, I would say Orchid or Morningrise, but the influences are in every record to some extent anyway.

Out.:devil:

Blackwater Park. It's the proggiest album that's not Damnation. Morningrise might not be a bad choice either, assuming they are fairly open to the death metal thing and you play BRI or TBYF for them.

Profanity said:
Damnation is mellow and acoustic sounding, for a prog fan they'd obviousaly want something which progresses and takes the genre to new limits. I'd say Blackwater Park is the album for that.

I don't agree. Most people can't just jump head first into enjoying extreme music. Damnation is the album closest to what he already enjoys listening to, and thus would be a sort of gateway to the rest of Opeth's catalogue.