Opeth Owns Everything!

hi
i can certainly see where you're coming from...
perhaps the metal genres will not be where you find what you need, so i will second the idea of looking into prog rock and jazz, but also classical music, as i've always considered beethoven to be quite "metal" :)
i've been listening to lots of Yes lately.
fucking great.
but yes, opeth is the greatest band ever. ;-)

Lost_Orchid said:
For Starters double posting is annoying but quadruple posting is just ridiculous. It is possible to quote multiple things in one post...next time please do that.

Anyway, what you said there is completely subjective. I personally enjoy Morbid Angel just as much as I do Opeth. Morbid Angel is not "dynamic" because the way in which you use that word seems to refer to the progressive elements of Opeth's music. Simply enough that is not what Morbid Angel does. Different bands make different types of music and to simply say the band is crap because they are not doing something that you like, which is not their thing, is a tad ludicrous. Just don't listen to it if it is not what you like. But it is not comparative to Opeth if you are looking for something similar to Opeth...which is kind of what you did there. Anyway, it all comes down to a person's own opinion. I'm not sure any of that made sense but I tryed. :Spin:

I disagree.... Going by that logic, if someone throws up/farts and records it, sells it and someone buys it and then thinks its an amazing record, then subjectively I have no right to bad mouth it because I am not a fan of this "throw up/farting" genre, which is something I don't normally listen to. You say I can't say it sucks because it doesn't suit my style. If I think something sucks man, I have a right to say so.

there ae/were lots of metal bands at least as good as Opeth and some of them even better:

Primordial, Orphaned Land, Katatonia, In The Woods, Nevermore, Morgion, Candlemass, Dornenreich, Agalloch, Madder Mortem, Root, Solefald, Hollenthon, Alchemist, Ancient Rites, Emperor, Anathema, Iron Maiden...

dishcloth is right... the sex pistols fuckin blow no matter what way you look at it...

Musicians that are arguably better than Opeth include

Miles Davis
Carlos Santana
Herbie Hancock
Al Di Meola
John Coltrane
Return to Forever

T-Rat,

i've been listening to lots of Yes lately.
fucking great.
Agreed. Have you checked out Yes Symphony Live? It's a brilliant DVD, one of the best I've seen. The band really created an inspired product here. It's reawakened my love of Yes.

Hypnos said:
there ae/were lots of metal bands at least as good as Opeth and some of them even better:

Primordial, Orphaned Land, Katatonia, In The Woods, Nevermore, Morgion, Candlemass, Dornenreich, Agalloch, Madder Mortem, Root, Solefald, Hollenthon, Alchemist, Ancient Rites, Emperor, Anathema, Iron Maiden...

I'm sorry, but none of those bands are better than Opeth. They don't even come CLOSE to Opeth's greatness and glory!
:yow: :yow: :yow: o_O o_O o_O

Sadpoet said:
I'm sorry, but none of those bands are better than Opeth. They don't even come CLOSE to Opeth's greatness and glory!
:yow: :yow: :yow: o_O o_O o_O

:lol: that's your humble opinion, which is completely irrelevant for me.

Primordial, Orphaned Land, Katatonia and In The Woods are in my eyes surely better than Opeth. the other ones are on par...

Sample playlist for "complicated" music:

Meshuggah - Catch 33
Naked City - Radio
Mahler - Symphonies 5, 6, & 7
Berg - Lyric Suite
Coltrane - Sun Ship, Giant Steps
Don Caballero - What Burns Never Returns
The Bad Plus - Give
Goblin - Profondo Rosso Soundtrack
Keith Emerson - Inferno Soundtrack
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
Return to Forever - Light as a Feather
Jean-Luc Ponty/Al Di Meola/Stanley Clarke - Rite of Strings
Ornette Coleman/Pat Metheny - Song X

coltrane73 said:
Sample playlist for "complicated" music:

Meshuggah - Catch 33
Naked City - Radio
Mahler - Symphonies 5, 6, & 7
Berg - Lyric Suite
Coltrane - Sun Ship, Giant Steps
Don Caballero - What Burns Never Returns
The Bad Plus - Give
Goblin - Profondo Rosso Soundtrack
Keith Emerson - Inferno Soundtrack
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
Return to Forever - Light as a Feather
Jean-Luc Ponty/Al Di Meola/Stanley Clarke - Rite of Strings
Ornett Coleman/Pat Metheny - Song X

gorguts - obscura
burzum - hvis lyset tar oss

Opeth are a phenomenal band, and I dont think you will find many in any genre that can compete as a total entity. There are many good , or even excellent "bands" out there, but when one strikes you both intellectually, and most importantly emotionally, is such as way as Opeth does, its certainly cuts down your CD collection :).

I know this will sound lame considering their close connections, but Porcupine Tree is wonderful music, I enjoy it as much, possibly more, than Opeth.

Everyone is at different stages of listening, so I wont make some bold statement like "metal is dead", but Im certainly tired of the format as a whole.

BTW, Nevermore was entirely disappointing live.

just sampled some goreguts. pretty cool stuff, polarity3!

now that i think of it, the latest Cannibal Corpse is pretty interesting.

Some other complex music that sounds great, too:

Miles Davis: Bitches Brew
Genesis: Foxtrot
Bela Bartok: String Quartets