Opeth Owns Everything!

coltrane73 said:
...i'm really digging eclectic musical taste range in this forum!

Yeah well we are Opeth fans, and Opeth fans are soo open minded and have extremely electic musical taste :puke:

Silent Song said:
well, i do.

Its just at times it seems as if everyone is trying to 'out electic' each other...If you know what I mean....hmmm...lol....oh well....

dishcloth said:
I disagree.... Going by that logic, if someone throws up/farts and records it, sells it and someone buys it and then thinks its an amazing record, then subjectively I have no right to bad mouth it because I am not a fan of this "throw up/farting" genre, which is something I don't normally listen to. You say I can't say it sucks because it doesn't suit my style. If I think something sucks man, I have a right to say so.

Good for you, say what you want. That is a completely different story. At that point you are dealing with whether or not something can even be considered music. I am saying that within music you can say something sucks. But to compare it to another band who does something different is a stretch. You cannot do a comparison of things that are completely different because it isn't fair to either of the involved groups. He was saying Morbid Angel sucks simply because they do not have "dynamics" like Opeth. Then go listen to bands with dynamics but to compare the two to each other is an unfair comparison. Simply enough saying something sucks and making a comparison are different. You can say something sucks but to compare with something completely different doesn't really make sense. This is just how I view things though. You can think whatever you want in the end. :cool:

^maybe, FUBAR...

I'm just trying to clue folks into music that makes me happy. I've always been thankful to the random guy who recommended Opeth to me. I wasn't really in a situation to easily discover them, being a teacher and all. Since then, I've recommended them to my students. Nothing wrong with genuine suggestions, I think.

It's when we start saying "My eclecticism is bigger than your eclecticism," that we get into trouble, if you know what I mean.

Benighted Joe said:
I do not agree. I've tried to find another group that can be compared to Opeth. I'm actually listening to Morbid Angel now, but I can't see whats the excitement is about. It's just like a normal death metal band... short songs bad singing voice (compared) and hard-hard-hard all the time! I want dynamics!

It doesn't sound like Joe is saying Morbid Angel sucks because they don't have the dynamics of Opeth. Just that he's grown to like the changing dynmaics of Opeth so much that a heavy-all-the-time approach is not as exciting. And he says the singing is bad comparatively. Not intrinsically bad.

I happen to agree. But I've long been a fan of music with wide dynamics, mostly stemming from my interest in "classical" music.

Lost_Orchid said:
It is possible to quote multiple things in one post...next time please do that.

I will try and figure out how to make multiple quotes. Lets see if I succeeded here.

Lost_Orchid said:
Anyway, what you said there is completely subjective. I personally enjoy Morbid Angel just as much as I do Opeth --
-- Different bands make different types of music and to simply say the band is crap because they are not doing something that you like, which is not their thing, is a tad ludicrous. Just don't listen to it if it is not what you like. Anyway, it all comes down to a person's own opinion...

I didn't say that no one liked Morbid Angel, I'm sure you like em, and I certainly didn't say that it was crap! I only said that I couldn't see what the fuzz was all about (Åkerfeldt has mentioned that he thinks they are the best and so on)... And what I ment by that is that of all heavy metal bands I've heard I think they are pretty much the same. But I know they aren't! :Spin:

Lost_Orchid said:
But it is not comparative to Opeth if you are looking for something similar to Opeth...which is kind of what you did there.

Exactly! I thought they where comparable. (Hm, is that even a word? :) )

And don't worry I'm not going to pain myself by listening to what I don't like! :)

I get what you are saying. Just some of the ways in which it was worded the first time around had some things that didn't really make sense.

By the way, nice job with the multiple quotes in one post. ;) :D .

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
benighted joe: maybe you should not only look into metal

You misunderstood what I ment.

I simply - mmm well maybe hardly - tried to say that of all music I listen to and hear I think that Opeth generally is better.

Even if I hear the extremely good band [insert name of good guitar band] I often think that Opeth's calmer parts are better than their songs! I mean they are only doing the mellow stuff and still I like Opeth's mellow parts better but they aren't even doing it all the time!
Do you understand ? :)

I mostly listen to other music than Metal and Death Metal. Another good swedish group who happens to be a Heavy Metal band is In Flames. But they haven't got the same professionalism.

Lost_Orchid said:
You cannot do a comparison of things that are completely different because it isn't fair to either of the involved groups. He was saying Morbid Angel sucks simply because they do not have "dynamics" like Opeth. Then go listen to bands with dynamics but to compare the two to each other is an unfair comparison.

People always will compare totally different music to another, whether it is fair or not. Ever argued with a rap fan? Why do people say things suck? Because they compare it to their own favourite genres/bands and realize it's not their thing. I do realize some people appreciate bands/artists from every genre, so that's a little different, but generally people have to make these unfair comparisions to decide what they like. A "punk/emo" rock fan will always compare the Used, Story of the Year etc, to anything else they listen to, thus limiting what they actually like because it isn't a replica of these bands. I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, because I don't believe it is, but I am saying is that the great preportion of people will always make these unfair inter-genre comparisions within music. I think it is unfortunate that people limit themselves within their own genres because bands such as Opeth doesn't get the attention they deserve. I tried the other week to get my friend into them and he being a "punk/emo" fan said they were "boring/unemotion" and couldn't stand the growls. This was because he was comparing Opeth to his favourite bands, Finch and Atreyu etc. Anyway man no hard feelings, it's just my view. :headbang:

Conservatory Resonance said:
Out of everything i've ever listened too.
Ive only ever been consistently taken to "that" level of musical appreciation in any genre by OPETH AND PAIN OF SALVATION.

Same. I suggested PoS earlier, but no one commented. It takes a few listens though (as any good music).
Actually, I'm listening to PoS right now.

dishcloth said:
People always will compare totally different music to another, whether it is fair or not. Ever argued with a rap fan? Why do people say things suck? Because they compare it to their own favourite genres/bands and realize it's not their thing. I do realize some people appreciate bands/artists from every genre, so that's a little different, but generally people have to make these unfair comparisions to decide what they like. A "punk/emo" rock fan will always compare the Used, Story of the Year etc, to anything else they listen to, thus limiting what they actually like because it isn't a replica of these bands. I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, because I don't believe it is, but I am saying is that the great preportion of people will always make these unfair inter-genre comparisions within music. I think it is unfortunate that people limit themselves within their own genres because bands such as Opeth doesn't get the attention they deserve. I tried the other week to get my friend into them and he being a "punk/emo" fan said they were "boring/unemotion" and couldn't stand the growls. This was because he was comparing Opeth to his favourite bands, Finch and Atreyu etc. Anyway man no hard feelings, it's just my view. :headbang:

I understand what you are saying. It just gets on my nerves when people blatantly make those comparisons. Either way though, as you said, it happens and there is nothing one person can do about it. So I guess I'll just ignore it from now on :p . :headbang:

Lost_Orchid said:
I understand what you are saying. It just gets on my nerves when people blatantly make those comparisons. Either way though, as you said, it happens and there is nothing one person can do about it. So I guess I'll just ignore it from now on :p . :headbang:

I know you weren't speaking with me but I just want to add that comparing Morbid Angel (Death Metal) with Opeth (Progressive Death Metal) wasn't that dumb of an idea, I think. And furthermore, was I really comparing? I was merely saying that I couldn't see what Mike liked about them directly. :)

Sorry if I seem repetitive :) I'll leave you guys alone now :)

Benighted Joe said:
I know you weren't speaking with me but I just want to add that comparing Morbid Angel (Death Metal) with Opeth (Progressive Death Metal) wasn't that dumb of an idea, I think. And furthermore, was I really comparing? I was merely saying that I couldn't see what Mike liked about them directly. :)

Sorry if I seem repetitive :) I'll leave you guys alone now :)

I'm not going to respond to the part about comparing Opeth and Morbid Angel because it would be the same argument and I think it is better just left alone at this point. Lets just agree to disagree. And in any case we can all agree that Opeth are fucking amazing. :headbang:

coltrane73 said:
Benighted Joe...

the thing is, once you've experienced the joy of progressive music, it's difficult to go back to listening to "simple" music (especially if you consider yourself to be a musician of some sort)...unless you get something out of it emotionally. i like the SHINS and the STROKES...very simple music, but it hooks me to a degree.

...of course, if you want to stay in the metal realm - Meshuggah is pretty complex stuff.

That is exactly how I feel. I havn't listened to the radio in ages because bands like "The Killers" make me want to throw up. They're so simplistic (not that being simplistic is always bad) but it just does nothing for me. And then add in their shitty (I don't know how else to describe it) lyrics and you get this meaningless noise that they call music.

Opeth is so interesting to me because everytime I listen to a song, I can find something new about it. They somehow manage to have so many layers and accents without it sounding like cluttered noise, its beautiful! Everything seems to flow so well together from their hard, evil sounding parts to a smoothe, evil with a tinge of even an ethereal sound section. I've never heard anything like them or had any music have the same effect on me.

Of course there are other bands with a select few songs that some rather close to this. But no other band has every song of theirs make my legs shake.

annt said:
Same. I suggested PoS earlier, but no one commented. It takes a few listens though (as any good music).
Actually, I'm listening to PoS right now.

Yeh im so dissapointed that it seems no one has given Pain of Salvation a fair chance, some aspects of their far music supercede anything i've heard.

For example Daniel's ability to express himself lyrically through metaphors and concepts.