Opeth Owns Everything!

Benighted Joe

Opethian
Oct 21, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
www.myspace.com
First of all, yes, I hate that insipid word "owns" but it really fitted my caption :)

Anyhow, I wanted to discuss music in this thread. I've realized that after
I first heard Opeth - which was quite long ago - I've been comparing it with
everything else in music ever since (despite genre or artist).

It's not like I can't listen to easy music anymore but if something sounds
good I immedately compare it with Opeth. So now, how's that possible, you
think... Opeth is a death metal band and can't be compared with all other
genres! You're wrong. Ofcuze one can't put on the Deliverance album
a Monday morning in the office. I would like to, but that's just not going to
happen. It's to heavy and complex for the common Mr. Even Steven. But
when those acoustic and mellow parts come, or when you put on the
Damnation album (or any other calm song), I just think that Opeth kick
almost all other singer/songwriters and rockbands asses! I know people who
doesn't really listen to Opeth that agrees that the mellow parts and the
vocals(!) by Opeth really whips some serious butt. :Spin:

I still enjoy and listen to rock bands like Powderfinger, Live, The Wallflowers,
The (Swedish) Hellacopters and metal like In Flames and Fear Factory
and also older prog-rock like Yes, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Genesis but
damn. The new rock are just turning more and more commercial after each
album! The older stuff are still fucking great but Opeth is more brilliant and
even more dynamic than say Deep Purple's early work.

I guess it's because Mike's so frikkin musical and such a great vocalist and
guitarist that he rule all other. I mean how's it possible to make this many
good - and long - amazing songs? I know! It's the variation and complexity.
In conclusion: Mike is a genius and Opeth simply owns everything! :worship:

What're your opinions? Does anyone else know what the hell I'm talking about? :)

mh...i think you are right when you are say that there aren't many rockbands that can compete with opeth. but there sure are...remember that there's thousands of bands out there that you've never heard of...

and it seems to be a common law that this music is not going to be very popular so oyu have to search for it hard to find some...

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
yes...but there are many bands that can compete with opeth if you only find them.

I do not agree. I've tried to find another group that can be compared to Opeth. I'm actually listening to Morbid Angel now, but I can't see whats the excitement is about. It's just like a normal death metal band... short songs bad singing voice (compared) and hard-hard-hard all the time! I want dynamics!

Benighted Joe said:
I do not agree. I've tried to find another group that can be compared to Opeth. I'm actually listening to Morbid Angel now, but I can't see whats the excitement is about. It's just like a normal death metal band... short songs bad singing voice (compared) and hard-hard-hard all the time! I want dynamics!

Spoken like a tr00 fanboi... kinda.

Until I heard Opeth for the first time in 2001, Led Zeppelin was my favorite band since 1969. I considered LZ great for many reasons. I always felt they were ahead of their time, and I thought their music was varied, complicated, and way more interesting then music of that time. (Personally I was never a Black Sabbath fan). I also felt they were unique.

I have always searched for music. There have literally been thousands of bands I've heard over the years. There are tons of individual songs I may thoroughly enjoy, but in the overall band sense, I never felt any other band was as complete as Led Zeppelin. I have heard so many bands (of course there are many I've never run across), and of the ones I know, only a few have challenged LZ as great bands. Metallica, Slayer, Exodus, Aerosmith and more all made runs but never succeeded to my ears to.

Then came Opeth. They easily supplanted Led Zeppelin as my favorite. Their music doesn't fit into a genre, nor does it sound like anybody else - as unique as Led Zeppelin was. Opeth opened the door for me to discover other music, but nothing has come close to them. I also love Grip Inc and The Tea Party, but for more "I love their sound" reasons and not I consider them above everybody else. I don't care if it sounds fanboyish - I just consider Opeth that much better than all other bands, because they have changed yet stayed consistent and have produced 8 albums worthy of discussion.

Benighted Joe...

i predict that (like me) you will slowly but surely find your way into the jazz genre. opeth constantly allude to their "progressive rock" roots (YES, ELP, King Crimson, etc.) but go back a little further and check out what Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Stanly Clarke, and Miles Davis were doing in the late 60s.

Peter is big into Nick Drake, who is probably the furthest thing away from metal but possibly one of the best singer/songwriters that ever lived. Mendez and Lopez both cite jazz players as their influences.

the thing is, once you've experienced the joy of progressive music, it's difficult to go back to listening to "simple" music (especially if you consider yourself to be a musician of some sort)...unless you get something out of it emotionally. i like the SHINS and the STROKES...very simple music, but it hooks me to a degree.

...of course, if you want to stay in the metal realm - Meshuggah is pretty complex stuff.

Benighted Joe said:
First of all, yes, I hate that insipid word "owns" but it really fitted my caption :)

Anyhow, I wanted to discuss music in this thread. I've realized that after
I first heard Opeth - which was quite long ago - I've been comparing it with
everything else in music ever since (despite genre or artist).

It's not like I can't listen to easy music anymore but if something sounds
good I immedately compare it with Opeth. So now, how's that possible, you
think... Opeth is a death metal band and can't be compared with all other
genres! You're wrong. Ofcuze one can't put on the Deliverance album
a Monday morning in the office. I would like to, but that's just not going to
happen. It's to heavy and complex for the common Mr. Even Steven. But
when those acoustic and mellow parts come, or when you put on the
Damnation album (or any other calm song), I just think that Opeth kick
almost all other singer/songwriters and rockbands asses! I know people who
doesn't really listen to Opeth that agrees that the mellow parts and the
vocals(!) by Opeth really whips some serious butt. :Spin:

I still enjoy and listen to rock bands like Powderfinger, Live, The Wallflowers,
The (Swedish) Hellacopters and metal like In Flames and Fear Factory
and also older prog-rock like Yes, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Genesis but
damn. The new rock are just turning more and more commercial after each
album! The older stuff are still fucking great but Opeth is more brilliant and
even more dynamic than say Deep Purple's early work.

I guess it's because Mike's so frikkin musical and such a great vocalist and
guitarist that he rule all other. I mean how's it possible to make this many
good - and long - amazing songs? I know! It's the variation and complexity.
In conclusion: Mike is a genius and Opeth simply owns everything! :worship:

What're your opinions? Does anyone else know what the hell I'm talking about? :)
Oh! What a fanboy you are. :p

coltrane73 said:
Benighted Joe...

i predict that (like me) you will slowly but surely find your way into the jazz genre. opeth constantly allude to their "progressive rock" roots (YES, ELP, King Crimson, etc.) but go back a little further and check out what Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Stanly Clarke, and Miles Davis were doing in the late 60s.

Peter is big into Nick Drake, who is probably the furthest thing away from metal but possibly one of the best singer/songwriters that ever lived. Mendez and Lopez both cite jazz players as their influences.

the thing is, once you've experienced the joy of progressive music, it's difficult to go back to listening to "simple" music (especially if you consider yourself to be a musician of some sort)...unless you get something out of it emotionally. i like the SHINS and the STROKES...very simple music, but it hooks me to a degree.

...of course, if you want to stay in the metal realm - Meshuggah is pretty complex stuff.

Very much agreed - in fact the jazz influence is blatantly obvious in Lopez's drumming.

I was impressed to see the greatest drummer of all time - Vinnie Colaiuta - played on the last Megadeth album.

coltrane73 said:
Benighted Joe...

1. i predict that (like me) you will slowly but surely find your way into the jazz genre.

2. Peter is big into Nick Drake...

1. Yeah maybe you're right. I'm gonna try on some jazz :) I mean I like jazz rock like Hendrix but that's pretty much it.

2. Nick Drake kickass! Love his work... And he took his life. That's a shame -really! Why not try to make more records and don't give up so easily on fans to come around :/ No, but he obviously had more problems!

Meshuggah, yeah? I'm gonna listen to it! thanx

Thanx for the response! :)

Benighted Joe said:

For Starters double posting is annoying but quadruple posting is just ridiculous. It is possible to quote multiple things in one post...next time please do that.

Anyway, what you said there is completely subjective. I personally enjoy Morbid Angel just as much as I do Opeth. Morbid Angel is not "dynamic" because the way in which you use that word seems to refer to the progressive elements of Opeth's music. Simply enough that is not what Morbid Angel does. Different bands make different types of music and to simply say the band is crap because they are not doing something that you like, which is not their thing, is a tad ludicrous. Just don't listen to it if it is not what you like. But it is not comparative to Opeth if you are looking for something similar to Opeth...which is kind of what you did there. Anyway, it all comes down to a person's own opinion. I'm not sure any of that made sense but I tryed. :Spin:

Benighted Joe said:

morbid angel's first two albums stomp all over opeth composition-wise, and saying they're a "normal" death metal band is hardly a criticism. for one, they were extremely innovative and the time, and secondly, "different" does not equal "good"