Damnation review - Spoilers. Don't click if you wanna wait.

Static:

You're not sympathizing with the subject matter's mood, which seems stuck in some kind depressive languor. Listen to Mikael as he sings "I miss you". It's listless, it's sad, yet for all of its sadness, the song is probably one of the most colorful Opeth have ever produced, this, for one, due to the eery instrumentation. It's a remarkable song, especially when you consider the riff here riff there nature of the majority of Opeth's music.

@Sengir: weakness does not appear on the official track listing. i guess its a bonus track, so lets not consider that the last song right now.

also, that part in Lullaby ties in with one of the beginning riffs of the song Deliverance.

Xtokalon, your point makes A LOT of sense, but I understand Static and sometimes agree with him (and sometimes whole-heartedly disagree). The very first time I heard it with headphones and lights out, it really shocked me! I couldn't believe it was Opeth and the mood of the song really made me shiver. But after repeated listens it now annoys me, because I'm usually not "spiritually receptive" to it!! But I still think it should've come BEFORE Ending Credits!!!! That's so annoying!!!!

My friend pointed out that the begining of Closure sounds alot like the part in Demon Of The Fall about 2:15 or so, only slowed.

yourdeadgroom said:
By downloading it, you support the use of file sharing, which means you give approval to those who download and don't buy. If you're happy with that, congratulations :p

Yeah - but I, ummm, wait....................look, by downloading the album, I'm not, umm, hmmm, let me think...........................hey, you're participating in this thread, so by joining in this conversation, you're supporting those who down...........no, that's not it, hmmmmmm............................

Ok Ok. I downloaded. So I buy the album, yet by downloading, I am not giving others reasons not to download. Some may donwload and not buy the lbum - and that's stealing. Hmmm, but what about the other 200+ albums and 1,600+ songs I have on my computer? My bad.

I'll most certainly buy it. With a band as good as Opeth, hearing the music in advance just makes (most) people want to support the band even more.

metalmancpa said:
Yeah - but I, ummm, wait....................look, by downloading the album, I'm not, umm, hmmm, let me think...........................hey, you're participating in this thread, so by joining in this conversation, you're supporting those who down...........no, that's not it, hmmmmmm............................

Ok Ok. I downloaded. So I buy the album, yet by downloading, I am not giving others reasons not to download. Some may donwload and not buy the lbum - and that's stealing. Hmmm, but what about the other 200+ albums and 1,600+ songs I have on my computer? My bad.

I agree with metalmancpa, cos seriously - everyone on this forum is going to buy the album for sure, and those who aren't - and never would have anyway, they would be able to download it after it's release anyway - so whats the big deal

On the other hand i believe that getting an album and hearing it for the first time after you've bought it to be the most satisfying - but i would be lying if i said that i didn't download on occasions

i.e -the new soilwork (which quite simply - licks balls) :yuk: :puke: :yuk:

The album is actually taking a while to grow on me... it didn't actually come out and grab me instantly like it seems to have done with most of you... first time I listened through I was kinda bored.

Its a pretty good album, I'll get it when it comes out, but I was still hoping for a normal Opeth sound with just normal vocals, but its still distinctively Opeth in its own right.

It's definately a grower...like all Opeth albums, maybe even more so this time. It's nice seeing them trying out new things, evolving. But I'm not overly excited over it like most of you, my first impression is that it's ok...not my new opeth favourite or anything, but pretty nice. I like the dark, spooky atmosphere.

well, I adore the album. I may enjoy the 10+ minute metal epics a little more, but I think this is a perfectly placed album for opeth. It is a healthy adventure for the band and for me as the listener it makes me want to listen to all their older stuff more, which in turn makes me want to listen to this album more. Was this their scam all along?

As for the downloading bit. It is awful, and I kind of feel bad about it, even though I've bought their other cd's and will buy this one. Opeth are a band that deserve every penny and them some of my money. If by promoting a wild horde of clowns to pillage their stuff I apologize..and well, I'll buy two and give one away. No I could not wait till April 22nd. Not a chance.

first time I listened through I was kinda bored.

Well thats pretty much the opposite of what happened to me.

First i nearly had a hear attack

Then I was jumping around the room with the excitement of it all

Then I nearly started crying at the beauty of it all

Such a great day it was :nostalgia: