My Damnation Review

Jerkface

New Metal Member
May 9, 2003
Visit site
I'll just review track by track, it'll be easier:

Windowpane: An excellent opener, and one of the best songs on the album by far. Very complex, good melodies, excellent vocal lines, everything about this song rules. Unfortunately, this is one of the very few excellent tracks on Damnation. I had high expectations of Damnation after hearing this track. With the exception of one more highlight, this album goes downhill from here. I give this track a 9 out of 10.

In My Time of Need: This track is pretty good, nothing absolutely special, but it's okay. The choppy vocal lines during the verse are kinda unique for Opeth, and they work well for this song. The chorus is good too, but nothing astonishing. I give this track a 7 out of 10.

Death Whispered A Lullaby: What a weak Opeth song. Not totally terrible, but overall boring. I've come to expect more from these guys than this. The chorus is okay, but not good enough to repeat over and over again. The verse is even more dull, what were they thinking putting this on the CD?? I give this track a 4 out of 10.

Closure: Huh, am I listening to Nick Drake now? It sure sounds like it at the beginning of this track. Sadly, this is another so-so track on this album. A little better than the previous track, but all that stupid percussion, too much distortion for a so-called "soft album", and the abrupt ending ruin the mood of the CD. This song would probably have worked better on Deliverance. I give this track a 5 out of 10.

Hope Leaves: By far one of the most beautiful tracks Opeth have ever penned. The absolute highlight of Damnation, this song while simple, is so gorgeous and sad that it never gets boring. I only wish Opeth could have kept up this level of songwriting during the rest of this CD. I give this track a 10 out of 10.

To Rid the Disease: Another song that's nothing special, but it's better than some of the other nonsense on this album. The chorus is nice, but too bad they did it better in the original Sorskogen song. The solo piano part and instrumental ending are also very nice. Still, I can't help but think Opeth have better songs left in them than this. I give this track a 7 out of 10.

Ending Credits: Well, if this album had been a little longer this song might have had some worth, but sadly this instrumental doesn't do anything to enhance the listening experience. Very dull, and really not worth it's space on the CD. Maybe this was a warning to stop the CD before you heard the worst the album had to offer? I give this track a 3 out of 10.

Weakness: Steve Wilson, please get the hell out of the band's head. If this is going to be the outcome of your obvious but regretable influence, then you are not worthy to be an influence. A boring keyboard track with scattered guitar parts and Mikael singing poorly is what to expect with this makeshift song. This song does not accomplish anything it was supposed to. What an awful song, especially for Opeth! I can't help but think that the other 2 mystery tracks that didn't end up on this CD HAVE to be better than this garbage. I give this track a 1 out of 10.

Well there you have it. Obviously, Damnation didn't live up to it's expectations. While it had some scattered highlights, this really was quite a stupid album put together for mainly the wimpy Opeth fans who complain about the death vocals and are always crying the blues for more soft Opeth tracks. Somtimes giving the newer "fans" what they want isn't always such a good idea after all, huh guys?

Jerkface said:
I'll just review track by track, it'll be easier:

Windowpane: An excellent opener, and one of the best songs on the album by far. Very complex, good melodies, excellent vocal lines, everything about this song rules. Unfortunately, this is one of the very few excellent tracks on Damnation. I had high expectations of Damnation after hearing this track. With the exception of one more highlight, this album goes downhill from here. I give this track a 9 out of 10.

In My Time of Need: This track is pretty good, nothing absolutely special, but it's okay. The choppy vocal lines during the verse are kinda unique for Opeth, and they work well for this song. The chorus is good too, but nothing astonishing. I give this track a 7 out of 10.

Death Whispered A Lullaby: What a weak Opeth song. Not totally terrible, but overall boring. I've come to expect more from these guys than this. The chorus is okay, but not good enough to repeat over and over again. The verse is even more dull, what were they thinking putting this on the CD?? I give this track a 4 out of 10.

Closure: Huh, am I listening to Nick Drake now? It sure sounds like it at the beginning of this track. Sadly, this is another so-so track on this album. A little better than the previous track, but all that stupid percussion, too much distortion for a so-called "soft album", and the abrupt ending ruin the mood of the CD. This song would probably have worked better on Deliverance. I give this track a 5 out of 10.

Hope Leaves: By far one of the most beautiful tracks Opeth have ever penned. The absolute highlight of Damnation, this song while simple, is so gorgeous and sad that it never gets boring. I only wish Opeth could have kept up this level of songwriting during the rest of this CD. I give this track a 10 out of 10.

To Rid the Disease: Another song that's nothing special, but it's better than some of the other nonsense on this album. The chorus is nice, but too bad they did it better in the original Sorskogen song. The solo piano part and instrumental ending are also very nice. Still, I can't help but think Opeth have better songs left in them than this. I give this track a 7 out of 10.

Ending Credits: Well, if this album had been a little longer this song might have had some worth, but sadly this instrumental doesn't do anything to enhance the listening experience. Very dull, and really not worth it's space on the CD. Maybe this was a warning to stop the CD before you heard the worst the album had to offer? I give this track a 3 out of 10.

Weakness: Steve Wilson, please get the hell out of the band's head. If this is going to be the outcome of your obvious but regretable influence, then you are not worthy to be an influence. A boring keyboard track with scattered guitar parts and Mikael singing poorly is what to expect with this makeshift song. This song does not accomplish anything it was supposed to. What an awful song, especially for Opeth! I can't help but think that the other 2 mystery tracks that didn't end up on this CD HAVE to be better than this garbage. I give this track a 1 out of 10.

Well there you have it. Obviously, Damnation didn't live up to it's expectations. While it had some scattered highlights, this really was quite a stupid album put together for mainly the wimpy Opeth fans who complain about the death vocals and are always crying the blues for more soft Opeth tracks. Somtimes giving the newer "fans" what they want isn't always such a good idea after all, huh guys?

fag

HUMMM...well.. that's YOUR opinion and i respect it.

My opinion about the album is: That i was expecting something else, the album its kind of weak, but its not a bad album. The music tends to get a little bit boring sometimes and i was expecting "deeper" lyrics (more depresive). i think this is the worst opeth album, but that dosen't mean its a CRAP album.

I don't regret i bought it.

Innbydelse said:
Why is it so hard to accept that people may have a different opinion then your own?

Needled24Seven said:
that was a horrible review how can you say there is nothing specialy about in my time of need or especially to rid the disease. it really shows how little you know
If he thinks that it's nothing special about those songs, then that is his opinion, respect it.

And what knowledge must one obtain to be able to judge what is special and what is not?

Jerkface said:

I like it how you turn your own opinions on a subject into actual fact.

.....put together for mainly the wimpy Opeth fans.....

And I also like your assumptions.....I'm sure you know Mikaels intent even better than he does.

Somtimes giving the newer "fans" what they want isn't always such a good idea after all, huh guys?

I've been a fan since Morningrise was released, and while this wasn't exactly what I was after if they were going to attempt to 'break from the mould', it's impossible to everyone perfectly.

May I just ask one question though. What is your actual opinion of Opeth... do you even LIKE them?

It just that from memory, the ONLY posts you've made on UM are in these forums... and they all been about how much you DISLIKE somethign about Opeth.

I mean, if you don't like them:

a) Stop listening to them

and

b) Get the FUCK out of these forums!!! An 'Opeth Forum' actually implies "Opeth apprection Forum", believe it or not.

Spike :bah:

I have to say - I agree with Jerkface on some of his points. Im not saying that it is a bad album though; it is a great album. I enjoy it thoroughly and would like nothing changed about it.

However, I do not think this album really fits into Opeth's discography, as Jerkface was hinting at. Maybe Jerkface is the kind of person that only listens to one type of music, but for now i don't really care. The point is that this should not be called an Opeth album. Maybe mike should have made a sideproject for this one (and maybe continued his sorskogen project *hint hint*) but it, nonetheless, is far off from what everything opeth was (i know opeth dont give limits to their music so dont try to use that explanation) or what Opeth will be (if you all recall, mike said they would NEVER to another soft album like this... isnt that limiting their msuic?)

In conclusion, to me (and obviously Jerkface), Damnation is not an Opeth album standing by itself; however, it would have been if it was part of a double album released with Deliverance (God damn you fucking music for nations).

Still a wonderful album, if the name Opeth isnt tagged on it. Im sure you would agree with this Jerkface?

Your review sucked ass and this sucked even more ass:

Jerkface said:

What the fuck are you babbling about?? Oh well, you're from NJ afterall :lol:

KielbasaSausage said:
I have to say - I agree with Jerkface on some of his points. Im not saying that it is a bad album though; it is a great album. I enjoy it thoroughly and would like nothing changed about it.

However, I do not think this album really fits into Opeth's discography, as Jerkface was hinting at. Maybe Jerkface is the kind of person that only listens to one type of music, but for now i don't really care. The point is that this should not be called an Opeth album. Maybe mike should have made a sideproject for this one (and maybe continued his sorskogen project *hint hint*) but it, nonetheless, is far off from what everything opeth was (i know opeth dont give limits to their music so dont try to use that explanation) or what Opeth will be (if you all recall, mike said they would NEVER to another soft album like this... isnt that limiting their msuic?)

In conclusion, to me (and obviously Jerkface), Damnation is not an Opeth album standing by itself; however, it would have been if it was part of a double album released with Deliverance (God damn you fucking music for nations).

Still a wonderful album, if the name Opeth isnt tagged on it. Im sure you would agree with this Jerkface?

I believe the guys in Opeth have the right to release whatever type of music they desire under the name of Opeth. It's their band, not yours or mine or anybody else's.
Damnation sounds nothing like what they have previously released (although it has some feelings from Deliverance to it, obviously), but it's still Opeth. You can tell that after the first 1 or 2 minutes of Windowpane have passed.

actually... most of the songs on the CD bore me too...

ones that i DO think are special...

Windowpane
Hope Leaves
To Rid The Disease
Weakness

i like those... the rest... meh... i can't for the life of me see the appeal of In My Time Of Need though... that might be the worst song on the album for me... it goes nowhere, and the place it stays in isn't even interesting anyway...

I am currently writing on my review as well and as soon it's finished I'll post it here, because I need some feedback on it. It's a working sample which I intend to send to three big Swedish metal mags

<<b) Get the FUCK out of these forums!!! An 'Opeth Forum' actually implies "Opeth apprection Forum", believe it or not.>>

I disagree, all it implies is discussion of Opeth, not unconditional love. People have the right to post negative opinions of the new album, no matter how misinformed. :)

Demonspell said:
<<b) Get the FUCK out of these forums!!! An 'Opeth Forum' actually implies "Opeth apprection Forum", believe it or not.>>

I disagree, all it implies is discussion of Opeth, not unconditional love. People have the right to post negative opinions of the new album, no matter how misinformed. :)

You are completely right, Demonspell.

In addition, I welcome a review that doesn't worship this album for once.

I personally thought it was all very mediocre, the first two tracks being the best. However, I find it excruciatingly grating when Mikael says "..to comtemplate this change.." in 'in my time of need'. Not sure why, really.

A review is an opinion by only the person penning the review, and that person doesn't have the same musical taste as the reader does. From my experience, no two peoples musical tastes are exactly alike.

Why do people get so upset over a review? Read it, and take it with a grain of salt.

Oh, and I'll add my opinion:
Closure has quickly become one of my favorite songs by any band, and Windowpane is also a beautiful track.

Beast In Flames said:
I believe the guys in Opeth have the right to release whatever type of music they desire under the name of Opeth. It's their band, not yours or mine or anybody else's.
Damnation sounds nothing like what they have previously released (although it has some feelings from Deliverance to it, obviously), but it's still Opeth. You can tell that after the first 1 or 2 minutes of Windowpane have passed.

They could release a rap record and still call it Opeth for all i care jackass. But it still wouldnt follow a sensible progression...