People you have gotten into Opeth

:lol: Oh well...

My b/f is the only person I've gotten into Opeth. It was funny because when I met him, I think he was more of a music fan than I was. He's a huge "Ozzy-Dream Theater-Dio-Scorpions-AC/DC-Metal Church-Rush" type fan. I liked all them, but no death metal though which I REALLY like a lot.

Then I brought home Opeth and he was like "This Opeth...it's pretty fucking good." I nearly fainted to hear him speaking about a band other than one of his own favorites in such a way. It made me so happy to hear that.

:)

My wife likes Opeth a lot more than the other black metal I listen to like emperor, etc.. because they go acoustic in most songs, but I still don't really crank it up around her cuz the growls kind get to her after a while.

Hey, Curbstone, your avatar is exactly what I was going to use, so now I can't use a con logo cuz you'll think I copied you. are you a collector?

-iz

I got at least one guy into Opeth and buying their CD's, he's in fact the lead singer and guitarist of the band below. :headbang:

I myself got into them by reading about them in obscure underground magazines back in like '94 or something. I was discovering the Swedish melodic Death scene at that time and pretty much bought everything that was Swedish, Death Metal, melodic, recorded in Dan Swanö's Unisound studio's and preferably released on No Fashion records. Apart from the label Orchid had all these features...

As said I got their name from UG 'zines and got interested in them because they got signed solely on basis of some rehearsal tapes that Lee of Candlelight recs got his hands on after I believe Ihsahn of Emperor had recommended Opeth to him, they had to be good!

Morningrise is still my undisputed fave Opeth album, I was a bit disappointed with MAYH when it came out, I like it but never really got into it. Still Life and Blackwater Park are good though, but Morningrise still rules the waves... :worship:

Ive got a proud 5........one of them is Katatonia289 who posts on here........the rest are from my school.......one of them is in my year....the rest are the year older.
My brother and my friends first got me into Opeth many years ago......i think i know like 14 ppl that like them..so thats pretty cool. \m/ ^_^ \m/

Izual - haha...sorry about that! I only got it about 2 weeks ago too! Nah not a collector though. Used to have stacks when I was a kid but I think they ended up as hand me downs to my cousins. I have the movie on DVD and the soundtrack...plus my mobile phone ring is the Trans theme but thats it for me. But I will prolly by the series when they are released on DVD too.

Cutter - oh yeah Mick only came to Brissy about 2 years ago. And he was only here for a year then he went back to Darwin. It was good when he was here though cause it was cool to catch up with Darwin people again....might give him a call this weekend anyway...

Cheers

Paul D.

I recently got a friend into Opeht. He wasnt into any european metal but I recently put together a minidisc of stuff like Moonspell, Tiamat, The Haunted, Gathering, In Flames, Samael, L Coil etc and decided to include Bleak in the middle despite its slightly out of place running time... and it was the one track he really liked. So much so that he bought Blackwater Park and Still Life and says BWP is one of his top 5 albums - and this guys other albums were stuff like Smashing Pumpkins and Korn! He's even coming with me to the gig in London this month!

My name is Mike and the 4 people I have gotten into Opeth are also named Mike, coincidence, I think not! Well then there's my sister, I believe her name is Dawn. :lol:

I had bad experiences in that area. I tried to lure a couple of my
fellow Death fans into it recently, but the response was rather
moderate. Bastards!
So I went over and kicked their asses brutally, tore them inside out and hung them out to dry!

My way:
Just play your stuff, and if someone happens to hear it and like it,
that's just great.

I've gotten a lot of people into a lot of different bands (you'd be amazed how many people just love Nightwish - the vast majority of people have heard nothing like it ever before and just love it) but Opeth is always the hardest one for me, both because it is my absolute favourite band, and the one I take most seriously. I've only really attempted to directly get one person into Opeth although I've played various songs for other people ...I expect him to purchase a CD soon.

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
I've gotten a lot of people into a lot of different bands (you'd be amazed how many people just love Nightwish - the vast majority of people have heard nothing like it ever before and just love it)

So true! Literally everyone I have listen to them enjoys it, even my mom, who owns nothing but a few Michael Bolton and Elton John albums, literally.