Opeth Converts?

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
So do you guys find it easy to get people into Opeth? Recently I've found that a lot of people are actualy willing to get past (or into) the growls and give Opeth a shot. Here at school I've managed to get two people into Opeth, one was already into In Flames and Massugah and so forth so I figured he'd get into them, but the other guy told me before I lent him an album, "I'm realy not too into those bands that are a bunch of longhaird guys in makeup running in the woods trying to scare people." Never the less I lent him Morningrise and he liked it a lot. Then a I got a nice call from my dad this morning in which he mentioned he had just bought the BWP special eddition. Even my mom kind of got into Opeth, though the growling gets to her at times. Anyways was just wondering if others have manged to convert many people into Opeth fans...

Getting myself into Opeth was the easy part, but the more and more i listen to it, the more and more i find it hard to believe that people could actually think of it as tasteless and bland. However, that's what the majority of my friends think of Opeth, either classifying it as "more of that crazy music he listens to" or just plain bad. Then again, these are the same friends who are totally into Dave Matthews, Blink 182, and Ben Folds. However, several of my close friends who are around me a lot, and thus around my music a lot, have definitely taken to Opeth's music, albeit the lighter stuff. My roommate was so transfixed by "The Drapery Falls" that he came to see them with me on the Deliverance tour, and now he's definitely a fan thanks to their kick ass show. But yeah, most of the people that like some of it complain about the death metal vocals, but what do they know :D

Opeth fucking rules!

I've introduced a good number of my friends to opeth over the years, but most of them were into metal to begin with so it wasn't that hard.

The one song that I find appeals to a lot of non-metal people is A Fair Judgement...but even given that, they have a hard time with the rest of the (heavier) catalogue. Oh well, their loss.

The only person Ive converted into a fan is my roommate, after forcing him to listen to BWP mixed in with some of my other more aggressive cds, Id ask him "what do you think of Krisiun?" 'they're ok, I don't like them as much as Opeth I guess' which shocked me because I didnt think he'd like any of them, he likes a lot of nu metal. Then the next day he asked to borrow BWP and I didnt get it back for a while!

They've lost it long ago. Open minded people come to love Opeth, especially musicians in general, but others who listen to music for cheap thrills just don't take the time, so I don't bother. My mom thinks they're ok, but then again, all she has heard is damnation hehe.

i've gotten my friend to like opeth, he even baught MAYH... i've influenced two of my friends a lot
i've turned them from radio crap, to nevermore, lacuna coil, opeth, etc..

My friends are all losers who say I talk about them too much, when I don't. For some reason, them actually knowing what bands I'm a fan of justifies them telling me I talk about them a lot. I have a friend who likes their guitar work, a friend who's only really a fan of one band, and another friend who just hates music.

And my mom heard Damnation and loved it.

It's funny, I don't try to force anyone to like Opeth, or similar death metal music simply becuase I know that forcing doesn't help. Instead, I try to somehow fit the recommendation of bands like Opeth into the conversation so that if the person is ACTUALLY listening to me, he/she is obligated to ask about 'this band I speak of'. Then I get into the details and soon after they are interested enough to give them a listen. That doesn't equate to them liking Opeth, but at least they tried.

Oh, and whenever my parents walk-in on me playing some Opeth during the growls, they say something like:

"Oh my God, what kind of music is that? He sounds like a demon! Are you okay?"

And other times they walk-in when I listen to Opeth during some solos and they say something similar to:

"Wow, that's some beautiful music. I can't believe it sounds soo good. What band is this?"

I respond with:

"The same band that did the growling last time you came in"

Then they looked puzzled when I said that, and just walked away, still puzzled. That's progressive music for ya. ;)

I don't like to talk to people about them because its so hard to explain that they are beyond cheap death metal and numetal bands. If I see someone who likes progressive music then I always mention Opeth but never to fans of radio or certain death metal bands. The thread should have been,"what do your parents say when they hear Opeth?" Well, mine don't really care except when he does the whole growl thing. Then they hear the transition from heavy to soft and they can't say anything because they know it owns their weak shit!! Its so annoying talking to people about Opeth because people can be so damn immature with their music tastes. Famous quotes are: "Why does he have to sing like that all the time??" "Why does he have to sing like a pussy?"(thats when I beat the shit out of them)"Why are the songs so long?" "Awwww man, those acoustics sound so gay?" "They'd be better if they were heavy all the time." Damn I hate people.

Kill them!

I kind of got my friend into Damnation and he also listened to D1, but he doesnt like the growling. My parents dont really care, especially my mother, which is cool.

I've converted a lot of people here. Last summer we( me and my group of people) spent a lot of time camping and smoking pot around a campfire.. everytime we did this I brought along a Guitar. Eventually I converted about 30 or 40 people from pretty much metallica fans or people who didn't listen to music ( not all of them of course) Into Pink Floyd, and radiohead fans. Most of them trusted what I had to say about music so I got around 10 of them into some of the not as easily accesible bands I listen to.. Now I have converted 4 musicians into Opeth fans... and most of my close friends now listen to basicially the music I was raised on as a musician .. it's pretty awesome going out with 10 or so friends who really enjoy to take part in a conversation about Opeth ... and it's awesome knowing all the answers. Good people./.. good times

Opeth is the band which bridges the gaps between fans of different music. It seems that they have something in their music that appeals to listeners of every genre.

Pita Bread said:
Opeth is the band which bridges the gaps between fans of different music. It seems that they have something in their music that appeals to listeners of every genre.

You're right about that! Opeth is very different from the other music I usually have listened to.

Things I've listened to the last years: Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, Portishead, System of a Down (1st record only), Alice in Chains, Type O Negative, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Banco de Gaia, Talvin Singh, Metallica and other stuff... I dont know if that is the typical taste for the average Opeth fan. :p

What brought me into Opeth was the last part of the Deliverance song. "WOWWW!! omfg! This is something I must really check out!" Listened to it "by accident"...

Anyway, I see Opeths music as very serious and mature music, and they are excellent musicians!!! I realle love the complexity of the songs, it's music that really grows everytime you listenes to it! Anyone who loves music, will love Opeth if they only gives it some time to sink in.

Now I have listened a lot to Blackwater Park and Deliverance (and some Damnation). Time to move on to other Opeth records. :)