Opeth Converts?

Opeth are mature, indeed, Toa.

They don't dress up as society failures just to look "cool". They don't have to praise an evil non-existant being to be "cool". They're just making music we love.

I know a few people who like stuff like "radiohead" and the like. Even though they're not heavy, they are somewhat mystical. They could probably like Opeth. But I haven't tried "convincing" them. I do it when the right opportunity comes.

I'm on strike right now (the grocery strike in SoCal), and one of the things keeping us going is music. I back my car up to the picket line and blast satellite radio or CDs. Yesterday, I thought I'd try out some Opeth on my fellow picketers. Started 'em off easy with Blackwater Park. Several people asked who it was and wanted to see the CD cover. Some of the guys are hip-hop fans who appreciated the "hardness". I then popped in MAYH for some additional hardness.

I also have a guitar playing friend who is quite the musical snob. Unless the band shreds with virtuosity (Dream Theater, Yngwie, Shawn Lane, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, etc.), he fucking hates them. So I burned him a carefully chosen mix CD (Deliverance, Bleak, Fair Judgement, Harvest, Serenity Painted Death, Drapery Falls, etc.) He loves it. :)

well..im in the process of converting my fiance and my best friend into the land of Metal...i got them into Bodom and Nevermore which wasnt hard because we went to the show...i need to get them into Opeth and thats the next step!

The great thing about Opeth is the many layers in their music. There are many elements (small sounds, backing guitars, etc) that you would not be able to pick up instantly while listening, but if you took those elements out of the song, you would know something is missing. Everything is blended together, and all the elements complement each other to create beautiful songs. That, my friends, is the mark of truly amazing songwriting.

I might tell a younger crowd abotu Opeth just so they get exposed to something besides what is immediately there for them. But for people that don't already listen to death/black/prog and are like 19+ I don't even bother anymore. The way I see it is, if they haven't ventured far enough into the whole music thing by now...they'll never appreciate it the same way we do. I'm sure nobody told many of us about Opeth and were discovered by our search for decent music. So if they don't give a shit why even bother telling them about something so damn great? "Ooooh sounds cool, anyway...have you heard the new linkin park?" and thats as far as it goes. (and as far as their life goes)X(

DreamingofUr said:
But for people that don't already listen to death/black/prog and are like 19+ I don't even bother anymore.(

Just so you don't completely give up hope on us "older" folks, I thought I should tell you that I'm 23, and I've never been into death/blag/prog metal before. I've been searching for good music for the past 6 years or so, and my tastes have naturally grown heavier and heavier. Recently I started getting into some heavier metal bands like Killswitch and Shadows Fall and In Flames, then saw the video for Windowpane on Headbanger's Ball. I was intrigued because I had never seen anything so laid back on a metal show, and that's how I found Opeth. In the span of a couple months, this band has single-handedly opened me up to the world of what I now consider "real" metal. I purchased all of Opeth's CDs within two weeks of each other, and am now thoroughly enjoying getting to know each one and being blown away by each one individually. Anyway, I just thought I'd share my story and let you know that even us newbies can be fully converted.

Converted said:
Just so you don't completely give up hope on us "older" folks, I thought I should tell you that I'm 23, and I've never been into death/blag/prog metal before. I've been searching for good music for the past 6 years or so, and my tastes have naturally grown heavier and heavier. Recently I started getting into some heavier metal bands like Killswitch and Shadows Fall and In Flames, then saw the video for Windowpane on Headbanger's Ball. I was intrigued because I had never seen anything so laid back on a metal show, and that's how I found Opeth. In the span of a couple months, this band has single-handedly opened me up to the world of what I now consider "real" metal. I purchased all of Opeth's CDs within two weeks of each other, and am now thoroughly enjoying getting to know each one and being blown away by each one individually. Anyway, I just thought I'd share my story and let you know that even us newbies can be fully converted.

That is really good to here. I hope they do for you what they do for me as well. (or us all!!)

I've tried maybe one of my friends to listen to Opeth but she still listens to emo and crap and is like yea Opeth's cool..I don't think she's even listened to a full song of their's but other than that I don't try to get my friends into any of my music..they're either brainwashed or.. I just like them to find it on their own..somehow.

Forget "getting past the growls"

I embrace that now....
its something I have found so much respect for in Mikael, because their image isn't "black metal or goth" in ANY way...
He can belt out those notes better than a bunch of cheesy death metal bands, and he doesn't need any makeup to do so either.