Opeth goes commercial?

I have got a magazine called EMP subscribed, im getting it for three years i think.. They always got commercial things to sell, for example shirts of rammstein slipknot metallica etc, just the normal shit (but they got cheap CDs).
As i got the new issue i saw an opeth shirt in there. Ok Opeth-stuff can be bought in nearly every online shop, but i never saw anything of them in a commercial magazine.. I dont think that this means "big selling", but it shocked me a bit. I dont want the small secret to go "known"; i mean i really dont know anybody listening to opeth, and nobody ever talked to me about them, and i really enjoy that! I dont want them to go commercial, and i dont want that Opeth-shirt in this fucking magazine :yell:
Ok this may be ridiculous, because Mikael says (on the DVDs Interview) that Opeth wont ever make commercial music..

What do you think?

I don't think Mike will allow himself to create overly commercial music, like he says on the dvd Opeth aren't reliable enough to be a commercial band. I know what you mean about not wanting everyone to love Opeth, it's nice loving a band that some people just dont get

They sell Blackwater Park, Deliverance & Damnation at all music stores in Australia. It's not unusual to me.

I don't mind if Opeth sell merchandise in a "commerical" way, just as long as it doesn't compromise their music. Which I doubt it would do.

merci said:
They sell Blackwater Park, Deliverance & Damnation at all music stores in Australia. It's not unusual to me.
I don't know what wacky record stores you go to, but I can only ever find them in JB Hi-Fi.

Lots of people got diffrent opinions on begin commercial.But i think it`s healthy for a band to be a bit commercial.Dont get me wrong,but to be able to tour and sell merchendices and make a living out of it.Not necesseraly get tv promotions or any things like that.But be like Opeth right now i think they like the way it works.

I see Opeth merch in magazines all the time....maybe they'reeven more commercialized here in the States (like that would be SO surprising...)?

There's a huge difference between selling a lot of albums by making brilliant and original music and selling a lot of albums by following trends and making up a trendy image. I.e. if you make great music, it is likely that your band will eventually sell a huge number of copies of your albums. The difference here is the fact that with commercial bands, the success may come overnight. And Opeth didn't make it overnight, you know, it took several albums for them to get this far... :)

So, you don't want more people to listen to music that doesn't suck? And you wouldn't hope for the guys in Opeth to get a bit little more in their royalties?

You people need to have faith in Mikael's musical vision and integrity. A few more sold t-shirts isn't going to turn him into Lars Ulrich.

Alternative 3 said:
They are famous for thier music, not for being commercial

Exactly.
Opeth will never sell out because they don't need too. selling merchandise is just part of being in a band that makes money, heh. i don't think they've come this far just for fame.

By the way, a couple of days ago, on my way to work (I needed to take a bus coz my car's broken) I saw a young guy sitting in the front of the bus wearing an Opeth t-shirt. My first thought was NOT "wow, Opeth is now too commercial coz I can their shirts everywhere" but "damn, this is nice, a lot of people seem to appreciate and like their music"..

goashem said:
My first thought was NOT "wow, Opeth is now too commercial coz I can their shirts everywhere" but "damn, this is nice, a lot of people seem to appreciate and like their music"..

OK as you told it, i realizeed that i think i will feel the same when i will meet anyone wearing an opeth shirt in my town!
think i exaggerated.. so.. thanks for your comments..!

:)

fuscous said:
I have got a magazine called EMP subscribed, im getting it for three years i think.. They always got commercial things to sell, for example shirts of rammstein slipknot metallica etc, just the normal shit (but they got cheap CDs).
As i got the new issue i saw an opeth shirt in there. Ok Opeth-stuff can be bought in nearly every online shop, but i never saw anything of them in a commercial magazine.. I dont think that this means "big selling", but it shocked me a bit. I dont want the small secret to go "known"; i mean i really dont know anybody listening to opeth, and nobody ever talked to me about them, and i really enjoy that! I dont want them to go commercial, and i dont want that Opeth-shirt in this fucking magazine :yell:
Ok this may be ridiculous, because Mikael says (on the DVDs Interview) that Opeth wont ever make commercial music..

What do you think?
I think you are listening to music/metal for the wrong reasons .... what is it to you if Opeth make some money..maybe they will make better music if they live at ease with money.. or quit and come to the realization that their fans would rather spend time talking about a fucking stupid ......... ahhh fuck this nevermind.

The shirt is cool man ... I dig the idea

Hm.. well i dont think i listen to music for the wrong reasons. I dont have a problem if they will make some money. maybe i used the wrong words, its just that i dont want this wonderful secret to become known, you know..? just as FUBAR said, it's nice loving a band that some people just dont get. people are going to get them, if you understand what i mean..
thank you

emp does sell commercial stuff...but they also sell rhapsody and ed guy merchandise...they just have a lot of different genres and items in their repetoire. i think it has very little bearing on Opeth's success and pop status.

I don't care what Opeth does whether it's playing the halftime Superbowl or playing on MTV new years in times square, if they don't compromise with their music, everything is cool.

fuscous said:

What do you think?
OH NOES. Opeth is selling T-Shirts. nothing is any good if anyone else likes it! liek omg wtf.

seriously. if you care if other people like Opeth, seek help.

Opeth music is in Best Buy...who cares? As long as they don't "sound" commercial, I don't care if Opeth tee shirts are sold at the Gap. I would never buy them, however. Plus, it's not really the band members' decision to put advertizements for their merchandise. It's the marketing dept. of the record company that does it.