Opeth being great...and death growls

JoeVice

Jul 6, 2003
Murdock, NE
Visit site
I have been thinking about this a lot, and thought i would say something, especially in light of the recent "oh no, opeth is going commercial" thread.

If people didn't listen to opeth as the genre of metal, i truly think they could be seen as one of the greatest bands of all time on a huge "commercial" level. opeth doesn't play metal...they play music. they just happen to use "metal" instruments.

i am also discovering how to do death growls...i never thought i could, then i learned...and its fucking sweet. i discovered i was trying way to hard...i'm pretty pumped.

anyway....

It's not true for all their albums I think, Deliverance really needs the metal sound in my opinion, the riffs aren't that godlike. Thé Master's Apprentice riff would sound really silly if it wasn't played like a metal riff. Still Life on the other hand, is a real musical masterpiece blahblah (nothing new...). So, I don't know man. I also thought sometimes "WHY does everyone think it's shit? It rules."
Not everyone appreciates the brutal metal style. And that's still a big part of their songs, not?

yes, a lot of songs are brutal. but, the issue i was discussing is the act of putting that "metal" label on it, and judging the music by the fact that it is "metal." this problem can be applied to all music. people are too busy listening to the genres of music, rather than the music itself.

JoeVice said:
they play music. they just happen to use "metal" instruments.

yes, electric and acoustic guitars....very exclusive to metal music.

no but really...Opeth is a metal band. They are not restricted by any one formula, or style, and often break boundaries in everything they try...but that doesnt make them not a metal band. im sure the band would agree.

i'm not saying that they are not a metal band...yes they are! their music is heavy, sometimes brutal, and they have death growls, double bass, etc. but, it is these factors that turn most people off of what matters, which is the music itself...not strictly the fashion in which its done.

isn't it frustrating to introduce someone to opeth, and hear "this is psychotic, its just noise!"

when they say that, they are commenting on the "metal" aspect of the music.

No it isn't if you're forcing people who don't like prog death metal or they use to hear another kind of metal...
Or if you're trying to introduce Britney Spears into that genre, sure she'll say: 'This is psychotic, it's just noise!!' while she's touching her blonde hair, but that kind of people doesn't count. Ok, I'm missing my point here again. Fuck.
\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

JoeVice said:
isn't it frustrating to introduce someone to opeth, and hear "this is psychotic, its just noise!"

JoeVice said:
i'm not saying that they are not a metal band...yes they are! their music is heavy, sometimes brutal, and they have death growls, double bass, etc. but, it is these factors that turn most people off of what matters, which is the music itself...not strictly the fashion in which its done.

when they say that, they are commenting on the "metal" aspect of the music.

That's what Damnation's there for.

I just got the New England Metal Hardcore Festival DVD and I can say, if by the bands that played, Opeth is not metal, Lacuna Coil and Opeth where the only two bands I could stand to listen to and they where the least "metal".

These labels suck because it forces you to pack them in with other bands, they play music with metal influences.

I don't see why a band is "more" metal, just by playing louder or more distorted or more aggesively or whatever. By that definition, the "most" metal would be some band that makes pure unlistenable 200 dB noise. Opeth's music has passages that are aggressive and growling, but they never lose the melody and musical skill. Many death metal bands just don't have that much ability.

Demilich said:
I love this guy :)

You're twisting his words in a very Michael Moore fashion.

What he means is that Opeth plays music that just happens to be heavy - they are a band that discards the limitations of genres. You could always see Opeth as not a metal band with folk/progressive rock influences, but a folk/progressive rock band with metal influences. Either way, the whole 'labelling a band with a genre' becomes very tiring, very quickly. I've heard tool being called alternative metal, art rock, maths rock, and even 'intellectual progressive metal'. So many bands get caught up under genre labelling.

If we 'unlabel' Opeth from the metal genre, and take away this universal mindset that Opeth only plays the genre of 'metal', they could become a lot more accessible.

JoeVice said:
Like I said, there's a big chance that the riff that's playing on your listening session is a fat metal riff, that appeals to us because of the brutality mixed with some intelligent riff writing, but when you cut out the metal thing, there won't be enough left to impress the blond babe you invited ;)

Yeah man I like the growls too. A friend introduced me to Opeth about two and a half years ago, I believe deliverance was the song, and at the time I was new to the growls (previously I had listened to dying fetus hehe) and damn, I just got into them! So much energy....so....mmm gives me the chills

Demilich said:
I love this guy :)

i can see how i'm wording my point wrong.

i'm just saying that if people listened to opeth for what they were, then they could appreciate the "metal style" that they play it in.

a lot of times, this is the order of importance when it comes to judging music.

1. genre, style
2. music

this is how i think music should be judged.

1. music
2. genre, style

This is all in light of my recent increase in appreciation for all kinds of music. i used to be a strictly metal guy. then i heard opeth, and like wilson said on the dvd...there is something else about them...and its not about the fact that they have long songs, and acoustic passages...its the idea and feeling that they portray. that is what makes them original.

Luz said:
No it isn't if you're forcing people who don't like prog death metal or they use to hear another kind of metal...
Or if you're trying to introduce Britney Spears into that genre, sure she'll say: 'This is psychotic, it's just noise!!' while she's touching her blonde hair, but that kind of people doesn't count. Ok, I'm missing my point here again. Fuck.
\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

this is my point. yes, it is frustrating. people are too tied down to genres and labels...they are what separate the world of music...those labels aren't meant to judge the music itself, they are meant to categorize the different styles that the music is played in.

heres a crazy analogy...its kind of like dualism...there is the body (genre)...then there is the mind (the idea of the music). the body is the transport for the mind...but a completely different thing....so, judging one by their physical appearence, as we all should know, is pretty arrogant and close-minded. its their mind, and soul that should be appreciated.

sorry about the multiple posts, i just don't want to be misunderstood, because i believe pretty strongly in the point i am trying to make.

atilla000 said:
Like I said, there's a big chance that the riff that's playing on your listening session is a fat metal riff, that appeals to us because of the brutality mixed with some intelligent riff writing, but when you cut out the metal thing, there won't be enough left to impress the blond babe you invited ;)

i see your point...hmmm...but, if you cut out the metal thing, then the riff isn't even there anymore...because the only reason that you were able to call it metal, is because the riff was played.

Anarkissed said:
You're twisting his words in a very Michael Moore fashion.

What he means is that Opeth plays music that just happens to be heavy - they are a band that discards the limitations of genres. You could always see Opeth as not a metal band with folk/progressive rock influences, but a folk/progressive rock band with metal influences. Either way, the whole 'labelling a band with a genre' becomes very tiring, very quickly. I've heard tool being called alternative metal, art rock, maths rock, and even 'intellectual progressive metal'. So many bands get caught up under genre labelling.

If we 'unlabel' Opeth from the metal genre, and take away this universal mindset that Opeth only plays the genre of 'metal', they could become a lot more accessible.

yes!!!

once again guys, sorry about all the posts.