Opeth being great...and death growls

BurningSky said:
1. "A 'music' band that plays 'metal'" ???? What the shit are you on man? What the FUCK is a music band? If you're not a complete retard, you will just listen to music enough to truly like it even if its outside of your usual genre of choice. 2. And if they still dont like it even when theyre over the fact that its metal? Oh well, Opeth isn't for everybody.

1. by saying a "music" band that plays "metal," i am trying to put the importance of genre in second place.

2. this is just an assumption...but don't you think that you know some people who never "get over the fact that its metal?"

*sigh* look the rest of the world would hear Opeth and other "underground" (tho Opeth are hardly underground) Metal bands if they got their heads out of their arses and actually looked for music beyond the reaches of MTV.

sigh. like i've said before, not many people want to listen to death metal. it doesn't matter if opeth are good at what they do. try explaining "mike's death vocals are incredible" to someone who doesn't listen to death metal.
on top of that, most people are NOT music fans - they listen to music because it's on the radio or the tv. or what magazines tell them to listen to. i was at a friends house the other night and i had to endure the endless string of bands like coldplay, the shins, and any number of those bands who sound exactly alike.
the bottom line is this: opeth are a musicians band. average joe doesnt have any inclination to sit down and listen to a 12 minute song with growls and distortion. it's in our best interest to stop wishing they were more popular. who fucking cares? apparently, opeth don't.

yah, they don't want to listen to death metal! thats what is too bad. genre shouldn't matter! its music!! i know that i am living in a dream world when i wish for this stuff, because i doubt it will ever happen.

btw...coldplay rocks man...just my opinion.

well, this might not be totally relevant, but i've been looking for other, let's say, "extreme" metal bands that i might love as much as opeth, but so far i just can't do it...i've heard too many that really lack compositional complexity, dynamics and vocals that make sense musically... (i've been truned on to non-metal stuff thru opeth like PT and Blackfield...)
so, i guess maybe opeth does stand out...
but i'm still new to this game :)
naturally, any recommendations for specific bands/albums that i should check out would always be appreciated via pm...
thanks...

once again, no...that is not the concept of this topic. in no way am i comparing them to any other metal bands. instead i'm just trying to get them out of being stuck in the underground metal shelter...because that is keeping a lot of people from hearing some great music.
Sorry to break it to you but the majority of the human race is composed of ignorance and stupidity bound in flesh. I'm sure Opeth would rather have a few loyal and intellegent fans then an army of the normal idiots.

JoeVice said:
yah, they don't want to listen to death metal! thats what is too bad. genre shouldn't matter! its music!! i know that i am living in a dream world when i wish for this stuff, because i doubt it will ever happen.

btw...coldplay rocks man...just my opinion.

Even if you didn't call it death metal and you called it Life Pop, people would just tell you they don't like Life pop because there is growling it in. And if you went further as to not call it anything, they would listen to it, hear the growls, and say "oh this is metal" and make a judgement however they may. Labels are a very necessary thing for the human brain, get over it.

agreed. joevice, we understand you wish more people would like opeth. the thing is, they dont and wont and maybe, they simply can't. like i said one too many times, most of here play an instrument. that almost automatically makes us seek out more interesting music to listen to. a show of hands: how many of us listen to [insert name of any well-known band here]? nothing else to be said.

i like your favorite band, nick.
*dorian puts on the latest ryan cabrera album*

I dunno who that is... but alas, it cannot be as cool as these guys.

makeup-onoff.jpg

haha! it was a joke. i only heard his name on the radio.
*dorian fails at humor*
decadents actual favorite band is jackyl.