Opeth being great...and death growls

The most distinct characteristic of Opeth's music is that they're metal though. What people cite as the factor that sets them apart from the rest of the metal world seems to be a distinct difference, not essentially an aspect that they can be pidgeonholed into a genre by.

The difference here is that Opeth play 10 minute METAL songs that are ocassionally broken with acoustic interludes and clean electric parts. Opposed to Opeth playing folk/classical/progressive rock with the ocassional metal interlude.

They are called a metal band because they ARE predominantly metal. The label wasn't ascribed to them because people are lazy, but because it's the most fitting to characterise their sound.

Moonlapse said:
The most distinct characteristic of Opeth's music is that they're metal though. What people cite as the factor that sets them apart from the rest of the metal world seems to be a distinct difference, not essentially an aspect that they can be pidgeonholed into a genre by.

The difference here is that Opeth play 10 minute METAL songs that are ocassionally broken with acoustic interludes and clean electric parts. Opposed to Opeth playing folk/classical/progressive rock with the ocassional metal interlude.

They are called a metal band because they ARE predominantly metal. The label wasn't ascribed to them because people are lazy, but because it's the most fitting to characterise their sound.

what difference do you speak of?...the fact that they have 10 minute songs that have growls, and acoustic passages? yah, i agree. but thats what a lot of people care about...not the idea, or the feeling that is being displayed.

i know that they are predominantly a metal band....but thats my point...who gives a fuck that they are metal band...they are are a music band that plays metal.

wdiv said:
I don't see why a band is "more" metal, just by playing louder or more distorted or more aggesively or whatever. By that definition, the "most" metal would be some band that makes pure unlistenable 200 dB noise. Opeth's music has passages that are aggressive and growling, but they never lose the melody and musical skill. Many death metal bands just don't have that much ability.
haha you're pretty dumb

JoeVice said:
what difference do you speak of?...the fact that they have 10 minute songs that have growls, and acoustic passages? yah, i agree. but thats what a lot of people care about...not the idea, or the feeling that is being displayed.

i know that they are predominantly a metal band....but thats my point...who gives a fuck that they are metal band...they are are a music band that plays metal.

That's what the 'metal' label insinuates, that the band in question are a band that play music, but their music shares the greatest commonality between the metal genre.

If someone vehemently despises metal, they aren't going to like Opeth. They're gonna say 'oh nice interlude' here and there, but the majority of the music isn't going to be to their liking.

Bringing me back to the first post, this is what Damnation is there for. People will hear a mellower side of Opeth and decide to backtrack through their catalogue. When forced to listen to the metal parts interchangeably with the mellow parts they might coerce themselves into starting to 'understand' the metal parts and their respective use in Opeth's music.

Don't fool yourself into thinking Opeth are somehow 'above' the entire metal genre and better than their supposed peers. Too many people believe that, and in recent times, a growing number of Opeth fans do. This is the sort of elitism that runs rampant throughout the Jazz and Classical genres (the fans don't appreciate anything else... jazz/classical > all etc.).

You can label Opeth 'happy forest-prancing music with distorted guitars' and the people who don't like metal still won't like their music. The genre gives them a simple guideline as to what they should expect... and in my opinion it isn't misleading them in the least. Progressive Death Metal. I'd say that's fairly acute.

Moonlapse said:
That's what the 'metal' label insinuates, that the band in question are a band that play music, but their music shares the greatest commonality between the metal genre.

-right, but thats not my argument...

If someone vehemently despises metal, they aren't going to like Opeth. They're gonna say 'oh nice interlude' here and there, but the majority of the music isn't going to be to their liking.

-right...because its metal.

Bringing me back to the first post, this is what Damnation is there for. People will hear a mellower side of Opeth and decide to backtrack through their catalogue. When forced to listen to the metal parts interchangeably with the mellow parts they might coerce themselves into starting to 'understand' the metal parts and their respective use in Opeth's music.

-yah, i suppose that does help...i have a few friends that were eased into opeth by damnation. i also have a few that like damnation, but hate everything else. why do they hate everything else? *said in a disgusted manner*-->"its just noise...its not even music...growls...uhhh"
they don't even give the music a chance...its just growls!

Don't fool yourself into thinking Opeth are somehow 'above' the entire metal genre and better than their supposed peers. Too many people believe that, and in recent times, a growing number of Opeth fans do. This is the sort of elitism that runs rampant throughout the Jazz and Classical genres (the fans don't appreciate anything else... jazz/classical > all etc.).

-never did i say they are above some other music. they just appeal to me in a different way. i like them better than any other band out there right now. so, in my mind, they are better than any other band. is that arrogant, or is it just an opinion?

You can label Opeth 'happy forest-prancing music with distorted guitars' and the people who don't like metal still won't like their music. The genre gives them a simple guideline as to what they should expect... and in my opinion it isn't misleading them in the least. Progressive Death Metal. I'd say that's fairly acute.

-it can be misleading...lets pretend that some guy despises hip-hop...someone decides to show him a new album they purchased. they say, its great music...i love it...these guys are amazing. then they tell him that its hip-hop. BRICK WALL...in a lot of unfortunate cases, this guy has already made up his mind.

i guess i just think that a preffered style of music can be blinding if it is relied on too much...instead of just appreciating music for what it is. i've made the mistake way too much, and thanks to opeth...i'm getting away from that problem.

i haven't said that opeth is not metal...that is an entirely different issue that is appart from what i am talking about.

i'm not speaking against classifying music...i'm speaking against making judgement on music based on classifications.

"A 'music' band that plays 'metal'" ???? What the shit are you on man? What the FUCK is a music band? I guess that's in contrast to a metal band that plays music.. not many of those... I think I see what assinine point you're trying to make, and I'd have to say that ... yes, it sucks when you tell someone "Hey, check out this band" "what kinda music" "its metal" "oh... .well yeah, im not really into metal"... So they have a predetermination. I have tons of friends that listen to music no where near metal, and I played a few Damnation songs and Harvest for them and now they're all into the band. If you're not a complete retard, you will just listen to music enough to truly like it even if its outside of your usual genre of choice. And if they still dont like it even when theyre over the fact that its metal? Oh well, Opeth isn't for everybody.

The concept of this topic - "Opeth are great, and should be considered more than a metal band".

This is dumb. End of thread.
Agreed. Not all metal sounds the same, their not supposed to! The bands who have made a impression on metal music have been the ones willing to try new things, which Opeth have done.

But that doesnt in the slightest bit mean that they are in any way 'superior' to metal. Even if it's incredibly profound to you, that doesnt make it anything other than metal. Maybe you should seek out some more bands...

Moonlapse said:
Don't fool yourself into thinking Opeth are somehow 'above' the entire metal genre and better than their supposed peers. Too many people believe that, and in recent times, a growing number of Opeth fans do.

I suddenly liked you a whole lot better.

Opeth is a progressive metal band that relies heavily on clean interludes and changing between clean singing and growls. Nothing more, nothing less.

Décadent said:
The concept of this topic - "Opeth are great, and should be considered more than a metal band".

This is dumb. End of thread.

once again, no...that is not the concept of this topic. in no way am i comparing them to any other metal bands. instead i'm just trying to get them out of being stuck in the underground metal shelter...because that is keeping a lot of people from hearing some great music.

Crimson Velvet said:
I suddenly liked you a whole lot better.

Opeth is a progressive metal band that relies heavily on clean interludes and changing between clean singing and growls. Nothing more, nothing less.

you are misunderstanding this thread also. i'm not arguing against the label that is put on opeth. yes, progressive metal is what i would consider opeth...i've stated that a few times.

if there were no such thing as genres, and all different kinds of music were considered equal in everyone's mind...i think opeth and tons of other kinds of underground music that is considered too "extreme" would be much more widely appreciated....i just think opeth would be more accessable.