What do you think the future holds for Opeth?

Mike writes a song and composes music to acompany it that is so mind-bendingly brilliant, the song storms up the download charts and gets them to top the www charts...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/6346507.stm

With the proceeds of this utter masterpiece he assembles a state of the art analogue recording facility, forms his own record label, buys a lear jet and a jumbo jet to transport his bands newly aquired PA system and tours the world at his leasure...

I had a dream, sorry folks, scary huh?

Got a gig to go to today...

Laters.

:)

i think mike will write 2 or 3 more opeth albums, then either going solo or taking a longer pause... then perhaps going solo or doing a comeback with opeth for 2 more albums... i don't know :)

I think Opeth will write a song that is actually capable of raising the dead, then they will premier it live to much rejoice amongst their fans, resulting in a worldwide apocalypse and destruction of all civilization. The world would be overtaken by gr1m flesh eating zombies and all major religions would fall, only Opeth songs would play on the radio, and all emo kids will be the first to be eaten... also Bloodbath will reform, and release the soundtrack to the apocalypse...with Mike on vocals of course :zombie:

Opeth isn't going to break up for 5-10 years at least, barring any Cliff Burton-type accidents (god forbid).

Honestly I'm not sure where they will go, if anywhere, content-wise. Many will probably disagree with me, but from Still Life on I think they've largely stopped evolving or changing in any real substantive way. The first four albums - Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life - are all quite different from one another and you can see both the change and the continuity in each.

To me, there was very little if any evolution of their sound on Blackwater Park, Damnation/Deliverance, and the Grand Conjuration, with the possible exception of the interesting rhythm part in "Wreath" off of Deliverance. What I mean specifically is this:

- after the departure of their bassist DeFarfella the interesting bass work (see Orchid and Morningrise) disappeared. Then again, the song styles changed a lot with MAYH and there wasn't as much room for the same kind of bass stuff.

- from Still Life onward Opeth adopted traditional song structures: chorus, bridge, etc. This I think has been a big reason why their last four albums sound a lot alike to one another. Up until Still Life, every melodic line and amazing riff was heard ONCE, which at first for me was frustrating but I came to appreciate it later on as I realized how hard it must be to write great songs that don't repeat.

- many of the albums and songs have the same mood/feeling. If you listen to Morninrise and Orchid, many of the songs have a bright, almost upbeat and youthful quality to them which made the music quite a bit more dynamic than it is now.

So I guess I don't know what Opeth will bring us in the future. I hope they re-integrate some of the elements from their first few releases into their new stuff or incorporate things that I can't really imagine. I understand that Opeth has moved on quite a bit and grown a lot as musicians since their first couple albums but I do think there are elements in their older, less mature work that would help them create better music today.

well, in the GR documentary, mike did say he was all about music, and if Opeth wasnt around, he would def be making music some place or some other way.

i think opeth will be around for along time, but as someone said before, they are getting older. on that note, i dont think you will be seeing too many more "19 month tours"...

they will still make badass albums, and no one knows whats going to be in them, because they influenced by so many things and its just opeth.

there, ive said my piece.

Opeth isn't going to break up for 5-10 years at least, barring any Cliff Burton-type accidents (god forbid).

Honestly I'm not sure where they will go, if anywhere, content-wise. Many will probably disagree with me, but from Still Life on I think they've largely stopped evolving or changing in any real substantive way. The first four albums - Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life - are all quite different from one another and you can see both the change and the continuity in each.

To me, there was very little if any evolution of their sound on Blackwater Park, Damnation/Deliverance, and the Grand Conjuration, with the possible exception of the interesting rhythm part in "Wreath" off of Deliverance. What I mean specifically is this:

- after the departure of their bassist DeFarfella the interesting bass work (see Orchid and Morningrise) disappeared. Then again, the song styles changed a lot with MAYH and there wasn't as much room for the same kind of bass stuff.

- from Still Life onward Opeth adopted traditional song structures: chorus, bridge, etc. This I think has been a big reason why their last four albums sound a lot alike to one another. Up until Still Life, every melodic line and amazing riff was heard ONCE, which at first for me was frustrating but I came to appreciate it later on as I realized how hard it must be to write great songs that don't repeat.

- many of the albums and songs have the same mood/feeling. If you listen to Morninrise and Orchid, many of the songs have a bright, almost upbeat and youthful quality to them which made the music quite a bit more dynamic than it is now.

So I guess I don't know what Opeth will bring us in the future. I hope they re-integrate some of the elements from their first few releases into their new stuff or incorporate things that I can't really imagine. I understand that Opeth has moved on quite a bit and grown a lot as musicians since their first couple albums but I do think there are elements in their older, less mature work that would help them create better music today.

Ok you have a point that the first 4 or at least 3 albums sound different from one another but I really think they way they've gone with the last 5 or 6 albums is still better than the first 2. Sure it takes alot of skill to write a song that doesnt repeat parts, but IMO writing songs like they do now just makes more sense. Musicians have been doing this for centuries and you know why? Because it sounds good. In classical music there was the recapitulation(sp?) and nowadays its chorus, verse, etc. Sure alot of bands do it, but Opeth does it extremely well.

Opeth will do an album with britney spears, this time with "I AM THE ANTICHRIST" lyrics, and they'll become a death-pop band, with the antichrist of doom(britney spears)

Then they'll admit their endorsment to pringles, and every gig will open with their new song "Attonted chips for my beholder", and they'll cover "hit me baby one more time".

(NOT)

I can't say what I think they're gonna do, I can say what I wouldn't want them to.

I wouldn't like them to go crazy with keyboard parts, I wouldn't want their songs to become keyboard based. Beside that, let them write some damn good music! (Another album with steven wilson producing would be awesome)

more fame, more fans, more money (for melinda to have a great future), regular tours around the world, more acknowledgement for their brilliance.
and hopefully 20 years from now: a MTV reallife soap with Mike and his family! no, just kidding....

I can see opeth still playing and releasing albums many many years from now and for the future of the vocals i can see mike eventually moving away from the growls but im not saying anytime soon.

Only time will tell.

What I really want to see is if Mendez can be as great as Defarfalla was. In other words, having the bass play as a lead instrument once again would be rather nice :)