What Opeth songs do you think are better on the album than live?

KennonKun

Aug 16, 2003
PA, USA
Visit site
Personally, I like hearing Bleak on the album better than I do on any of the bootlegs I have. That could just be because I haven't been there when they played it live.

I don't think they can capture the true feel of songs like Harvest live. Mainly because I don't think they've ever played it with acoustic guitars. However, it does say here that they played it once on the D2 tour, and I imagine they used acoustic guitars because they could. Plus, unless Per or whoever was there, there wouldn't be anyone to complete the beautiful vocal harmonies on the album.

So... What do you guys think?

Basically anything that has an acoustic guitar on the album is better on the album, since live they just use clean electrics.

Of course they still are the best live band I've ever seen.

KennonKun said:
Personally, I like hearing Bleak on the album better than I do on any of the bootlegs I have. That could just be because I haven't been there when they played it live.

I don't think they can capture the true feel of songs like Harvest live. Mainly because I don't think they've ever played it with acoustic guitars. However, it does say here that they played it once on the D2 tour, and I imagine they used acoustic guitars because they could. Plus, unless Per or whoever was there, there wouldn't be anyone to complete the beautiful vocal harmonies on the album.

So... What do you guys think?
I thought the same about Bleak before but I downloaded a bootleg of it from a show on 2003-10-28 and it sounded great. Per was there and he helped a lot with adding keyboards and vocals. Before the jazzy solo in the middle of the song he does a little keyboard thing that's awesome and at the end when it goes "...left of Meeeeeeeee" where Mikael usually just cuts off "Me" Per sings it while Mikael growls away....good stuff.

anything by them live is better than on record.. holy shit.. it jsut an experience of its own to see em live.

their stuff is better live if you are actually there. seeing it on a bootleg isn't all that great of an experience...but being there is a miracle. i think that black water park was an amazing experience live....maybe because it was towards the end of the show...but for me, that song was probably the highlight of the night....i also think that mikael's clean vocals sound 10394x better live than on record. overall, his vocs get better each time i hear him (live or on record)....amazing.....

They played Harvest live on the 5th of October here in Holland. It was the last song of the evening and it was awesome. Per was there of course and did great background vocals. They played it on clean electrics though but it was amazing. It's also on the DVD.

But everything is better live because you see them play the songs and how much feeling they give to them, you just can't see that on the album.

Kevin
http://opeth.fqelite.com

I think their Damnation stuff would have been alot better had they actually acheived the guitar tone they used on the album. ex.- the TV4 videos; I think those are the best "live" recordings i have heard of them. I think Forest of October sounds about 5 times better live than on the album also.. the bootlegmania video is sweet. I agree with alot of you that bleak really doesnt hold the power it does on the album.. maybe it is better if you are actually there, but just listening to what parts they choose to play dictates that to me.

Songs like Godhead's Lament and The Drapery Falls where they break into an acoustic part are better on the albums obviously because they just play them clean on the electric live. It still slays, but its just not the same.

Dude, of course you're going to like the album bleak better than a bootleg.

Hello? Bootlegs are recorded by a camcorder ect. so the sound quality is horrible and out of tune.

Oh btw, blackwater park was better live than on record in Houston. Holyshit, the vocals weren't layered of course but he did it sooooooo deep it felt like the album quality growls but better.

yea but compare the decent bootlegs with the dvd... of course their sound isnt squashed out on the dvd because of how it was recorded, but the tone is what mainly concerns me more than anything. Oh, and balance. I cant stand when the guitars arent loud enough...

At the houston show Mikael's guitar wasn't loud enough.

I think that crew(big guy wituh ponytail) needs to fucking spend more time fixing the guitars.

Moonspell had a better balance between drums/guitar/bass than Opeth.

You couldn't hear any solos and it sucked ass.

Mike may not be able to layer his vocals on DOTF like on the album, but I love how they use the wah effect. You know, the part that's done with a 12 string acoustic on the album, that they make all wah sounding live? I love that.

The thing about bootlegs, as far as amateur ones are concerned, is that good videos keep a steady sound, but it sounds out of tune. With audio bootlegs, they make everything sound in tune, but too low, and it fluctuates all the time, like two people take turns smothering each of the two microphones with pillows. Of course, I only own three Opeth audio bootlegs, so...

I have this video from TV where Opeth is on some Swedish talk-show performing.

It has great audio, it's right off of TV, if you want it tell me