What do you think the future holds for Opeth?

An orchestra wouldn't be so bad...maybe not a full one, but I could see something there.

I would like to see Mendez pop out a bass solo or two, some more Per.

I certainly would not be against another Damnation-esque record...and as I have said before, and instrumental EP would be great.

Opeth is in a wonderful position right now - they have the fan base, and the music to back it up. They could break up and leave a great legacy behind, they could continue and rock all of our worlds. While Jinn may not agree, I still think Mike's growl is in top form and the song writing can get a lot more complex if they choose it to be.

I only hope one thing for the future of Opeth: they continue to enjoy themselves. As long as they're having a good time in the band, I doubt anything but the best will come out.

Mike has a new blog entry at myspace.com/mikaelakerfeldt...

9 Months of Non-stop death....metal!

OK, just a brief note to say thanks to everyone that came and saw us during the "Ghost reveries" world tour 05/06. 19 Months of touring pretty much. We're gonna post all the dates on opeth.com soon and it will loook insane! What the hell are we doing?

Anyways, I have enjoyed myself quite a lot even though I've been away from my family. Now I'll have a lot of down time to make it up to them. I will also practise my playing like an idiot and try to write material for more than one record. Studio is set up and running. Just gotta finish "Scarface" for the PS2 and then I'm on it!

Thanks once again to all of you for your support!

Best (really!) regards
Mike

If Opeth just be them self like they are no. and have fun with them self and in the group, only doing thing 'cause they enjoyes it not 'cause they think that is what people espect of them i guess they will hung around a long time, its amazing who their music is and i hope they always will trust in them self.. We do love them<3 Don't we;) So it they be them self, and belive in them selv they will rock on a loong loong time:D

I hope they just continue doing what they've been doing in the past..a progressive mix of heavy and softer playing styles with the guitar parts and Mikael's singing in the forefront. Their strongs points, IMO, are the unique and intracit finger picked melodies they come up with and the useage of clean electric guitars that have great tone and the wild intervals they use alot in both the clean and distorted guitar parts and of course the great drumming. One slight weakness is their distorted rhythm guitar tone could be a little better at times...sometimes it comes through a little thin sounding lacking some harmonic complexity.
Overall though, they don't need to change much of anything..as they are writting some of the best songs out there right now. GR, Damnation, and BWP are their best albums, IMO, and they're their newest ones so there appears to be no end to their ability to write good stuff and it just keeps getting better and better!!! As long as they keep tweaking and refining their current tunesmithing I don't see how they can go wrong on the next one.

well, what he said below, of course ;-)

all i care about is another killer album and another tour!!!

:headbang:

I see

Sold out Stadium tours all over the world.

Akerfeldt becomes the new Messiah stealing all magazine covers from Bono, Jaggers and Britney Spears combined.

10 minutes songs become the new hip rock song format thanx to Opeth

Opeth on heavy rotation on MTV 24/7

An Airbus with Opeth logo on it.

Opeth is the first band to hit the 100 million downloads on Itunes.

Opeth launch the new fashion : Hellhammer, Bathory, Celtic Frost and Venom t Shirts

Metallica, Iron Maiden and Ozzy beg Opeth to open for them on their sold out tour, Akerfledt denies request and get Camel, Morbid Angel and Whitesnake to open for them.

Gibson and Fender go bankrupt, it is all about PRS now in the guitar world.

Martin Lopez comes back to the fold : the band goes on 15 minutes Jazz Rock improv live

Green Day vocalist kills himself and realizes the hard truth on his suicide note : my band sucks, goodbye to all

Pink Floyd agrees to reunite only if the show is played on the Dark Side of The Moon : Opeth and Pink Floyd are the first performers on the moon using Virgin Space Airlines

The New Brintey Spears album contains growls

The word Punk is removed from dictionnaries all over the world

Akerfeldt becomes a God in Asia and his name means fertility over there.
All asian women want Akerfledt offspring.

Thanks to Opeth, Sweden becomes the most popular conutry on Earth, the Internet has now 5 billion pages in Sweden against two in English

I see

Sold out Stadium tours all over the world.

Akerfeldt becomes the new Messiah stealing all magazine covers from Bono, Jaggers and Britney Spears combined.

10 minutes songs become the new hip rock song format thanx to Opeth

Opeth on heavy rotation on MTV 24/7

An Airbus with Opeth logo on it.

Opeth is the first band to hit the 100 million downloads on Itunes.

Opeth launch the new fashion : Hellhammer, Bathory, Celtic Frost and Venom t Shirts

Metallica, Iron Maiden and Ozzy beg Opeth to open for them on their sold out tour, Akerfledt denies request and get Camel, Morbid Angel and Whitesnake to open for them.

Gibson and Fender go bankrupt, it is all about PRS now in the guitar world.

Martin Lopez comes back to the fold : the band goes on 15 minutes Jazz Rock improv live

Pink Floyd agrees to reunite only if the show is played on the Dark Side of The Moon : Opeth and Pink Floyd are the first performers on the moon using Virgin Space Airlines

The New Brintey Spears album contains growls

Akerfeldt becomes a God in Asia and his name means fertility over there.
All asian women want Akerfledt offspring.

Thanks to Opeth, Sweden becomes the most popular conutry on Earth, the Internet has now 5 billion pages in Sweden against two in English

Its very possible.

I hope mendez doesn't play any solo... is a too basic bassist... just tonics and 5ths of the chords... very boring

it's hard to guess what they'll do in the future cause they're Opeth :) and i think mendez's style is not just about tonics. he is a very fertile musician like all the other band members.. looking forward the new album!

no i didn't mean it of course.. i wanted to say that he is very talented but i'm from Turkey and can't speak english well :) and i think i have a stupid dictionary:):):)