How Long Do You Think Opeth Will Be?

More. Definitely.
It's really a question of probability. They just recently got a new member.
To me, it's like they just started a new chapter and that it won't end too soon.
Also, considering how much the members like music..

Lopez would probably still play when he's 80 years old... if he could. I guess it's the mentality?!

Sadly, I think their albums will keep getting shittier and shittier the way they sort of have been with Deliverance (still a great release, but too bland compared to previous albums), and will just kind of start doing some stupid shit like playing a different un-innovative style of music, like the way Metallica went Nu-metal with St. Anger. Maybe Opeth will go hardcore or something, and play shitty short songs.

i think opeth will start incorporating the influences of mortiis and the berzerker into their song structures. eventually 4 or 5 albums down the road they will finally do a cover of "sweet home alabama" with their new second singer (as in mike is still there) king diamond!!!

who would have guessed it? :err:

:tickled:

These things are so unpredictable. I recall another favourite band of mine at one point was soaring high, had just released a new album that redefined their sound and they felt that they had started fresh. What happens 2 months later? 'We apologize to the fans, and a big thank you goes out... we are breaking up yadiyadiyada'.

Same thing can happen with Opeth at any time. I mean it helps that they've known each other for so long, but things with bands can get rocky in an instant. The fact that they just recruited a new member is no solace for me, especially if the albums keep going down the direction of Deliverance.

It just depends how much more of the life the guys can take before they want to call it quits. I mean Peter is getting married isn't he? And Mike is recently married... at some point they might want to settle down and have kids or something. You just can't do that shit on the road.

I Am Your End said:
Two or three sounds logical.

Commander Spock, :D , I hope you're wrong with this one. I'd like them to last longer than that especially since I just got into them.

I don't know, I like Deliverance alot. I really don't see that album as a sign of them going downhill like others have said. That album along with Blackwater Park are my faves, as of now that is. (I'm not counting Damnation because I'm only referring to the death metal.) I guess the people who have been fans from the start see it differently because of how they got into them or maybe it's just personal preference, who knows.

Regarding family, there are plenty musicians who are married with kids that keep going. Ahh, I like to think positive, can't help it.

Two or Three seems about right to me. Then again this is wrong. Are you guys hoping for the death of the band? Also, to me Deliverance is really nothing short of what everyone expected with a "heavy" album. Or do all of the people that are against it prefer the unprofessional piece-togethers such as BRI? Face it, things change - and in terms of Opeth, things often change for the better.
:Smug:

RavenousDaemon said:
Face it, things change - and in terms of Opeth, things often change for the better.
:Smug:

I totally agree. From what I've heard so far, Opeth got better from one album to the next.

Moonlapse said:
At what point did this turn into a discussion about album favouritism?

But it's not. I mentioned a couple faves because a few people made a negative comment about Deliverance and how it can be their downfall if they were to continue like this in the future. In other words, they are revolving their answer to the original question around Deliverance. One of them from another member was this...

"It seems to me that since Deliverance, Opeth has gone downhill a tad with their music"

I disagree with that because I find that they got better with each album they made and I pointed that out by giving my "opinion" on what my fave albums are.

Seems like alot of people do not like that album as much as the previous ones and that they might think that Opeth will go downhill if they don't go back to the MAYH/Still Life type albums. I am only basing this on what I am actually reading here in this forum.

Opeth will be there as long as they feel they can say something in music, feel inspired and have the strength and commitment to produce albums really worth listening to. To some extent, all this will depend somehow on their next release. Now that they're taking their time, I strongly hope they put out better material than the one in the later albums. They can be on the road for one more album, ten or fifteen.

The reason 'Deliverance' was used is because it isn't a stepping stone towards a higher plateu, rather a stripping of the finer points of their music and projection of the style with which they have been pidgeonholed. Normally when a band makes a move like this, it doesn't bode well for their future. Of course you have to cut slack to the fact that they had some very intense recording conditions.

So this is why alot of the fans are really holding their breath for the next album, as it will undoubtably be the defining moment for Opeth's future. Whether they will go the Deliverance route and thrive off the labels they're given as a band and work off those to create formulaic music (in their own convoluted way), or whether they will keep going the distance and working with new things, aspiring to cover yet another area of music.

So it's not so much whether one likes or dislikes Deliverance, it's more about what its existence means to the future of the band.

Dudes, just take a look at what we know about the new album thus far.

I'm expecting a big change.

It's pretty obvious that those who say ''3 more albums and then they'll all die'' are the ones that still masturbate to the early albums more than to the newer ones.

Try to be rational for once.

What could possibly make them break up anyway?

Some family things. Oh well. They could as well just take a break for a few years and start again. But I even doubt that.

They are too passionate players to quit anytime soon.

Moonlapse I'm touched.... NO I'm not! Try to steer away from such advanced words, some people don't know what they mean and they just make people angry. Anyway, you're right about the bad recording conditions. However I still say the overall sound (or whatever you want to call it?) came out much better than the old albums, and that is proof that Opeth are only improving. As such, we can really only expect great things from their next release.

And to Longinus- There are WAY more things than family that can alter the continuity of a band. Say, perhaps one died? Or maybe a few members just get up and leave he band, which could be stemming from any number of things, like one murders the other over a cookie, or they disagree on where Mike is taking the style of the band next. Of course there are many more things, but I don't need to waste my time listing all of the possibilities. Ah and passion about their music can only go so far.... so that really isn't much of an excuse.

I don't know, I like Deliverance alot. I really don't see that album as a sign of them going downhill like others have said.

I too like Deliverance (my first metal album), but my tastes have changed since I bought it last year making it sort of at the bottom of my list. I like it; it's fast and heavy enough for me and has the dark atmosphere I like, but the repetition is what drags the whole album down in my book.

It's pretty obvious that those who say ''3 more albums and then they'll all die'' are the ones that still masturbate to the early albums more than to the newer ones.

What's wrong with their older material? I'm pretty sure Orchid and Morningrise did more for me than Deliverance and Damnation ever did.

In any case, I'll stick with Opeth and see what direction they'll take with their music. I am looking forward to the new album, and even if it isn't as good as I'm expecting it to be, it still beats the shit out of what I used to listen to.

Say, perhaps one died?

Then I'd say they'd continue somehow. Or at least one member of Opeth.
But yeah, I guess it'd kill the supergroup that is Opeth. None of them is replacable. I should have considered that.

Or maybe a few members just get up and leave he band,

They love Opeth too much for that, I'd say.

or they disagree on where Mike is taking the style of the band next.

I thought they always want to compromise?!!

What's wrong with their older material? I'm pretty sure Orchid and Morningrise did more for me than Deliverance and Damnation ever did.

There's nothing wrong with it.
I also think Damnation is the only tidbit generic album of theirs. But to be honest, that was to be expected.
But, considering Deliverance was recorded at the same time Damnation was recorded, we could compare them.
And Deliverance isn't generic.
Deliverance (the song) is one of Opeth's musical peaks. Deliverance is a great album, regardless of whether you like it or not. It's no crap, get over it.

There's absolutely no evidence that Opeth went downhill with the last two albums just because their taste is different from yours.
And as af fan of the band, I'd always hope for lots of more albums and not talk BS about how they run out of ideas or whatever. and that it'd be better if they stopped soon. Gotta hate the Orchid & Morningrise Fascists.

It's not a matter of taste; It's quite evident that Opeth have standardised their own song structures to the point where its a novelty in Deliverance. You can't deny it, it IS present in the music and VERY audible to even the most casual of listeners. On Deliverance they dragged their songs out, out of necessity. I'm quite sure that was done actively, but I believe it's due the immense stress and time restrictions that the band were faced with.

I have very high hopes for the coming album, as going by what Mike has said so far, it's shaping up to be something epic. If Opeth can do it again and add something new to the music, give us a breath of fresh air like MAYH did after Morningrise, then I'll be a happy man.

This will be the last Opeth record. Use your brains! Have you guys ever thought about the cover Opeth wants? They want a cover with their ugly faces on! Look at all the other covers...They are awesome and very beautiful. And now they want a cover with their faces on....Its like their saying, "Hey, we are done!"

But using the cover to tell that instead of words. I know what Iam talking about.