what do you think the next Opeth album will sound like?

i hope that it will be extremely dark, and reminiscent, but not a copy of, still life.

i want a lot of ppl to get into opeth because of the new album just so we who have been fans for years can go "new album sucks, RR ruined opeth", "not the same without peter and lopez", " too much shredding", "they've sold out", "why do they wear masks now??".

should be fun!!

I hope that they continue with the death metal styles they've kept over the years but I think they will keep getting more progessive as they go along. But who knows, now they have Fredrick on board it could be full out death metal which would truly kick ass.

"I'm writing and it's going quite well. I have around a dozen of song ideas. Some are downright evil sounding....a few Bathory (evil era 83-87) parts, some tech-death ones, some overblown prog ballad ones, one Nick Drake thing, one complete prog thing with triple harmony vocals, one evocative middle eastern psychedelic metal arrangement with falsetto vocals (not as wimpy sounding as you might think), one 70´s Scorpions sounding bit (like "Living and dying" type of stuff), one's totally murky forest-ish sounding dark prog-rock with loud vocals that shifts between major and minor, one tedious ugly/pretty little hobbit sounding symf part with moogs over a classical guitar, some soundtrack-ish sounding ones etc..."

Sounds to me like this album is going to have some serious potential to kick some serious ass. :headbang:

Fuck yeah. This sounds like an excellent mix of stuff to me.

I grow more and more eager to hear the album the more I hear about it. Release it already!

"Some are downright evil sounding....a few Bathory (evil era 83-87) parts, some tech-death ones,...."

That part sounds great!!!:headbang:

I hope that they continue with the death metal styles they've kept over the years but I think they will keep getting more progessive as they go along. But who knows, now they have Fredrick on board it could be full out death metal which would truly kick ass.

lol, nice avatar:lol:

i hope it sounds hardcore like Trivium cuz Trivium is so hardcore and they do this guitar thing like Metallica and Metallica's album St.Anger is the most hardcore thing ever. and i hope they dont do anymore of that screaming stuff cause its scary they'd be more popular if they werent scary devil worshippers

Well, judging from who Mike's brought into the band as his supporting cast, I think this next album will be much less "proggy" and much more metal. Thats hard for me to say becuase Ive always thought the prog influence is what seperates Opeth from most other extreme metal bands but I cant really see the guitarst from arch enemy really wanting to play anything other than straight metal. If Mike totally dictates the direction of the album the prog will still be there, but I think this album will be much more heavy overall. No more "Isolation Years" or "Atonements'." I hope Im wrong.

i hope it sounds hardcore like Trivium cuz Trivium is so hardcore and they do this guitar thing like Metallica and Metallica's album St.Anger is the most hardcore thing ever. and i hope they dont do anymore of that screaming stuff cause its scary they'd be more popular if they werent scary devil worshippers

thats hella true bro hell yea \m/

GUYZ I HOEP THAT THE NEW OPETH ALBUM IS GOOD AND I HOPE ITS BETTER THAN GHOST REVERIES AND I HOPE THAT MARITXN AXENTRO IS A GOOD DRUMMER AND I HOPE THAT THAT THE NEW GUITRAIST CAN FILL PETERS SHOES MAY HE REST IN PEAEC WITH MARTON I JUST HOPE THAT ITS PROGERISVIVE NAD ALSO HEAVY ROCK ON OPETH

Well, judging from who Mike's brought into the band as his supporting cast, I think this next album will be much less "proggy" and much more metal. Thats hard for me to say becuase Ive always thought the prog influence is what seperates Opeth from most other extreme metal bands but I cant really see the guitarst from arch enemy really wanting to play anything other than straight metal. If Mike totally dictates the direction of the album the prog will still be there, but I think this album will be much more heavy overall. No more "Isolation Years" or "Atonements'." I hope Im wrong.

Theres no doubt this album is going to be heavy, but I think Mike ultimately will get the final say on what is done. Granted both new members have uber heavy backgrounds, they may also look at it as a new way to do something comepletely different and challenge in a whole new way.