Do you think any Opeth band member is the best at what they do?

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
This is obviously a subjective question, and limited to the musicians you know of.

I think Martin Lopez (hoping he gets better) is the best metal drummer. I can't think of any other drummer that has the touch and feel that he does.

I think Mikael has the best metal vocals. I consider him the best at mixing various styles (death & clean) and doing both well.

I can't say that Opeth has the best bass or guitar players. I'm taking nothing away from the individual talent in these areas. I've heard some pretty phenominal bass and guitar work by other bands, so it's difficult for me to say anybody is the best at their craft in these areas.

I don't think in the relatively dull terms of 'best and worst' undoubtably they're not shitty musicians at all but it's impossible for me to clarify whos best at an instrument, it's taste, and taste is differentiated.

MLo- personal favorite drummer
Bass Player- personal favorite bass player
Jesus Akerfeldt- favorite growler, he's the best at combining the clean vocals and growls, IMO.
Kiko Lindgren- Plays some of my favorite solos i've ever heard.

So in a way, yes, and in some other way, no, they are not the best.

Well... Martin Lopez is probably my favourite drummer for all of his little subtleties and nuances. Whether or not he's actually the best is debatable i suppose. I guess it depends what you're looking for. I mean, I'm big into drums (not that I play them), and I'm very fond of Gene Hoglan, Hellhammer, Joey Jordison and David Gray (off the top of my head, there are many others). All of these are perhaps more intense than Lopez... but he owns them all for creative playing.

I used to think Mendez was the best bassist, but now I don't. He's awesome, but I think he isn't given enough chance to shine.

Per is far from the best keyboard player. Steiner Sverd from Arcturus and that guy out of Children of Bodom slay him.

Mikael isn't technically the best guitarist, but he is my personal favourite. He has a real sensibility in his solo's. Peter is not as good He makes his instrument sing. Also, I think he is probably the best vocalist. In fact, I thnk he's the best overall musician in terms of creativity and genius. Not the best lyricist.

But, to me, what's most important is that Opeth are by far the best overall unit. No other band comes as close to sheer perfection. Opeth are the best at what they do, so what does it matter if individually they aren't all the best at their instrument?

Liquid Diamonds said:
But, to me, what's most important is that Opeth are by far the best overall unit. No other band comes as close to sheer perfection. Opeth are the best at what they do, so what does it matter if individually they aren't all the best at their instrument?

Since I also think Opeth, as a band, are by the the best band in any genre, I was curious as to what people feel about the individual parts of the whole. Of course it doesn't matter, but does every question asked have to matter? And I also stated this question is subjective.

In addition, my question wasn't really asking about who a personal favorite is, but more of being technically the best at their craft. I don't necessarily believe the technical best are my favorites. For instance, I believe Josh Groban is the best overall male vocalist in music today (not taking into account genres), but he certainly isn't my favorite. I truly believe Martin Lopez IS the best drummer. Some may be more powerful, some may play faster, but overall Martin Lopez brings something to the drums that no other musician I know does.

I think Mike is the best metal vocalist period. His growl is unhuman but his clean singing voice is angelic. He has the best of both worlds. And he has, as someone has said, a real sensibility in his soloing that, even if he isnt technically the best, carries a feel that is matched by few.

I think Mendez has some really kool subtle bass fills and bass parts that are really kool to hear that you dont hear a lot from other bass players.

I have to disagree with everyone about Lopez. He's definitely one of my favorite drummers but I prefer David Husvik from Extol. He, like M-Lo, also has really good feel in his playing as well and can play some technical shiz (just listen to Synergy). I just find his playing a lot more busy and enjoyable to listen to. But M-Lo is close behind.

As far as progressive death metal goes, yes Opeth are my favorite band. Best? I don't know. I band members form a very cohesive whole IMO. Technically, many bands outclass Opeth's members though.

Sadguru said:
As far as progressive death metal goes, yes Opeth are my favorite band. Best? I don't know.
K, obviously you didnt even read the title of this thread. we're not comparing Opeth to any other band, we're comparing the band members.

and if Opeth isn't your favorite band in prog death metal, wtf?! just wtf. thats it. wtf.

blimey said:
K, obviously you didnt even read the title of this thread. we're not comparing Opeth to any other band, we're comparing the band members.
Yeah, I modified my post.

and if Opeth isn't your favorite band in prog death metal, wtf?! just wtf. thats it. wtf.
:err: There's many brilliant progressive death metal bands man: Peccatum, Orphaned Land, Novembers Doom, Moonspell, The Provenance, Frantic Bleep and so on...

Sadguru said:
Yeah, I modified my post.

:err: There's many brilliant progressive death metal bands man: Peccatum, Orphaned Land, Novembers Doom, Moonspell, The Provenance, Frantic Bleep and so on...

Well I've heard Novembers Doom, Moonspell and The Provenance, but, eh... they don't touch Opeth in terms of musicianship.

Sadguru said:
Well, that's your opinion. Many wouldn't agree with you.
I beg to differ. In fact, I know that you're wrong. And in all honesty, no more than 1% of the ppl will agree with you on this forum.