Between These Two Opeth Songs, Which Do You Think Has The Best Lyrical Work?

Which of These Songs Has The Best Lyrical Work?

• Still Day Beneath the Sun

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Isolation Years

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • Other (Has to be an Opeth song, not just sung by Mike)

Votes: 10 16.4%

• Total voters

Ümlaut

The Grand Conjurer
May 6, 2008
Before you say shit thread, at least vote and leave your opinion. I know there will different opinions than just these two songs, but I've heard just about every Opeth song and I think it comes down between these two for the best lyrics.

Of course if you have a different opinion, vote other and say what song you think has the best lyrical work by Opeth.

EDIT: Also, I think Isolation Years has the best lyrical work, but Still Day Beneath the Sun is a very close second, if you ask me.

dood there are teh many zongz with better lirik
i dont really like isolation lyrics, who the fuck is rosemary?

Opeths' lyrics have really fallen off, starting on ghost reveries. I never liked isolation years, as it sounds like a crybaby song. Still Day, while reflecting on the death of a relative, seems to still hold prowess and unfolds great, theres no elongated notes like "ROOOOOOOSEMAAAAAAARYSSSSSS" I can't stand that. Patterns II and Still Day are top tier Opeth clean vocal songs.

Isolation Years is possibly Opeths most beautiful and heart wrenching song.

I agree.

Hedon does bring up a good point with his lame posting, though.

Just who is Rose Mary/Rosemary/Rosemarie?

(Anyone know the right spelling for that name, like official booklet?)

its a fictional character. are you completely retarded?

edit: goes to umlaut, not to dabe

Opeths' lyrics have really fallen off, starting on ghost reveries. I never liked isolation years, as it sounds like a crybaby song. Still Day, while reflecting on the death of a relative, seems to still hold prowess and unfolds great, theres no elongated notes like "ROOOOOOOSEMAAAAAAARYSSSSSS" I can't stand that. Patterns II and Still Day are top tier Opeth clean vocal songs.

I agree with your last sentence but otherwise...

Fail.

Anyway, the question concerns lyrics, not vocal phrasing.

its a fictional character. are you completely retarded?

Obviously it's a fictional character.

The song still leaves me wondering who Rosemary is, in the context of the lyrics.

If you couldn't grasp that from my previous post, then maybe you're the retarded one.

I didn't want to vote for 'other Opeth song', since that's too broad

That's what Other is there for, you can specify which song you chose in your reply after voting other.

Ümlaut;7337779 said:
That's what Other is there for, you can specify which song you chose in your reply after voting other.

I guess I should specify why I said that. When I said 'too broad', it's because my choice would have been 'The Entire "My Arms, Your Hearse" Album', which isn't a song. =P And 'Isolation Years' really is one of my all-time favorite lyrics.

My favourite lyrics are from the whole of the Still Life record tbh. Though I voted for Isolation Years..it's such a tragic, beautiful song, and the lyrics are brilliant, better than Still Day Beneath The Sun imo.