Do you consider the first two Opeth albums Gothenburg?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
You know because of the twin guitar work and stuff. Do you think they could be categorised into the Gothenburg movement a la earlier In Flames and Dark Tranquillity?

Personally, while I can see why some regard Orchid and Morningrise different from everything else Opeth have done, I wouldn't quite say these albums are in line with stuff by At The Gates and whatnot. Why not? Simply because the atmosphere sustained on these discs, especially on Morningrise, is a lot more oppressive and darker than anything the Gothenburg scene has created.

What do you guys think?

No, I wouldn't call it Göteborg. To me, that's the first couple of In Flmaes, Dark Tranquility and At the Gates, mainly. Basically, a mix of Heavy Metal like Maiden, and Death Metal.
Opeth doesn't quite fit in there.

By the way, speaking of old Opeth, does anyone know/like the first Ulver : Bergtatt?
I just love the atmosphere and sound of that recording. Very folk-ish, too, but rooted in Black Metal. I wish Ulver were still like that.

Those twin guitar melodies were like older DT, IF and ATG; yeah. Obviously their song structures were not, however. I don't like Morningrise and Orchid much, presumably just because I've listened to tons of shit with similar riffs (although Opeth's riffs mostly owned)

Yeah I like Bergtatt as well. When I first got the album years ago, I wasn't expecting it to remind me of the Morningrise album. I like the subdued style chanting on the album.

I don't consider them Gothenburg style stictly. They're just slightly closer to that sound than the other albums.

They're more like standard melodeath, but not that close.

Also, on Bergtatt: I'd really like to get that album, but it'll be hard to find... Ulver's great.

Those twin guitar melodies were like older DT, IF and ATG; yeah.

From a guitarist's point of view, you can't compare Opeth's older twin-guitar melodies with IF's or other Göteborg bands'. The latter take a melody and double it a 3rd or 4th or 5th higher or lower, whereas Opeth's twin-guitar style more often than not featured 2 independent meoldies written in the same key so to share a certain harmony. But the harmonic intervals and even rhythmic patterns were constantly changing and were never synchronized.

This fact alone sets them apart from Göteborg stuff...

You can hear scant traces of Gothenburg influence (?) in Orchid, but it couldn't be classified as such.

By the way, speaking of old Opeth, does anyone know/like the first Ulver : Bergtatt?
I just love the atmosphere and sound of that recording. Very folk-ish, too, but rooted in Black Metal. I wish Ulver were still like that.

Pfft, Ulver are still awesome. Nothing beats Nattens Madrigal though, but I'm glad they evolved.

Pfft, Ulver are still awesome. Nothing beats Nattens Madrigal though, but I'm glad they evolved.

I slightly prefer Bergtatt over Nattens Madrigal, but it really depends on my mood. NM is the dirtiest, sickest, most disgusting album I've ever heard, but if anybody can not feel elation at that main riff in Wolf and Fear, they have a problem.
I'm also glad they've evolved. I really enjoy Themes From... etc, and I'm getting into the new one as well.

As for the question in this thread, absolutely not. Anyone who can compare Orchid to At The Gates probably doesn't feel elation at that main riff in Wolf and Fear.

no.

The songs are way too long. Have too many riffs and almost never have verse/choruses or any real strict sections.
and there isn't overuse of that 0 to 8 (e to c in standard tuning) riff structure thats all over In Flames or AtG - Slaughter/Terminal.

while older opeth had harmonies like alot of gothenburg stuff, it was usually counterpoint and non-stereotypical of the genre.