My Arms, Your Hearse vs Still Life: which concept do you prefer?

Which concept do you prefer?

• My Arms, Your Hearse

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • Still Life

Votes: 43 44.3%

• Total voters
I like the Still Life concept far better....for all the awesome parts of MAYH, not much really happens. The Still Life story is actually interesting

Besides, im still a little confused about the end of MAYH...so what, he just kinda floats away? Pfffft, talk about a complete lack of closure..

Looking for a Job said:
well with MAYH he wrote the lyrics first, so the music is built around the lyrics, and that can't possibly be a good thing (and clearly it's not)

:lol:

And so I break the tie, and My Arms, Your Hearse it is. If not for the lyrics of this marvelous album, I don't think the songs would give me the chills as much as they currently do. Fuck, it all just blends in together masterfully - some of the greatest lines to ANY album ever exist in MAYH - and the GREATEST moments are in April Ethereal.

This is a CLEAR winner for me, even though yes, I admit Still Life IS incredibly well done. But the fact MAYH is all meld together lyrically and the fact it comes togetehr so beautifully, Still Life just cannot touch it.

Best line on the album; brings chills down my spine every fucking listen (note: imo, Akerfeldt's growling is at its finest in MAYH - and he apparently had a sore throat - maybe that's why. ;))

"The rain was waving goodbye, and when the night came the forest folded its branches around me. Something passed by and I went into a dream. She laughing and weeping at once "take me away!"

- April Ethereal

Alcapoth said:
:lol:

And so I break the tie, and My Arms, Your Hearse it is. If not for the lyrics of this marvelous album, I don't think the songs would give me the chills as much as they currently do. Fuck, it all just blends in together masterfully - some of the greatest lines to ANY album ever exist in MAYH - and the GREATEST moments are in April Ethereal.

This is a CLEAR winner for me, even though yes, I admit Still Life IS incredibly well done. But the fact MAYH is all meld together lyrically and the fact it comes togetehr so beautifully, Still Life just cannot touch it.

Best line on the album; brings chills down my spine every fucking listen (note: imo, Akerfeldt's growling is at its finest in MAYH - and he apparently had a sore throat - maybe that's why. ;))

"The rain was waving goodbye, and when the night came the forest folded its branches around me. Something passed by and I went into a dream. She laughing and weeping at once "take me away!"

- April Ethereal

Akerfeldt's had a sore throat??? aha awesome! And yes, April Ethereal is taking my breath away :worship:

some retards appear to have voted for which album they prefer, not which concept. One guy said 'i like the MAYH story more but i prefer SL album so im voting SL'

What a retard.

Anyway, SL gets it for me. MAYH doesnt really have much of a story, its more of an exploration of his feelings & emotions as he discovers that noone is mourning his death in the year following it. There isnt really a plot.

Ok yeah, I got carried away about the lyrics part that I failed to mention the kick-ass story concept.

But I DID mention how I thought the songs were woven together as one, which IS a fucking brilliant concept on its own. I thought the lyrics brought even a MORE chilling atmosphere to the story concept and just enhanced an already brilliant album. Let's put it this way, as good as the story is, it just wouldn't be as great as it is if not expressed so flawlessly within the lyrical-style. The words and the way Mike used them - no album feels quite like MAYH in opeth's catalogue.

I don't know, overall I just felt the MAYH "ghost story" was such an excellent idea and just appealed to me more than Still Life had. Still Life's story isn't anything close to how great the music on that album is (the wording just didn't draw me in), whereas in MAYH it's 50/50 - the album would not be quite the same without either elements being so well done, both music and concept. And the fact it continues the story directly into the next track - it's flawless in execution i say!

It'd be amazing if Opeth ever create something as striking as this album.

Rensei said:
The story is made out of lyrics.

Im really trying hard not to call you an idiot....something can be written excellently, yet the overarching story/concept can still be poor. The lyrics only come secondary to the story, even though the story is expressed through the lyrics.

Alcapoth was correct though; the way the lyrics were put together is part of the concept. The way that it is just one continuous flow of thought, not even always sung, is a damn good idea. As if time no longer really differentiates in the character's life, that for evermore things are doomed to span out to eternity without rest....

Rensei said:
The story is made out of lyrics.

con·cept
n.
1. A general idea derived or inferred from specific instances or occurrences.
2. Something formed in the mind; a thought or notion.
3. An abstract idea or notion.

The concept is the initial, general story idea. The lyrics are the execution of the concept through the words that Mikael chose to express his thoughts.

The lyrics shouldn't be considered when voting on what your favorite concept is since a concept is a general idea and not the specific details that are expressed through the lyrics. So which is your favorite concept?

1) Ghost

OR

2) Braveheart

It's that simple.

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Im really trying hard not to call you an idiot....something can be written excellently, yet the overarching story/concept can still be poor. The lyrics only come secondary to the story, even though the story is expressed through the lyrics.

Alcapoth was correct though; the way the lyrics were put together is part of the concept. The way that it is just one continuous flow of thought, not even always sung, is a damn good idea. As if time no longer really differentiates in the character's life, that for evermore things are doomed to span out to eternity without rest....

Insults again, it's sad that we have to insult each other to prove our points...

lyric, words, language
the text of a popular song

To build up a story, you obviously need words don't you? Obviously, story is made up by words.

How would you know about the ghost concept of MAYH without the lyrics? You obviously can't.

Rensei said:
Insults again, it's sad that we have to insult each other to prove our points...

lyric, words, language
the text of a popular song

To build up a story, you obviously need words don't you? Obviously, story is made up by words.

How would you know about the ghost concept of MAYH without the lyrics? You obviously can't.

Ok, Exhibit A: Star Wars

I love the concept. A space opera with jedi knights weilding cool light sabers and different factions fighting eachother etc. I love the concept. However, the Star Wars prequels suck because of the execution. The dialogue and acting are horrendous ( think lyrics and music to complete my analogy). Get it? The bad acting and dialogue (lyrics and music) have no effect on me liking the concept of Star Wars. Do you understand the concept of the word concept?

Try to wrap your head around what Jon Snow is saying. The lyrics are a medium of expression, the concept is the item being expressed, they aren't one and the same thing even if they are inextricably interwoven.

Having said that, Still Life is my favourite, musically, and as far as I'm concerned that creates a 'better' album in my mind, hence why I favour SL over MAYH. But I think MAYH has a more interesting concept that's slightly better executed (the 4 seasons, the linking and the inevitable loop back to the beginning). I voted MAYH.

Im sorry if you feel insulted, but its pretty frustrating when someone refuses to understand basic english.

Look at what Jon Snow wrote. The concept is the ideas, story or theme. That is not difficult to understand.

You asked which concept we prefer. Not which has better lyrics. The lyrics only function to explain the concept; they are not the concept themselves.