My Arms, Your Hearse vs Still Life: which concept do you prefer?

Which concept do you prefer?

• My Arms, Your Hearse

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • Still Life

Votes: 43 44.3%

• Total voters

Sadguru

In my dream...
Jan 11, 2004
Canada, Québec
Sorry for you guys who hate these contests, please just ignore the thread.

More than 3 years ago, I remember being totally blown away by the concept behind My Arms, Your Hearse. The storyline, the lyrics, the narration, the music; the whole thing was just breathtaking. Still to this day, I feel it is the most accomplished work Opeth has ever done. On the other hand, as much as I love the way Still Life's story is told, I don't think it's as inspired as MAYH. What about you guys? Remember, this thread is about the album as a concept, not only the music so please vote only if you're familiar with both concepts.

it's a close call, the music on both albums is very good.

both stories are great, but without a doubt, MAYH is more emotional, and you can feel it through the music more than SL, methinks.

better story: SL
more emotional story: MAYH
better overall album: MAYH (though it used to be SL)

hmmm ... unless this is stated elswhere (and if so can you please post a link) what are the two storys behind the albums?
Im a relative n00b and am intrigued....

My Arms Your Hearse for concept and execution.

But Still Life for musicality.

I vote Still Life, but that's not to say MAYH is any less better. Either are superior to any of BWP, D1 & D2

scarred_earth said:
hmmm ... unless this is stated elswhere (and if so can you please post a link) what are the two storys behind the albums?

I just checked out on google and found nothing.

scarred_earth said:

MAYH - the narrator (male) dies and is trying to communicate with his loved one, but since he is a ghost, or spirit, she cannot see him. the story is told over a years time, and goes from him trying to get her attention and loving her to pure frustration and anger, and then at the end, understanding.

SL - the narrator (male) is banished from his town, due to religious beliefs, and is forced to leave behind his woman. he returns 15 years later, to find his honeybunny has found another. she still loves the narrator however. stuff happens...at the end the narrator and his bitch are killed.

deliverance said:
MAYH - the narrator (male) dies and is trying to communicate with his loved one, but since he is a ghost, or spirit, she cannot see him. the story is told over a years time, and goes from him trying to get her attention and loving her to pure frustration and anger, and then at the end, understanding.

SL - the narrator (male) is banished from his town, due to religious beliefs, and is forced to leave behind his woman. he returns 15 years later, to find his honeybunny has found another. she still loves the narrator however. stuff happens...at the end the narrator and his bitch are killed.

I think the narrator (an atheist) see God just before dying.

Rensei said:
I think the narrator (an atheist) see God just before dying.

I always thought he saw Melinda in ghost form or something like that, thus reunited them.

Nah, she's alive

unless thats a joke, no she isn't

she dies in serenity painted death

Ripped from my embrace (they were sleeping and the christian dudes took her)
Melinda reflected in shafts (shafts - rays of light so basically shes gone lol)
Red line round her neck (her neck was cut - blood = red)
Met the earth in silence (the blood falls to the ground silently)

and relating to this thread, i like the MAYH concept more but still life is a better album overall. But vote for MAYH

Pseud0 said:
unless thats a joke, no she isn't

she dies in serenity painted death

Ripped from my embrace (they were sleeping and the christian dudes took her)
Melinda reflected in shafts (shafts - rays of light so basically shes gone lol)
Red line round her neck (her neck was cut - blood = red)
Met the earth in silence (the blood falls to the ground silently)

and relating to this thread, i like the MAYH concept more but still life is a better album overall. But vote for MAYH

You are right, I missread the post. I thought he meant she was dead since the beginning.

deliverance said:
it's a close call, the music on both albums is very good.

both stories are great, but without a doubt, MAYH is more emotional, and you can feel it through the music more than SL, methinks.

better story: SL
more emotional story: MAYH
better overall album: MAYH (though it used to be SL)
Your coming around!

I actually think Opeth's non-concept albums are better. The concept simply weights their creativity down. They are better when not bound by a concept to fit each song. I enjoy listening to songs for the songs individuality, not how it relates to the album story. Give me Orchid, Morningrise, and BWP any day over the concepts.

Looking for a Job said:
well with MAYH he wrote the lyrics first, so the music is built around the lyrics, and that can't possibly be a good thing (and clearly it's not)
Then you should not like concept albums (duh).