My Arms, Your Hearse - Better than SL and BWP?

I think MAYH is absolutely Opeth's best album; I haven't been listening to Opeth much at all recently but I just revisited MAYH and it blew me away all over again. A true masterpiece, its atmosphere and emotion is just unrivaled.
Yes, that is true.
eat-drink-smiley-5170.gif

I think MAYH is absolutely Opeth's best album; I haven't been listening to Opeth much at all recently but I just revisited MAYH and it blew me away all over again. A true masterpiece, its atmosphere and emotion is just unrivaled.

It certainly has an atmosphere and feel to it that no other Opeth album has and I think that helps it stick out somewhat.

I'd sat My Arms is the most coherent Opeth album. It really feels complete. Though I do believe that trilogy of albums are all Opeth's highlights (and I was a Morningrise lover for the longest time... still a great album.

MAYH is a damn good Opeth album, as all of their albums are, but I say Still Life owns all other Opeth releases. I like every Opeth album, but just as everyone else here, some not so much as others.

Listening to MAYH while surfing the net. Swung into ultimate metal, saw this thread, turned up music, wife came in from livingroom, looked at me and closed the door.

This album freakin rocks!!!!!

I love Still Life.
I love My Arms, Your Hearse.
I love Ghost Reveries.
I love Blackwater Park.
I love Damnation.
I love Deliverance.
I love Watershed.
I love Morningrise.
I love Orchid.

Yes, I love all of Opeth equally, my love for them is spread evenly like a healthy amount of Vegemite on toast. :p

But seriously, depends on what mood I'm in, to me each album has a different feel, some more than others. I will admit I listen to Orchid, Morningrise and Watershed less than the others.
Shut up you fucking hippie :heh: Fact is Opeth used to be more album writing than song writing, but now it´s all about the induvidial songs. What does that mean? It means that songs like TLE and GOP are better songs in themselves than any song pre GR. On the other hand the wholeness of GR and WS is missing because each individual song goes in so many diff directions. If you tend to listen to albums as entities, you will prefer pre GR. If you see albums as a collections of songs that doesnt have to be related you will like GR and WS more.

MAYH is very different from SL and BWP. It's an excellent record which has amazing quality of songwriting and atmosphere, yet ultimately I think it falls a bit short of SL and BWP.

Shut up you fucking hippie :heh: Fact is Opeth used to be more album writing than song writing, but know it´s all about the induvidial songs. What does that mean? It means that songs like TLE and GOP are better songs in themselves than any song pre GR. On the other hand the wholeness of GR and WS is missing because each individual song goes in so many diff directions. If you tend to listen to albums as entities, you will prefer pre GR. If you see albums as a collections of songs that doesnt have to be related you will like GR and WS more.

Great post, where all posts before it threw out ridiculous statements like "MAYH > all" and "MAYH has an atmosphere and others don't so it wins," this post is about as true as an album opinion can get. MAYH isn't my favorite album by a longshot but I'll admit I'd prefer it over most of them if I haad to sit down and listen to an album all the way through, and in order. Whereas you probably have some pretty outlandish definition of songwriting if you think April Ethereal or The Amen Corner demonstrates better songwriting abilities than Heir Apparent or Harlequin Forest. These statements are still opinionated, but considering individual MAYH songs are so often basic chords and octaves played together but together share much more of a link than say, Hours of Wealth and The Grand Conjuration, these opinions seem pretty accurate compared to opinions like "stfu all mayh is opeth's best i bet mike agrees kthxbai"

Good album. I don't know if it is better then those two albums but my problem with it is the production on it is pretty bad. Not the best quality sound and the eq mix and volume level is poor. Unless they wanted it to sound like this but even the first album production wise sounds better.

Good album. I don't know if it is better then those two albums but my problem with it is the production on it is pretty bad. Not the best quality sound and the eq mix and volume level is poor. Unless they wanted it to sound like this but even the first album production wise sounds better.

I think MAYH sounds way better, than the first two albums AND Still Life. It has this certain... thickness and the drums are in-your-face if you know what I mean.

I think MAYH sounds way better, than the first two albums AND Still Life. It has this certain... thickness and the drums are in-your-face if you know what I mean.

Well, Lopez played a lot better on the later Opeth albums, especially on Ghost Reveries. And the drums are badly mixed.

I think Lopez kind of played differently on the latest albums(deliverance, damnation and GR) than the previous ones. I think drummers here would agree with me? I mean, his fills on the earlier albums are so great, where he does all kinds of varied splash-tom-effectcymbal-mixfills that really kicks ass.(Ex: Intro of Serenity Painted Death, the different part of Godheads Lament, Bleak) This kind of playing has changed on Ghost Reveries, Deliverance and Damnation. Example: His drumming on Beneath The Mire is much more jazzy than on the earliest albums, and his playing is a bit different. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying I think he changed some of his approach in drumming when he played in Opeth.(especially on the mellow parts)

Am I making any sense here?

I think Lopez kind of played differently on the latest albums(deliverance, damnation and GR) than the previous ones. I think drummers here would agree with me? I mean, his fills on the earlier albums are so great, where he does all kinds of varied splash-tom-effectcymbal-mixfills that really kicks ass.(Ex: Intro of Serenity Painted Death, the different part of Godheads Lament, Bleak) This kind of playing has changed on Ghost Reveries, Deliverance and Damnation. Example: His drumming on Beneath The Mire is much more jazzy than on the earliest albums, and his playing is a bit different. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying I think he changed some of his approach in drumming when he played in Opeth.(especially on the mellow parts)

I'd agree with that. I felt that perhaps with Damnation/Deliverance his style changed as you have explained and probably freed himself up a bit, but certainly doesn't have the same intensity as the eralier albums he played on. Both periods are great, but they are certainly different.

Makes a lot of sense. Lopez used his jazzy side on the later albums big time. The flips and blips and fills were perfect imo. He plays soft like a jazz drummer, but has a huge sound. Absolute perfection. The drumming more than compliments the music. It added a demention of complexity that makes ex-drummers like me sick, knowing I can never reach his level. :worship: