My Arms, Your Hearse - Better than SL and BWP?

Ninfix

Gamer of life
Nov 30, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Okay, I know sometimes when people starts a new thread, they're burned for either asking something stupid, for repeating an endless question or just being stupid. I don't know if I'll become one of them now, but here it goes...

I got My Arms, Your Hearse for christmas, and I've listened to it every day since then. I had never heard anything from the album except Demon, and I must say; this album is a masterpiece!

I try to predict my future, and I might see that MAYH is just as good as Still Life and Blackwater Park(or better?). Is there anyone here who sees this in their 3rd album, too?

Additional question: I haven't heard Morningrise of Orchid either.(Is this what I'll get burned for, maybe?) Are these albums as good as people say? I just want a little info on that before I start listening to them.

Jonas

Well....My Arms is IMO the best Opeth album along with Morningrise, I definitely think MAYH is better than blackwater park but I won't comment on Still Life as I haven't heard it fully.

Yeah that's right!!

...you're one of them.

Just kiding. I think every album are equally good (except for Orchid, but it's because I haven't payed enough attention I guess). My arms, your hearse blows. Great album.

I don't really like MAYH, for some reason it's the only Opeth album I can't really get into, everything before and after it is awesome.. But since everyone says it's great, maybe I should just listen to it more.. But to answer the question, no, I don't think it's better than SL and BWP.

MAYH = Great record? YES!

MAYH > Still Life or BWP? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Offtopic, but I think;

Watershed = Deliverance + Damnation
Ghost Reveries = BWP + Deliverance
Damnation = Still life + BWP
Deliverance = Mayh + Still life
Blackwater park = Morningrise + Mayh
Still life = Orchid + Morningrise

the first three, dunno.

Strange "calculation" but it does make some sense though, atleast with the newer albums.

Additional question: I haven't heard Morningrise of Orchid either.(Is this what I'll get burned for, maybe?) Are these albums as good as people say? I just want a little info on that before I start listening to them.

Jonas
Orchid And Morningrise are the albums that got me into Opeth tbh !! They are damn great ! every Opeth album has its unique sound and atmosphere so it's hard to say that MAYH is better than SL or BWP ;]

Although MAYH doesn't contain many of their most epic songs, it's a tie with Still Life for me simply because of the sheer number of good heavy songs. There's not a bad song on Still Life and MAYH has at least 5 awesome heavy songs. Then again my favorites change semi-daily.

Okay, I know sometimes when people starts a new thread, they're burned for either asking something stupid, for repeating an endless question or just being stupid. I don't know if I'll become one of them now, but here it goes...

I got My Arms, Your Hearse for christmas, and I've listened to it every day since then. I had never heard anything from the album except Demon, and I must say; this album is a masterpiece!

I try to predict my future, and I might see that MAYH is just as good as Still Life and Blackwater Park(or better?). Is there anyone here who sees this in their 3rd album, too?

Jonas

my friend, i love my arms your hearse as well. it is my favorite album. with tracks like demon of the fall, and credence, and karma, and when, how can you go wrong.

it's my favorite too, great thread :):cool:

MAYH is the album that got me in to Opeth and it was my favourite one for a long time, a.k.a. love at first sight(listen).
BUT now I think there are better albums, SL and BWP included. MAYH is still amazing though. April-When-Demon, can't go wrong.

I think it's a bit too easy an album. Obviously there's April Ethereal and When, but in many ways Opeth has done a lot more innovative songs that will live longer.

MAYH is vastely superior to BWP in my personal opinion. I always thought BWP was a pretty dull album. I think the reason why you like MAYH so much is because you've just got it and obviously subject to the "new-album-surge" if you know what I mean. MAYH is a great album though, my favorite together with deliverance....