My Arms, Your Hearse vs Still Life: which concept do you prefer?

Which concept do you prefer?

• My Arms, Your Hearse

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • Still Life

Votes: 43 44.3%

• Total voters
Jon Snow said:
Ok, Exhibit A: Star Wars

I love the concept. A space opera with jedi knights weilding cool light sabers and different factions fighting eachother etc. I love the concept. However, the Star Wars prequels suck because of the execution. The dialogue and acting are horrendous ( think lyrics and music to complete my analogy). Get it? The bad acting and dialogue (lyrics and music) have no effect on me liking the concept of Star Wars. Do you understand the concept of the word concept?

Let's see, what is the concept of MAYH? A Ghost trying to communicate with his loved one. That's the general idea, or concept. Would the concept be exactly the same without any spoken words? It wouldn't. I'm not saying a concept is made of lyrics but in the case of MAYH, the lyrics play a significant role to the concept.

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Im sorry if you feel insulted, but its pretty frustrating when someone refuses to understand basic english.

Look at what Jon Snow wrote. The concept is the ideas, story or theme. That is not difficult to understand.

You asked which concept we prefer. Not which has better lyrics. The lyrics only function to explain the concept; they are not the concept themselves.

Did I say that the concept is the lyrics? I didn't.

I don't think so. It can communicate emotions to a greater degree, but all the imagery you'd draw from it would be relative. Music affects different people in different ways. The lyrics are there to structure some sort of tangible boundaries by which the general flow of the music needs to coincide with the artist's vision of what they want communicated.

Well, in the classical music era there were plenty of albums which told stories.

Sorry if that explanation is a bit brief, i'll write a longer one when i've had time to think about it more.

Rensei said:
Let's see, what is the concept of MAYH? A Ghost trying to communicate with his loved one. That's the general idea, or concept.

You got it.

Rensei said:
Would the concept be exactly the same without any spoken words? It wouldn't. I'm not saying a concept is made of lyrics but in the case of MAYH, the lyrics play a significant role to the concept.

concept
-Something formed in the mind; a thought or notion.
-An abstract idea or notion

Mikael could have said MAYH is a story about a ghost trying to communicate with his lover (concept) and then made the whole album an instrumental. The story could have been told through the music. The concept would have still existed without the lyrics. Or he could have made the album completely spoken word with no instruments. It doesn't matter. The concept exists either way. The lyrics don't dictate the concept. The lyrics facilitate its expression. However, the concept does guide the creation of the lyrics.

As you say, the lyrics do play a significant role. But that role is the expression of the concept. So once again, the lyrics should not be a factor in determining which is your favorite.

1)Ghost Or 2)Braveheart

I think Ghost is better because Swayze was better in MAYH than Gibson in SL...actually, Swayze sucks. Nevermind.

Looking for a Job said:
have you ever seen swayze's brother? he looks more like swayze than swayze does...incredible

Nope, I've never seen him. Is he an actor? I've seen Eddie Murphy's brother.

NineFeetUnderground said:
neither concept is that good. but id take MAYH over still life's.

You have to agree though, they're both better than any Aryeon concept.

MAYH has the superior concept/story IMO but still life is better from a musical standpoint. I vote MAYH.

Well, in the classical music era there were plenty of albums which told stories.
I remember how good these boards were back when I used to read them everyday (before the release of 'BWP' I think it was).
It has degenerated quickly since then.