Covers of others' work you'd like to see Opeth do

Rose Immortal

Spirit of Hope
Jun 19, 2004
I'm interested in whose work you'd like to see Opeth cover, and if you have any specific songs, those too (obviously excepting material Opeth has already covered).

For instance, I'd love to hear Opeth cover something by Pink Floyd. I think the matchup would be excellent--Mikael's voice (disregarding differences in accent) is absolutely perfect for songs sung by Pink Floyd's David Gilmour. Also compare the guitar tone of MAYH (especially "Epilogue") to Pink Floyd's work--since MAYH is the "Strat" album, this gives you the closest comparison in guitar sound. Per, I expect, would do well at providing the Hammond and other keyboard backings that Pink Floyd commonly uses. Probably the best "era" of Pink Floyd for them to cover would be something from Obscured by Clouds, Dark Side of the Moon, or Wish You Were Here, though other things could work.

Any other covers you'd like to see?

i think of this subject often and frankly, id like to hear them cover any non-opeth (duh) song im listening to at the moment.
the one i think of the most is lonestar by norah jones. i think mike could really work with those lyrics. yeah, the whole thing would be funny as heck but it would be worth it.
*dorian awaits the flames*
in a different vien: i know this has been rehashed before but i dont think it too far-fetched for opeth to be on a soundtrack. i think eli roth could really work with their entire catalogue. "shivering corpse" anyone?

^oh god, what the hell are you talking shit about DT for? tell me they didnt do something that gay.

deliverance said:
here ya go pal:
The 4 Seasons:

WINTER - December - February

SPRING - March - May

SUMMER - June - August

FALL - September - November

Oh, and Shroud, David Vincent rejoined MA today, and Tucker left \m/
Cheers for that dude. And yeah, I just heard about that, fucking killer news. Here's to a rejuvinated Morbid Angel on the next album.

and in regards to the actual question of this thread...

first of all, id like to thank you for posting this, for its the first thought provoking thread in months for me. I think the addition of the keyboardist in Opeth now, could lend to any number of interesting cover song options. Here are my choices, based on my personal tastes, the bands personal tastes, and what i think the band could enjoy covering and would be capable of doing...

The Beatles - A day in the life

Black Sabbath - Symptom Of The Universe

Led Zeppelin - The Rain Song

Deicide - Dead By Dawn

Camel - Air Born

The Moody Blues - The Actor

Death - Evil Dead

Gracious - Introduction

Cressida - Home And Where I Long To Be

Whitesnake - Dont Break My Heart Again

Nick Drake - Northern Sky

Linda Perhacs - Hey, Who Really Cares

Spring - Grail

Dancer - Morning

Bathory - Equimanthorn

Spirogyra - The Furthest Point

T2 - J.L.T.

Paradise Lost - Rotting misery
Pink Floyd - Us and Them
Candlemass - The Crystal ball
My Dying Bride - Return to the Beautiful
Bathory - The return of darkness and evil
Death - Spiritual Healing
Morbid Angel - Abominations
King Crimson - Epitaph
Rush - The Camera Eye
Emerson Lake and Palmer - Still...you turn me on
The Doors - The End
Gentle Giant - Think of me with kindness
Led zeppelin - dazed and confused
Dark throne - katharian life code
Katatonia - Funeral Wedding
Korn - Faggot

I would love to hear Opeth covering some vintage Mercyful Fate. I can cleary imagine them doing "Satan's Fall" or "Melissa"! That would be sweet!

I think Mikael would also do a fine job on the Beatles "Mother Nature's Son"....he makes mellow songs even mellower!

heehee,
well i like the dream theater guy's voice...
anyway.
it occured to me last night while i was a little high that it would be more than a little kick-arse for opeth to do the 4th movement of beethoven's 9th symphony, which imho is pretty much proto-metal...
i would pretty much die happy if they did that one.
definately agree on king crimson!
maybe some floyd too.
but the beethoven would be my top pick.