Do you think you'd still like Opeth if Mike left the band?

Jan 4, 2006
California
xatal.com
I'm not an expert on Opeth by any means, but everything I've ever read/heard makes it clear that Mike writes like 90% of the songs.

But, assume for a minute that he left the band for whatever reason. Say he wanted to become Amish or something, and the band was left without a singer and guitar player. And, hypothetically, suppose they found some miscellaneous somebody to fill the spot.

Now, my question is if you think you would like Opeth's music if Mike left. I know almost everyone here would at least give it a listen to see what they think of it, but I want to know if you'd expect something good or a disappointment.

Personally, I think it'd be about mediocre, probably not as unique and varied as Opeth's stuff is today, but maybe something more along the lines of Gothenburg metal or something.

yeah, i fell in love more w/ mike than opeth as a whole, i think. cant imagine opeth w/o him. i think it would be terrible. i'd cry.

Mikael IS Opeth. If he left the band, there is no more Opeth, end of story.

If Peter, Mendez, and Lopez form a new band, I'd check it out, but it won't be Opeth.

I think the members would respect what Opeth is and let it go if mike was to leave.

It wouldnt be right to try and keep it going.

If they did their own thing i would definatly check it out, my guess is that it would be some really cool stuff and id be betting that id like it.

I also think if Opeth lost any of its members that it would a crappy thing.
I know if Mendez left i couldnt really see anyone fitting unless he was a try hard Mendez. And same goes for the rest of the guys. EVEN PER!

I do, however, think that Dan Swano could take Mike's place. Obviously it wouldn't be the exact same and the band would undergo some changes, but I do think he could keep Opeth together if he devoted himself to it.

Without mike, there is no opeth. I would bet that peter and the martins and per would agree to that. Mike is the songwriter, singer, lyricist, and lead guitarist. If a band loses someone like that, they're no longer the same band.

headbanger1547 said:
I do, however, think that Dan Swano could take Mike's place. Obviously it wouldn't be the exact same and the band would undergo some changes, but I do think he could keep Opeth together if he devoted himself to it.

yah, i think he could do a decent job live...but as far as writing new material goes...meh, i'm not one to judge, as i can't know what it would be like...but, i'm not a big fan of swano's stuff. i haven't heard much...but from what i have heard, it just doesn't do it for me...it sounds somewhat cliche and cheesy to me.