Covers of others' work you'd like to see Opeth do

For the Pink Floyd stuff, I especially like the ideas of "Careful With That Axe Eugene" and "Dogs of War". I would've never thought of the last one, but I think Opeth could do something really evil with it. :)

deliverance said:
also, i reviewed the beatles whole catalogue, to be serious with what opeth could cover of theirs. i would die laughing if they did something like "I Saw Her Standing There" or "Can't Buy my Love" but, i actually think 2 songs they would actually sound cool doing are: "The Fool on the Hill" and "Happiness is a Warm Gun" (although the vocal at 2:21 might be hard for mike haha)

How about Helter Skelter?? I'm sure they can kick that one up a notch :heh:

Rose Immortal said:
For the Pink Floyd stuff, I especially like the ideas of "Careful With That Axe Eugene" and "Dogs of War". I would've never thought of the last one, but I think Opeth could do something really evil with it.

Yeah, I can see some heavy growling in that one. :cool:

i was thinking helter skelter, too, just thought Fool on the Hill was the best pick. after hearing dimension zero's cover of skelter though, i prefer the song non-death metal haha. though the DZ cover is amusing.

Never heard that cover. The only band I heard cover that was Motley Crue a long time ago. heehee. 'Twas interesting.

i think it was shroud who said, in a slightly different thread, that it is silly for bands to cover a song that is similar in style to their own. or maybe it was LoGaP.
i agree with that. whats the point of covering some other metal band?
wouldnt it be somewhat more interesting if they covered, say, tommy the cat?

dorian gray said:
i think it was shroud who said, in a slightly different thread, that it is silly for bands to cover a song that is similar in style to their own. or maybe it was LoGaP.
i agree with that. whats the point of covering some other metal band?
wouldnt it be somewhat more interesting if they covered, say, tommy the cat?
it probably was me who said that. there could be a few reasons to do it: A. just tribute to idols. B. for fun. I cant rationalize it any other way...very well established bands to do "cover" songs doesnt seem to have much purpose in the first place, unless theyre going to do interesting and unique interpretations of the songs within the scope of their own bands style. But for a death metal band to just cover another death metal bands' song seems somewhat fruitless.

i agree with your points. the only big cover album i have is working man. i was bored to tears until i heard devin townsend on natural science and i was blown away. i think that performance fits in the category of "unique renditions".
but yeah, covers are generally fruitless. theres almost never a need to record, produce, or sell a cover album.

I want to hear:

Morbid Angel - Sworn to the Black
Santana - Black Magic Woman
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Peccatum - Murder
King Crimson - Fallen Angel
Tool - Schism

Just for stupid covers:

Burzum - War
Immortal - Blashyrk
Darkthrone - A blaze in the Northern Sky

I've always held with the theory that classical music is probably among the best out there, but that the traditional acoustic-only orchestra just doesn't offer enough variety – not to mention sheer gut-wrenching OOOOOMPH – to do it real justice.

So my nomination for an Opeth cover would be a variation on "O Fortuna" by Karl Orff.

LordHypnos said:
Linda Perhacs - Hey, Who Really Cares

Hey, that's an interesting choice. I don't think Mike could pull off the vocals, though.

My picks:

King Crimson - The Court Of The Crimson King
Blue Oyster Cult - Then Came The Last Days Of May
Nick Drake - Three Hours

{**9**}*CaptainQuark* said:
I've always held with the theory that classical music is probably among the best out there, but that the traditional acoustic-only orchestra just doesn't offer enough variety – not to mention sheer gut-wrenching OOOOOMPH – to do it real justice.

So my nomination for an Opeth cover would be a variation on "O Fortuna" by Karl Orff.

You mean "Carmina Burana"?? That could be interesting, but with or without vocals?? Can you picture Mikael singing to that??? :D

dorian gray said:
i think they should cover their own last three albums without steve wilson.
Hahaha, interesting idea there dorian. Alternatively, they could re-record all the material from the last 3 albums in their back shed, like in the good old days.