Between These Two Opeth Songs, Which Do You Think Has The Best Lyrical Work?

Which of These Songs Has The Best Lyrical Work?

• Still Day Beneath the Sun

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Isolation Years

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • Other (Has to be an Opeth song, not just sung by Mike)

Votes: 10 16.4%

• Total voters
My favourite lyrics are from the whole of the Still Life record tbh. Though I voted for Isolation Years..it's such a tragic, beautiful song, and the lyrics are brilliant, better than Still Day Beneath The Sun imo.

While Still Life does have some good lyrics, I believe Isolation Years was the peak of Mikael's writing ability.

There is a lot more 'feeling' I get from that song than any other. Isolation Years, that is.

SDBTS is very good, also.

Wasn't it a promo for Damnation?

The use of more obscure words weaving a song that fits together phonetically sounding better is preferable to me at least, it just sounds more "metal" and less generic. Take this from The Moor: "She is water drops over the pyre
A thistle in my hands
Stained and torn, aged and brown
Virtuous hell with kindred innocence"

Compared to Isolation years:" In isolation
She talks about her love
And as I read
"I'll die alone"
I know she was aching"

It's just so blah and boring. The use of words on previous albums paints a better picture IMO. Isolation years has great music, great vocals. Bad Lyrics.

Still Day Beneath The Sun... i love that song, and the lyrics, i can relate to them in a very personal way... it seems that Patterns in The Ivy (I and II) and SDBTS are part of a story...

You sure? I thought that was TNATSW.

Anyways, i voted Still Day. Both are great, idk, I just voted that one because it's an awesome song. I once got our shitty "DJ" at one of my 8th grade dances to play Isolation Years. I had told everyone what Opeth was, and when I told them that was also Opeth they were amazed.

Anyway, so many other songs have better lyrics, I just didn't want to pick one from the broad spectrum.

The use of more obscure words weaving a song that fits together phonetically sounding better is preferable to me at least, it just sounds more "metal" and less generic. Take this from The Moor: "She is water drops over the pyre
A thistle in my hands
Stained and torn, aged and brown
Virtuous hell with kindred innocence"

Compared to Isolation years:" In isolation
She talks about her love
And as I read
"I'll die alone"
I know she was aching"

It's just so blah and boring. The use of words on previous albums paints a better picture IMO. Isolation years has great music, great vocals. Bad Lyrics.

exactly. "peak of mikael's writing ability" LOL trying to sound smart but about 90% of opeth songs got better lyrics LOL

LOL

Ha... I guess it depends on how the lyrics personally effect you.

I really feel a lot of passion and musical inspiration from those two songs in particular, but Opeth has lots of other great songs.
I have to say I like the lyrical work in Watershed a lot.

Yeah, I've got to say, I'm agreeing with Umlaut the whole way through. (Sorry, my keyboard doesn't have the ability to write letters with diacritics.) 'Isolation Years' hits me pretty hard, but I've already analyzed the lyrics in a different thread, so I won't repeat myself here.

exactly. "peak of mikael's writing ability" LOL trying to sound smart but about 90% of opeth songs got better lyrics LOL

LOL

You should really consider getting a life, instead of trolling these forums trying to pick an internet fight.

Also Mantraschism, I have to copy and paste my name to log in haha.

who's trying to pick an "internet fight"? you're saying retarded things

I'd go with the entire MAYH, but since that ain't a song I'll say 'Harvest'.

'Into the orchard I hope peering way past the gate/ Wilted scenes for those who couldn't wait'

Music to wallow in.

I voted other, mainly because I think The Baying of the Hounds and Heir Apparent are two lyrical masterpieces. Of these two, Still Day Beneath the Sun.