Do you think any Opeth band member is the best at what they do?

I think Mike has one of the greatest, if not the greatest, voices, and he manages to sing and play guitar at the same time, something I can't even begin to pull off.

As for the other members, they're definitely skilled, but I wouldn't go so far as to call any of them the best at what they do.

Then again, I'm certainly not that knowledgeable on what they're capable of.

Sulu said:
It's their creativity that sets Mike and Peter above other guitarists. They may not be able to shred a guitar as quickly as others, but I prefer unique rythem and feeling over speed. What's great is at times they can combine both, which makes my dick move.

I'm quoting you because it's not only true, but you said "makes my dick move," which had me in stitches. Just thought people should get a second look at that.

Mikael is probably the best at doing everything he does, meaning the combonation of clean/metal vocals, clean/distorted guitar, and brilliant songwriting. What a deadly trifecta that is, especially when he can switch up his style so much. He might not be the best at any singular thing (well, songwriting is a possibility, albeit a small one), but he's definetly one of the music gods, atleast for me, and probably most of you.

I think Mike is the best in metal at arranging. Taking disparate pieces and riffs and combining them into beautiful and meaningful wholes. And doing so in different ways for each song to give each song its own feel and sound.

His mastery at arranging is why the stops-on-a-dime changes from clean acoustic to brutal electric and back sound so unforced and natural. And he's gotten better since Orchid.

Speaking of Jimmy Page, Corrosion of Conformity's "Stonebreaker" has an absolute mother of a Page-like intro. Great song from a great album. Check it out!

MetalManCPA said:
My obvious repsonse to this is: then don't participate in a thread where you could care less about the content.

And to your other comments........duh. Of course the bands sound depends on the individuals making it. Of course music is about the feeling it gives you. I asked an analytical question, which I fear is something you are unable to respond to.

Ahh, forget it.

Exactly, forget it, I personally don't think you understand what I'm trying to get across to you. My involvement here is no longer nessicary...