What do you do when ppl tell you that Opeth's music is good but the vox suck?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
When I say "vocals suck", I mean because they're death vocals. Recently I've been reading more and more posts about Opeth, it's like the bigger they get, the more people talk on them on forums and when someone who isn't into death metal checks them out, he comes back saying "the music is okay, but I didn't like the vocals."

What do you think when you hear this 'complaint'? Do you try to explain them why they use the death vocals or do you just ignore them?

NP: Cynic - Focus

What do you do when ppl tell you that Opeth's music is good but the vox suck?

I fucking kill them. Seriously, ive gotten that comment so many times from annoying people that I just want anyone who even thinks about saying it to die. No, really!

Initially i want to yell at them, but then i just tell them "What would sound better? Bruce Dickinson? HAH!!!"

I love the vox...

Its funny because practicaly everytime I play Opeth to somebody that is not use to extreme metal, get like this blank expression on there face, its almost as if they can't believe what there hearing vocals-wise. Its really funny just looking over at them, sitting there in dis-belief:)

My step-brother on the other hand thought the vocals were interesting, he was into it, and said that they sounded "Man-ly". Which I guess he's kind of right, I never looked at death vocals from that perpective, and now I sor t of do, well at least some of'em.;)

:cool:

People who don't like Akerfeldt's death vocals are usually people who don't listen to extreme or death metal..I was actually surpised on how many people on this message board listen to mainstream music..Most people think death vcals are to extreme or incomprehensible..Mike's death growls are very clean and emotive/expressive and the contrasts of soaring clean vocals are amazing..I love Akerfeldt's death vocals (and I listen to alot of death metal) beacuse they are so emotive..Mike could sing "get me a chesse burger" and I would just be in heaven..Mike's an excellent and very diverse vocalist.Hails..-l-

I remember not liking Death vocals at one point. But I started listening to Gothenburg stuff, which has a little lighter vocals than what I heard at first (None so vile-era Cryptopsy). Eventually I got used to them, and now I quite like even the least decipherable. Nothing else would fit that music anyway.

MFH, I don't know what's your problem and I don't know who you are but I don't give a shit. I love Pentagram/Mezarkabul, they're from my country, and I love the Metal Rules forum too. So fuck off!

I just tell them to tune out the vocals and view them as an extention of the music, and give it a few listens to get used to it.

I myself couldn't stand death vocals before I got into Opeth. When I bought "Blackwater Park" (the first Opeth album I ever bought), and the music started, I thought "this is awesome." Then, when the vocals started, my first thought was "great, puke vocals."

After the album was over, my reaction was just that: I loved the music, but not the vocals.

Originally posted by Speedkill
I remember not liking Death vocals at one point. But I started listening to Gothenburg stuff, which has a little lighter vocals than what I heard at first (None so vile-era Cryptopsy). Eventually I got used to them, and now I quite like even the least decipherable. Nothing else would fit that music anyway.

go pray to allah, turk

Originally posted by MFH_Productions
you actually posted about this on metal-fools forum, you are gayer than previously thought.

Are you the sequel to Smekermann?

Originally posted by MFH_Productions
i am superior to all.

i am the simultaneous object of : hatred, imitation, and the lust of women.

You ARE the sequel to Smekermann.

I think it's natural for anyone to have a period of adjustment to the death-style vocals. Neither myself nor any of my friends were into music with growling in it when I found out about Opeth. When I listened to their music, I originally had to focus my attention solely on the music and clean singing since I really wasn't used to the growls at all. You shouldn't freak out on someone for not initially liking the death vocals since it's probably not like any thing they're used to if they don't already listen to the more extreme varieties of metal. It's something that might take time and if they aren't willing, then it's their loss anyway... nothing to get upset about.