A musicians surprising opinion about "death vox"

BloodSword

Jan 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
:err: I attended the Opeth concert in Millvale, Pa. on Feb 18. I was there with 3 musicians from the Pittsburgh area. One who has sung lead with Roy Buchanan. I just rememberd this: I asked Billy what he thought of Mikaels vocals. He replied, " While Mikael has a great voice, I hate the death vox. It just sounds so ridiculous. But, I love Opeth's music there really is so much more than death metal happening if you listen. So, I just block out the vocals and dig the music." I said, the voice is also an instrument and I believe it is necessary to convey the music. Why else would there be vocals and lyrics, for as to strengthen the music. It's part of what Opeth are about.My opinion. I argued with this professional musician for a good hour, but to no avail. How do you block out the vocals, and just concentrate on the music? I can't do it. So, agree or disagree? What are your mature opinions? Peace. :mad:

It adds intensity. And I dissagree with ^. The fact that you CAN make out what he is saying makes it so much better. Growls are an instrument as much as a chainsaw is an instrument. But his InFleCTionS really make it sompin good.

You you gotta open your mind at first and let it grow on you. Some people just can't do that.

I just dont understand how he can block out the vocals, sounds very weird! I agree with your statement Ironbeard.

I sometiems block out the vocals, depedning on what mode I am in. I find no problem doing it, just listen to the comples sound instead But sometimes you go for the entire feel of it and then you listen to the vocals as well (I like the death vox), it's not as much blocking out one thing as focusing on an other and hence just hearing them in the background. At least for me.

since English isn't my first language it is actually very easy to not listen what he is growling about :) Lyrics myght be about swords and dragons, assbanging or jesus christ... doesn't really matter at all...

that's why I even like Extol a little... I almost can't understand a word...

although I actually can hear and understand growls, but it takes so much consentration, so that I miss whole music part...

Death Vocals have definitely grown on me. It sure beats the yelling & screaming that alot of bands have. Add to that the smooth clean vocals & awesome guitarwork & Mike has become the ultimate lead singer.

I don't see how any musicians or bands can listen to Opeth & not feel inferior.

Dez for Devildriver said during their set that "Opeth have become one of the greatest bands in rock history". Not that what Dez says means much to me, but I've never heard an opening act dish out that level of praise before.

Well, not to be pedantic or anything, but distorted guitar isn't really an accurate analogy for growling. Even when the guitar is distorted, it retains a pitch. Not so with growling. The vocal chords can't bang around to create the growl and vibrate appropriately to create a tone. If it were as simple as growling being like distorted guitar, a lot more people would be open to it. The fact that it isn't melodic is what turns people off. Kind of like (dare I even say it?) rapping. Yes, I Hate Hip Hop and all that...

Frankly, it doesn't surprise me that a professional musician doesn't care for the growling. I, however, really like it.

soundave said:
Well, not to be pedantic or anything, but distorted guitar isn't really an accurate analogy for growling. Even when the guitar is distorted, it retains a pitch. Not so with growling. The vocal chords can't bang around to create the growl and vibrate appropriately to create a tone. If it were as simple as growling being like distorted guitar, a lot more people would be open to it. The fact that it isn't melodic is what turns people off. Kind of like (dare I even say it?) rapping. Yes, I Hate Hip Hop and all that...

Frankly, it doesn't surprise me that a professional musician doesn't care for the growling. I, however, really like it.

I agree with all of this besides the "i hate hip hop' part. When I saw the subject title I honestly expected the "surprising opinion" to be that he LIKED them. No one likes death vocals besides metalheads in my experience and I go to a music school. :D

BRI said:
Growls are to clean vox what distortion is to clean guitar. ;)

no, because i know tons of people who like distorted guitar, clean guitar, and clean vox....but they hate death growls.

lol...i agree with what your saying, but its not like you can use that logic in persuading someone to like death vocals.

"alright, let me get this straight...you like clean guitar."
"yes"
"you like distorted guitar?"
"yes"
"you like clean vocals?"
"yes"
"well then...it makes no sense that you don't like death vox."
"what?"

or

"do you like clean vox?"
"no"
"oh"

okay...i'm bored, and that was all stupid.

anyway, death vox really are in their own league. the closest thing to them is probably rap. its definetely an emotionally charged rhythmic thing. although, mike uses fixed pitch in his growls, much like singing...unlike anyone i have ever heard. the first time i noticed it was on the baying of the hounds. then i started hearing it everywhere.

for example...in wreath

Human harvest burning
Blackest pages turning

okay...i know a bit about theory, so i will try to explain. when he screams human, he is a fifth above the octave...same with harvest...then the chord change comes (goes up a half step), and his vox drop a minor third. he does the same thing with blackest pages (into) turning.

has anyone ever noticed this? i have never seen a thread on it. maybe i'm the only person that has never noticed, and now you all think i'm an idiot. oh well.

wankerness said:
I agree with all of this besides the "i hate hip hop' part. When I saw the subject title I honestly expected the "surprising opinion" to be that he LIKED them. No one likes death vocals besides metalheads in my experience and I go to a music school. :D

I was referring to Mikael's first song and the irony of my comparison of his growling to rap.

Personally, I have no beef with hip hop. Even tracked some of it for a HS friend when I worked in my college's recording studio. It was fun.

JoeVice said:
no, because i know tons of people who like distorted guitar, clean guitar, and clean vox....but they hate death growls.

lol...i agree with what your saying, but its not like you can use that logic in persuading someone to like death vocals.

"alright, let me get this straight...you like clean guitar."
"yes"
"you like distorted guitar?"
"yes"
"you like clean vocals?"
"yes"
"well then...it makes no sense that you don't like death vox."
"what?"

or

"do you like clean vox?"
"no"
"oh"

okay...i'm bored, and that was all stupid.

anyway, death vox really are in their own league. the closest thing to them is probably rap. its definetely an emotionally charged rhythmic thing. although, mike uses fixed pitch in his growls, much like singing...unlike anyone i have ever heard. the first time i noticed it was on the baying of the hounds. then i started hearing it everywhere.

for example...in wreath

Human harvest burning
Blackest pages turning

okay...i know a bit about theory, so i will try to explain. when he screams human, he is a fifth above the octave...same with harvest...then the chord change comes (goes up a half step), and his vox drop a minor third. he does the same thing with blackest pages (into) turning.

has anyone ever noticed this? i have never seen a thread on it. maybe i'm the only person that has never noticed, and now you all think i'm an idiot. oh well.

Wow, we were writing the exact same thing at the exact same time. Weird.

soundave said:
Wow, we were writing the exact same thing at the exact same time. Weird.

yah, noticed that too. but, it couldn't be because great minds think alike...becuase my mind is greater than all.

except, you oughta check out that section in wreath that i explained. tell me if you hear it too.