• No

Votes: 48 36.6%

• Total voters

~random~

Longing for the Darkness
May 20, 2006
The Moor
www.heresy.batcave.net
I was just wondering how many Opeth fans there are out there that aren't musicians or study music or something. I noticed this with my friends, where we all enjoy metal, but only those of us involved with music a little more technically actually appreciate Opeth. The others seemed to think they're boring or couldn't understand the great compositional techniques involved with the band. What are your thoughts on this? I believe that you can understand better where Opeth's coming from musically if you're a musician yourself, but what would I know?

I've got a friend who really likes opeth and doesnt play any instruments at all, he is kinda strange and violent though

My only friend that has at least a minimal appreciation for metal can't get into Opeth. Of course he doesn't really want to and is pretty close-minded about music.
Every time he comes over he wants me to play the same fuckin' Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Blue Oyster Cult, and some rap unmentionables ( :erk: ). I put on some Opeth or Katatonia or anything that hasn't been played on the radio a couple billion times and he tells me to turn it off.
Then we shred a bowl and listen to some Tool. That makes it all better.

the more you understand the technical side of music, the more you appreciate opeth.

but while still being as technical as hell, they can be dramatically melodic to the uneducated ear...that's the reason why they are such a huge attack. most nu-prog bands miss out on that aspect.

there you go

Opeth is love it or hate it! There's no in-between. You can't just like Opeth a little. That's the reason why the Opeth-fans are so fanatic, haha!

Actually, most of the fans at the roundhouse gig were about 15yrs old and very dissapointed that they didn't play The Grand Conjuration. I know what you mean though but really there are heaps of people who are half arsed fans. I hate them and hope that they all become prematurely deaf at the age of 16.

Thanks for listening and have a nice day:p

In the the piecemeal, self-taught way that a lot of guitarists study music I suspect many forum members here do, myself included. I doubt many people here have a BA in music or anything like that though.

Well, a degree in music doesn't mean you can appreciate it but it does go a long way. I don't think knowing your key signatures, cadences and the principles of counterpoint assist in appreciating Opeth. Probably the opposite.

I don't think knowing your key signatures, cadences and the principles of counterpoint assist in appreciating Opeth. Probably the opposite.

why so?

you see things in opeth most metal bands dont care to or are afraid to or dont know how to incorporate in their music...and they do it tastefully. why should that have a negative effect on the listener? i can understand a devoted jazz or classical listener when he/she says opeth's music doesnt mean much to them, but this band walks on unfooted territory in metal.

could someone please explain to me why having studied music at school would make someone NOT appreciate opeth?

I don't play any instrument for the moment (although I am planning to play bassguitar when I have time again, in a couple of years or so perhaps) ... and I understand that I'm missing out on technical stuff, an other layer I'm not able to appreciate yet unfortunately ... simply don't have the time to study it a bit more.
but I still appreciate opeth a lot, and I understand when music is simple and boring, and when it is interesting and complex ... I think that has more to do with listening to music a lot, and lots of different bands, for many years, and you start developing a feeling for it .. music that I was really into years ago now bore me to death because it's so simple.
perhaps that is why I often can't explain why I like some music, and don't like other music ... it's just a feeling.