Opeth and my crystal ball: Predictions for the next album

i can see mike reading this shit and lol-ing. i personally will be happy with whatever musical direction they go, and i'm certain that their next album will be as epic as those preceding it. i do however like moments like in hessian peel "the light comes on", i'm still not certain which i like more, songs like master's apprentices which start and end heavy but have a mellow part in the middle, or songs like hessian peel, which starts out kinda mellow and then gets heavy. either way i will always love opeth and i'm certain that their next studio album will be nothing less than totally fucking mind-blowing.

on the other hand, maybe mike is planning on making a "greatest hits" cd. rofl
or an anthology or some shit like that, lol, you never know what's going on inside His head, hahaha

Ümlaut;7384005 said:
Mike will probably find Jesus and make a gospel record.

rofl at that^

[edit] on second thought, no!!! (i know you're just joking though)
it reminds me of the christian death metal bands. ewww, no thanks. there's nothing worse than ppl growling "i love jesus" over heavy guitar riffs and blastbeats.

Mike will announce that the new album will have a progressive rap death metal feel to it this time round with growls and rhyming being mixed this time round:heh:

Mike will announce that the new album will have a progressive rap death metal feel to it this time round with growls and rhyming being mixed this time round:heh:

lol, sweet, is per gonna spin records, like a fucking dj? rofl

J/K!!!!!

I think they'll explore more instruments and do their thing with that.

although i do love the addition of orchestral instruments such as on WS, and with no lack of love for per, i would like to hear another album with more guitar/bass/drums/vox, the way it used to be i guess, maybe a few keys here and there. kinda like how per seems to kinda stay in the background during the old songs, then he comes out with the hammond organ or something on like the really heavy riffs. i dunno, i'm not hating on per or the band as a whole or mike's songwriting at all.

but i think it's too soon to speculate on what the next albumw ill be like. i think we should just continue to enjoy watershed and the albums preceding it, and let mike do whatever he wants to do. either way, i will forever love opeth, no matter what.

Dunno what the next album will be like ... but after that they'll go on an extended world tour with Metallica opening up for them.

It's Opeth, whatever they release is going to kick ass in one way or another.

Mike will say "this is going to be the most evil record ever"...and it'll be just beautiful..lush melodies, some growls, more avant-garde in places..don't worry, I'm sure it'll be interesting, particularly if the lineup is stable for a while now..

off topic: i just listened to the whole watershed album and the growl 'overheard us talking' (especially the first time) on lotus eater really scares me, it makes me think of someone who found his son eavesdropping outside the door and now he's gonna bash him in the face with a sledgehammer. so angry!
so anyone thinks the same?

It depends on what obscure/psych 60's & 70's music Mike is listening to at the time

Not that he seemed to lack enthusiasm in years past, but he seems refreshed to have the current line-up. He's mentioned a few times that Opeth doesn't sound like a tired band who's just churning shit out. I agree. They are definitely expanding their sound with each album.

I expect even less death vox & more solo's for Freddie, which is fine with me
I really like his addition on the new album.

I know it's a little premature to be wondering what the next album will be like as the current one has only just come out. BUT, where do you think Opeth are going musically, considering the range of new influences that are currently jostling for position in Opeth's sound?

As your dear friend it pains me to say this is an epic fail of a post. Premature is an understatement. Plus, I think second guessing the next Opeth album will be an exercise in futility.