The Next Album

WhiteWater

New Metal Member
Jan 5, 2009
After many, many listens to Blackwater Park, I have finally gotten used to Opeth's growling. I can't say I really like it, aside from a few cases (namely "Bleak" and "The Drapery Falls"), but I can at least stand it.

Anyway, now that I am finally an Opeth fan, I would like to know, what album should I listen to next? I've heard that Damnation is lighter and has little to no growling, but now that I have a sense for their style, I kind of like the mix. What is the next logical step?

Congratulations, welcome to the world of death metal! :headbang:

"Ghost Reveries" or "My Arms, Your Hearse" would be my recommendation (take a few listens of course!). Damnation has a lot of growers but it's more of a special Opeth album, because there is no mix of both styles.

I'd go for Ghost Reveries. Make sure you give it a chance cuz it'll grow on you. It took some time before i really could enjoy the album but now it's one of my favourite ones.

I would definately not recommend deliverance, its way too harsh (which is why I adore it) Ghost reveries or still life would be my bet, still life probably has the best mix between growls/cleans up to this date of all opeth albums (in my opinion)

Damnation has no growling at all. It's not even metal. It's an excellent album and I am sure you will like it, but if you want something closer in style to Blackwater Park (meaning metal), I would recommend Ghost Reveries as it has less growling than the previous albums and I personally think is one of their strongest albums. Some would suggest Watershed as it has even less growling, but I don't really like that album.

id say watershed just because it seems to be the best option for you while you fully get use to the growling it only has 3 growling songs on it

I kind of envy you, White Whater. You've got some really fantastic music ahead of you. I second (or third, or fourth, or whatever) the suggestions for Ghost Reveries. ALL of their albums are excellent....some, however (Like MYAY or Orchid) may take a little more "getting used to" than others. But Ghost Reveries (and behind that one, possibly Still Life and then Deliverance) is an excellent place to start. And by all means...even though it isn't metal...you should check out Damnation. It's not their usual material, but it's among their best, IMHO.

Always the same fucking thread everyweek. This should be a sticky thread.

"WHAT ALBUM FROM OPETH SHOULD YOU LISTEN"

Answer : "ANY, and if possible, EVERY ALBUMS FROM OPETH"

*sigh!*...every album is great. Dot. Nobody can pretend to know which album you SHOULD listen next.

Definitely Still Life. A lot of fans (including myself) say it's Opeth's best. It's got growls, but not like Deliverance or Orchid have. Anyway, it's only seven songs, all of which are awesome, two of which have no growling at all.

don't choose, let fate decide for you and roll the dice.

you will need a 6 sided dice

roll for....

1-Orchid
2-Morningrise
3-Still Life
4-My arms your hearse
5-Ghost Reveries
6Deliverance

Start listening from the first album (Orchid) to Watershed (the latest one) and you'll enjoy all of em, and u can notice the progression of these musicians. But make sure that u are about to discover one of the greatest bands of all time