Opeth and my crystal ball: Predictions for the next album

TheWyvern

Oct 22, 2006
I know it's a little premature to be wondering what the next album will be like as the current one has only just come out. BUT, where do you think Opeth are going musically, considering the range of new influences that are currently jostling for position in Opeth's sound?

Do you think they will sell out like KISS and spawn fuck loads of Opeth merchandise? Akerfeldt action figures? (with Karate-chop action)

I'm guessing more enigmatic song structures and avant-garde-isms a la the lotus eater. The last two records have also seen Opeth expanding their sound palate with different timbres and textures by way of new instruments so I expect that trend to continue as well.

Also, they will start incorporating cluster chords and polytonality, and Tuvan throat singing will become Mike's new obsession and will be featured prominently.

Yeah I kinda see it going one of two ways, either super melodic, with lush queen-esque vocal arrangements etc or more kinda extended, like Opeth's take on Yes, more use of keyboards, less tight structures. Whats Tuvan throat singing btw?

I've heard that growling is kind of a subset of overtone singing.

Basically, I think all bets are off for the next album. Only thing I count on is that it'll still be progressive death metal, more or less (in the case of 'Watershed', it's 'less'). My biggest hope is that it'll be heavier. I don't care how 'evil' or 'dark' it is, I just want some more damned harsh vocals and heavy guitars.

i dont remember who said watershed is "death rock" but it was defintely one of my favorite posts ever on this board

oh found it it was metalmaster lol

i think the next album will be their best. seeing watershed this strong, and that with 2 new guys. i have no other reason to believe that the next album will be awsome.
by that time, they will know eachother inside out and play up to that level.

Well it took them a lot to come up with watershed, maybe due to the massive touring, but it seems to me to be a drive down, like watershed is gonna be the last, or they'll be away for a long time.
just a guess...