Opeth - The Next Album

Static said:
I hope they jazz up the guitars a bit with some better melodic lines, not so much chugging and such.
Yeah, I think the chugging is very boring, they've used it on the last 2 albums (minus damnation of course) and I really can't understand why. more melody, more creative bass lines, more acoustic guitar, more atmosphere.

reason clean vocals don't get old for me is variety. There are so many ways to sing, some good, some bad. I just have heard so many death vocals, and I think it may have run it's course. Now if someone could come up with something different and interesting...

Right, they can do the rasping black metal vocals. Or grinding ones like Carcass. Or maybe put their voices through a synthesizer like every other reatrd who thinks she can sing does nowadays. Sounds real great.

Now if someone could come up with something different and interesting...[/QUOTE said:
I must be on the wrong forum. Opeth seems to be the one of the very few
bands that actually make the growled vocals work.
Opeth have always made it different and interesting in my humble
Opethinion.

Nothing wrong with "cookie monster" style vocals, it suits the music well.
It's not he's singing about how he loves the world etc..
this is heavy shit, not some pansy shit!

I think you are missing the point. It doesn't have to be pansy, it doesn't have to be cheap, it doesn't have to be gay. A singer is not any of these just because he SINGS. If you think that, you are closed-minded. Think of other singers who are good, but not pansies (your words) I like John Bush for instance. I don't think he's not aggressive. It can be done..don't be close-minded people. This is, after all, Opeth. I thought their fans could adjust and accept.

Fucking hell, now everyone's critisizing death metal and growls. I bet most of you listen to Pain of Salvation and Dream Theater and think that 'extreme metal' is for big, hairy, dumb guys.

Get a grip.

it's called DEATH METAL.

you know why it's called that? because of the GROWLING VOCALS!

if you don't like growls listen to something else. The clean vocals combined with the growling is a vital part of what makes OPeth kick ass! It's about dynamics, and musicality. Why would Mikael, possibly the best death metal growler on the planet just give that up?

Like he has said himself, it's understandable that people don't like it, or "get it" and if you don't...well that's too bad. It's an aquired taste and that's why death metal continues to be an underground fixture in the music industry.

ummm, dummy, you didn't listen to what I said before. I said I have been listening
to death metal since 1987, or about the year you were born. Don't "get it?" I have "got it" longer than you ever had. I also know about dynamics as well. If fact ,the best band that I saw what Opeth does now is Cynic, who I saw open up for Cannibal Corpse. So you could say I kinda go back a ways.
Oh boy, I guess closed minded is still in vogue. That's why local bands have 10 people watching them with their arms crossed. I am only 1 man who had an opinion. I would respect you if you had one I didn't agree with. How about trying to respect someone else's?

drowssap said:
ummm, dummy, you didn't listen to what I said before. I said I have been listening
to death metal since 1987, or about the year you were born. Don't "get it?" I have "got it" longer than you ever had. I also know about dynamics as well. If fact ,the best band that I saw what Opeth does now is Cynic, who I saw open up for Cannibal Corpse. So you could say I kinda go back a ways.
Oh boy, I guess closed minded is still in vogue. That's why local bands have 10 people watching them with their arms crossed. I am only 1 man who had an opinion. I would respect you if you had one I didn't agree with. How about trying to respect someone else's?

taking away opeth's growls would be taking away one of the essential parts that makes them sound different from most of the groups out there. douchebag. get off your high horse adn just appreciate them for what they are instead of wishing they'd change just for your sake, because your bored with growling. Listen to something else then and quit whining.