The next Opeth?

Raining Blood

Original Gangsta
Jun 11, 2001
Mass
I know I'm pushing it here...

But when do you think the next Opeth release will come?

I mean, in 6 years, they have released 5 albums, so it's not like they are a type of band to take long ass breaks between records. I'd say we'll probably see something from them by the end of 2002.

I'd say that the end of next year is a bit of a push.
Considering that this is the first time Opeth is doing much touring, two consequences will most likely result.

They will not have as much time to write.

They will show many different influences on the successive album. Most bands really make a noticable change in songwriting after being introduced to new music while on the road.

I think this means that we will have to wait until 2003 for a new Opeth, and I think it should be very different from previous material. I just hope they don't get 'writer's block' and have to release a live album or something like that .

I've noticed that with each succesive release Opeth has become more and more accesible, i don't think anyone can argue with that, and therefore i think their next album will be more accessible, i also think it will not be a concept album and will probably have another all acoustic song (as those seem really popular) and maybe a short (5-6 minutes long) brutal number. hmmm, it seems like i'm saying they'll sell out..... maybe that's what i'm fearing, it won't be a concious sell out, they won't think "hey, people really like Demon Of The Fall and Harvest, so let's make an album full of those two songs", but they'll think "Demon Of The Fall was getting great responses on tour, we should have another one like that". Someone wrote that he believes that Opeth's next album will be more adventurous and innovative, i think it seems like they're comftorbal with how SL and BWP sound and they won't mind having another similar album...

Hmmm I don't think Opeth would be selling out by making a short brutal song...

Being a musician is being a showman, in part...and in a show you need to get the people moving (at least....a heavy metal show...)
So, for the fans, they can make a short violent one (and 6 minutes isn't short by most death metal standarts...but Opeth never cared for standarts :)) and not be selling out. Selling out is trying to get more fans (thus more money) by making more appealing music. That infers changes made to music just to get in touch with people that would have nothing to do with the band in the first place. If Opeth wanted to get in touch with all the people that would already be receptive to their music, by touring much/promoting/etc., it's not selling out. If they direct their music in the sole intent of getting more fans, it is selling out.

Since one of Opeth's many sides are (controlled and reflective) brutality and (controlled and reflective :p) ballads, it wouldn't be selling out to put songs like these in another album. Not doing so (per example, making a one song CD such as A Pleasant Shade of Grey from Fates Warning) would indeed be a good surprise or evolution, but they don't need to.

I think that accessibility in metal is something really touchy. It can get mixed up with emotionally-charged art. Some accessible brutal death metal (let's say...Six Feet Under) doesn't differ at first earing from researched, artistically fullfulling death metal (Cryptopsy). So a sound change doesn't indicate at all a move towards accessability, at least in my opinion :) and since opinions are worth nothing, you all just lost 3 minutes reading this post :).

If they do release such a thing, I hope they make sure it doesn't suffer from all the usual live-album flaws.