Opeth - The Next Album

I don't know how the hell you noticed those similarities, but I'm sure that Opeth will never reach the level of garbage that Metallica has achieved...entertaining post either way

Maybe emotional isn't the right word...

What I mean is, you can tell by the furious and unforgiving style of the first albums that they were penned by angst-ridden teenagers. The music they wrote was important to them at the time, and it's easy to be angry and write loud music when you're 17. Life sucks!

Now they (Metallica) are all old rich men. What do they have to be angry about?? The volume and speed may still be there (in some form or another) but the emotion is all gone.

Make sense?

you do realize that 95% of those supposed "similarities" aren't actual facts, but rather your own taste, right?

oh, and orchid and morningrise aren't "unforgivingly heavy". Listen to some death metal.

1) Opinions are allowed on this forum, right?

2) I am comparing the first two albums to the rest of Opeth's works, not all of death metal.

Rock on, dude.

Wolftribe is right. wwallinga, a majority of those similarities arent strong points. And MAYH is the heaviest Opeth album, bar none.

I hope the next album has an all black cover...maybe a very hard to see grey snake int eh corner..that would be cool.

oh yeah...if it sold 25 million copies..I"d be cool with that too.

Ok, so nobody will agree with this, don't care, I worship Damnation.

I want to hear another all clean singing album, but rather than the 70s prog-rock song structuring, all the mellow atmospherics and sing along choruses, I want to hear a true prog-metal album, like Deliverance without the death aspect but still with the chops and breaks, and the more menacing atmospherics. And with more crazy times and tech stuff. And some fast beats, nobody on earth would expect that.

Do the exact opposite of St. Anger, make a massive progression in sound. And have it not make people's ears squirt puss and blood upon listening to it. "INVISIBLE KID, NEVER ATE ALL HIS BEANS, NEVER.."... what the fuck....

Man, this Opeth comparison to Metallica (of all bands) is quite sickening. Though I do think that their next release will be a definite benchmark in their career, hopefully it will make them and not break them. I am definitely hoping for the best ofcourse. Mmmmm, k, dont you think mister slave? Ummm humm.

wwallinga said:
What I mean is, you can tell by the furious and unforgiving style of the first albums that they were penned by angst-ridden teenagers. The music they wrote was important to them at the time, and it's easy to be angry and write loud music when you're 17. Life sucks!

Would you stop reminding me? :bah:

I try to write mellow, I really do... I just don't think I'll have any closure until I'm in my 30's. We'll see though.

The Grimace said:
Ok, so nobody will agree with this, don't care, I worship Damnation.

I want to hear another all clean singing album, but rather than the 70s prog-rock song structuring, all the mellow atmospherics and sing along choruses, I want to hear a true prog-metal album, like Deliverance without the death aspect but still with the chops and breaks, and the more menacing atmospherics. And with more crazy times and tech stuff. And some fast beats, nobody on earth would expect that.
Sorry to disappoint you dude, but it's not going to happen.

The only reason Opeth did DAMNATION, and I'm sure Mikael can confirm this for me, is that when they decided to record the album, Mikael and Peter lost both of their special guitars, which were forged by Satan in hell for the sole purpose of writing evil riffs and blasphemous solos (I heard Hetfield and Hammit stole it, but were not strong enough to yield to its satanic might, and therefore gave the world the abortion known as ST. ANGER). Fortunately for all of us, Satan finally check his answering machine and got Mikael and Peter a new pair of guitars. Unfortunately, Hetfield and Hammit still have theirs... :(

John Gargo said:
The only reason Opeth did DAMNATION, and I'm sure Mikael can confirm this for me, is that when they decided to record the album, Mikael and Peter lost both of their special guitars, which were forged by Satan in hell for the sole purpose of writing evil riffs and blasphemous solos (I heard Hetfield and Hammit stole it, but were not strong enough to yield to its satanic might, and therefore gave the world the abortion known as ST. ANGER). Fortunately for all of us, Satan finally check his answering machine and got Mikael and Peter a new pair of guitars. Unfortunately, Hetfield and Hammit still have theirs... :(

hehehehe...

I think that the cookie monster vocals have to go. I might be dating myself here, but I've been hearing these type of vocals since someone let me borrow Death Leprosy when I was 17. Frankley, I'm sick of it. You don't have to sound like Journey, but Mikael doesn't anyway. Thoughful lyrics, sang smartly. Aggressive, but tasteful. If there is anyone who could do this is Mikael. Chuck Schuldiner ( RIP my friend) had the forward thinking that the vocal style had run it's course. Control Denied was what Opeth should eventually strive for. Just on a higher level.

drowssap said:
I think that the cookie monster vocals have to go. I might be dating myself here, but I've been hearing these type of vocals since someone let me borrow Death Leprosy when I was 17. Frankley, I'm sick of it. You don't have to sound like Journey, but Mikael doesn't anyway. Thoughful lyrics, sang smartly. Aggressive, but tasteful. If there is anyone who could do this is Mikael. Chuck Schuldiner ( RIP my friend) had the forward thinking that the vocal style had run it's course. Control Denied was what Opeth should eventually strive for. Just on a higher level.
In my view, Opeth's death vox work well.
HOWEVER, I would be just as happy if Mikael dropped them completely.

His clean voice is just TOO good.